Author Topic: 9" slotted faceplate  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
9" slotted faceplate
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Having a root around RDG site and I came across a Myford 9" t-slotted face plate for very reasonable money. In fact, with my 5% discount card it only came to just over 33 squid all in.

If you have a Myford, or as I do, a way to hold Myford fittings on both my mill and lathe, it is a bargain.

In a couple of seconds, I transformed my 6" RT to a 9" one.

The other bonus for me is that the 8mm clamping set that fits all my other t-slotted items, fits this one as well.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
Re: 9" slotted faceplate
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
What a good price, and a very handy setup.  Thanks for showing, John.  You're always giving me ideas.
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
That's a good idea. I may have to make something like that for my tiny 4" RT
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:49 AM »
Thanks for the hit. I bought it....although I have no Myfor lathe. I was hoping bit more meat on the back to ti fit it onto one of the other lathes. I am affraid that it will warp if I remove webbing (spokes?) on the back at 130 or 140 mm diameter to fit it into anothe lathe, also the back would pretty slim then.

Is there any cheap close to this size face plate for 130/140 dia back plate? Smaller lathe has a register of 95 mm dia.

I gues I could fabricte adapter between this Myford style face plate and lathe back plate. Probaly I should face off a lot of that Myford boss and leave just enough boss (outside) to register onto this adapter. Rest would be milling excercise to greate flats into face plater back for bushes and drilling/tapping.

Maybe there would be another cheap source of this size cast iron or steel disc taht could be milled/turned into face plate. Fly-wheel liberated from junked car engine would look likely canditate....Hmm.

PekkaNF