Author Topic: Broken Sako rifle  (Read 10705 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Broken Sako rifle
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
A friend has a broken Sako rifle. The part is not available from Sako any more. So I'm going to give it a go. I'll post a picture of the part that I'm making soon. it is connected directly to the firing pin.

I really love running my new shaper!!! Today I ran it for nearly three hours. Time seemed to fly by. Here is the start of my little part. It started out as 1.5" shaft. I roughed out the profile a little on my mill. Then transferred it to my shaper. Once I managed to line everything up and get a tool ground it went really smoothly. My set up wasn't the best, but it worked. I'll send you a picture tomorrow of how it turned out. The ones I took were all blurry?

I saw a dividing Gizmo one time that had a center built into it. It was made for a shaper. It would have been perfect for this job. To have relief for the tool to clear I had to turn the shaft down to about .425". That made things a little flexy. But I got it. After shaping the outside. I transferred the part back to my mill. I'm working on the rest of the part now.

Stay tuned for more pictures.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:49:59 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Broken Seiko rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
The material is 4340. I wish some of my other pictures turned out this nice. These were strait off the mill. The shaping went really good. This is the second part ever on my new shaper. Most was feeding with the compound, moving the clapper up and down. But I did power feed across the top. It was great!!!
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
I know what its going to be but wont spoil it.
Theres quite a few others similar, in the past filed up to suit.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Here are the pictures. A little bit of whittling to find it inside the 1.5" shaft.

The long piece is the firing pin. The bit on the end is broken. I'm making a new one. I still haven't figured out how to get the pin out? I might be making a new one of those also?
Wesley P

Offline mike os

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:08:41 AM »
probably shrink fit...so heat? may have to cut it out
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
It was pressed in and had a shoulder that it went against. I think I'm going to use locktight\o/ I have some good stuff :zap:
Wesley P

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
Getting there then.

When i think back to all the ones i made from square bar in 4 jaw keeping it straight. Thin stuff has a tendency to taper but have own method learnt from turning Stainless Grade 316S11 down to 3/16" diameter. Just a file job after 1 1/2hrs later out it goes.
Some ejector work is similar as well.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:25 PM »
I've been pretty busy. The part is almost done. I'll snap a picture before I assemble it. I first need to make a tool/thingy to reassemble the spring and keeper? It was apart when I got it. So, I don't know how he got it apart. But it wasn't pretty. I had to stone off some small gouges off the pin.
Wesley P

Offline Jonny

Re: Broken Sako rifle
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
Any news?
Figured what you have done, originals in two parts being easier to batch manufacture. No reason why it shouldnt be in one piece, most are.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Well, I did a pretty lousy job of taking pictures on this project. Sorry about that. I've been pretty busy like usual.

I did get a couple shots of me putting the firing pin back together. It was a pretty tricky job. I don't know how my friend got this thing apart without a little compressor like we made? Here are a couple shots.

You can see the filed end in the bottom picture. It slid up the ramp really nice!!!

The gun is back together and in the arms of it's happy owner.

I'll try and remember to take more pictures next time :doh:

Wes
Wesley P

Offline lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 06:50:46 AM »
Wes,
Fantastic job, if I remember we used to just put pressure on the small collet retainer that hold the spring yes it does slip off and quick eyes spot what direction this travel................. :Doh:
Kindest Regards
Beagles
Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir