Author Topic: Which machine annoys you most?  (Read 48102 times)

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Which machine annoys you most?
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »
The tool that annoy me the most is my left hand as it never knows what the right hand is doing,
 :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but that makes me qualified as a politician, or better still a prime minister.
Trev

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »
My shop Vac. It's really handy, But, Its always in the way. I can't seem to find a good spot for it.

Wes

Easey peasey. My vac is suspended in the roof of the shed and I just pull the hose down when I need it(whilst leaving the vac up there). :thumbup:
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline ven

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
Those tin snips, previously mentioned, with inwardly-curving handles that immediately raise a blood blister as they close on your palm. Why-ever did they make them.  I think that Gilbow, possibly, made some with straight handled ones called 'No-nip'.
Soft vice jaws - I have never solved the problem of vice jaws clattering to the floor when both hands are full and you are moving the bar with your knee.

Offline loply

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
Soft vice jaws - I have never solved the problem of vice jaws clattering to the floor when both hands are full and you are moving the bar with your knee.

Every pair I've ever seen had magnets fitted to the back so they stick to your vice.

I copied this idea when I made my "three widgety bits of round stock used for bending things back to straight" (TM) which have magnets on the back of em so they stick to the vice jaws.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
I simply replaced the steel vice jaws with a couple of pieces of solid aluminium bar. Best thing I did. I always used vice guards anyway.

Jim

Offline chipenter

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »
My depth gauge turns into a random number machine , I spend more time cleaning it than using it .
Jeff

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 06:25:39 AM »
Question for Bill Todd,

Regarding your heavy tailstock, have you thought of aircushioning it, I once worked on a large crank grinder with the same problem (it even had a rack and pinion).

So we drilled a 3/8" dia deep hole from the handle end, either side of the guides to within an inch of the front.

Then drilled 1/32" holes from the base up into the freshly drilled gallery, at about an inch apart, not sure if we didn't enlarge these after a trial run.

Tapped the gallery holes 1/4" BSP, then coupled together an airline to feed both sides at the same time(obviously).

As far as I can remember it worked satisfactorily.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Online BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
Hi,

Yes, other people have suggested this as well :)

I'm loathed to drill holes in my standard tail stock but...

I have acquired another tail-stock from a different Hardinge lathe, with the intention (and  it it will take me a while) of  converting it into a wheel/lever tail-stock , that one is already drilled for a pneumatic lift/float .

Bill

quote author=rotorhead link=topic=4845.msg89828#msg89828 date=1364466339]
Question for Bill Todd,

Regarding your heavy tailstock, have you thought of aircushioning it, I once worked on a large crank grinder with the same problem (it even had a rack and pinion).

So we drilled a 3/8" dia deep hole from the handle end, either side of the guides to within an inch of the front.

Then drilled 1/32" holes from the base up into the freshly drilled gallery, at about an inch apart, not sure if we didn't enlarge these after a trial run.

Tapped the gallery holes 1/4" BSP, then coupled together an airline to feed both sides at the same time(obviously).

As far as I can remember it worked satisfactorily.
[/quote]
Bill

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »
The black elastic band on a pair of gas welding goggles.

Tiny printed charts of change gear combinations for screw cutting, attached to the inside cover of a Craftsman/Atlas 12" lathe.

Anything attached with small allen screws more than 5 years old and exposed to damp. (like what do I own that isn't?)

Calipers when measuring a round piece in the 3 jaw. Particularly digital calipers where the LCD is not correctly oriented to the light, while craning neck over tailstock to observe.

4 jaw chucks. Maybe that will change as soon as I make a second chuck key.

Allen keys in general.

The grinder. I don't like any tool I have to take shelter from immediately after turning on.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
I find that the machine that generates the greatest annoyance factor is my drill press.  The chips and swarf coming off that are usually the long stringy curls that are flung in all directions onto the floor.  they don't sweep up easily, and when the broom does herd them into a pile, they snag into the bristles of the broom.  I banished it to the cold garage, which adds a further annoyance to any drilling operation.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
Hi,

I find the easiest way of controlling long stringy swarf is to make only short drilling stabs, and hold the vacuum hose nozzle close to gobble it up.

Failing that, the wife will insist on cleaning up after me, to keep it all out of her domain....

Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
My shop Vac. It's really handy, But, Its always in the way. I can't seem to find a good spot for it.

Wes
put it on the other side of the wall and pull the hose (or plumb pcv pipe ) then you only play with the hose that can hang up.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2013, 05:30:45 PM »
I simply replaced the steel vice jaws with a couple of pieces of solid aluminium bar. Best thing I did. I always used vice guards anyway.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7643.msg90401.html#msg90401

I knew I'd seen that idea, somewhere.  :thumbup:

David d
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:52 PM »
My pleasure David, I have learned heaps from you.

Jim

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
Which machine annoys you most?
For me it would have to be anything that makes sawdust !!!

Rod
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 04:09:30 AM »
The magnetic stand that is used to support a DTI. It takes me a ridiculous amount of time to get the DTI positioned where it's needed. I know I'm only a newbie but unlike most things I've learned since starting this model engineering lark, it doesn't seem to get any quicker each time I use it.  :bang:

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 04:30:32 AM »
The magnetic stand that is used to support a DTI. It takes me a ridiculous amount of time to get the DTI positioned where it's needed. I know I'm only a newbie but unlike most things I've learned since starting this model engineering lark, it doesn't seem to get any quicker each time I use it.  :bang:

Gary

Gary, I am just a noob too and initially had trouble with this too but assuming you are using it on a lathe, I found the best way was to set it up with the stand on the compound at the back of the work and the top arm at right angles pointing towards the chuck. You just need to chuck a piece up and wind the compound towards you until it  touches the work. For my new lathe, I made a tool holder for it but have yet to use the 4 jaw chuck as the bigger 3 jaw does all the stuff I could not do before.

RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
Gary

Oh yes, forgot about that one. Mine seems to have magnetized everything I own somehow, as well. Swarf sticks to whatever I don't want it on -- chuck keys, Allen wrenches, tapered centers, etc. It's the only thing magnetic in my shop, (or was) so I know what to blame!

I'm going to make a squared bar adapter to set a DTI in the tool holder, as shown in the post above, and banish magnets from the shop.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Hi Rod,

I was meaning more like truing a bore in a 4-jaw chuck something like this

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Measurement/Dial_indicators/DTI_centering_bolt_y.jpg

I hope links are allowed. Apologies if I've broken any rules.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline matthew_g

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 03:17:04 AM »
I painfully remember a machine that was fun to repair, but a pain in neck to use. :bang:

My shaper - although I should say my former shaper (7" Atlas) since I made repairs to it and sold it some years ago.

The mechanism that moved the ram and moved the table was fun to watch.  Sort of like a Victorian magic box.  But getting the slop out of the ram and the table required removing shims and re-scraping several cast iron surfaces.  I re-machined the crank lever and made a new crank block out of wearite (aluminum bronze).  Cutting keyways and dovetails worked, but setup was way too fussy.  It was just overly complex compared to the modern milling machine and broach set that replaced this machine.

I was offered a Cincinnati Shaper (hydraulic drive) sitting in a field outside a machine shop about 25 years ago - free if I wanted to cart it off.  In one of the few moments of clarity that I have had in this hobby, I respectfully declined.
Your Mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love both my shapers an 11" and a 24".
I use the pair of them on an almost daily basis, I have a horizontal and a turret mill as well. But there are so many things that shapers are much better suited to.
Matt
I never enter a battle of wit with an unarmed person

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2013, 05:43:22 AM »
Calipers when measuring a round piece in the 3 jaw. Particularly digital calipers where the LCD is not correctly oriented to the light, while craning neck over tailstock to observe.

Most of other stuff....I feel your pain. I feel your pain. But there is a cure on one ailment. Get a left hand caliper. Smallest one.
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/digital-dial-vernier-calipers/left-handed-digital-calipers-150mm-6.html
I don't have that one, but something of same form factor.

One friend got one that has BIG numbers and it was clear, don't remember if it was backlit or the light from the tailstock side just showed numbers clearly, but even I could read it half way across the room. Had also autostart/powersave or something. Right when you moved it it woke up and fell asleep after a minute. AND it it did not loose position. Just what doctor orderdered.

Pekka

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »

Grizzly has both dial and digital, left hand, calipers. I keep one of their dial calipers at my lathe for just the situation you describe.

Joe