Author Topic: Pirate Cutlass  (Read 33322 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Pirate Cutlass
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »
I've had this project for a few years now. It started life as a gun kit from DGW  It had some problems. Mainly the barrel tipped down so bad that the boolet would have hit the blade shortly after leaving the barrel. I cut the frame, bent it up some, and did a crappy job rewelding it. I got a little discouraged and it went back into the box.

A while later I had it out and I unknowingly dropped the handle off my workbench. Around here things on the floor are fair game for the dogs. The handle was ruined :bang: At this point this is what it looked like. Back into the box.

I think one of the reasons I kept stalling was I didn't really like the way it looked. The shape was off and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I ran across this Picture and I came up with a plan.

The blade was wrong, the hand guard was wrong, and the handle is too small. I sized the picture on my computer monitor the same size as the pistol. I then traced it onto a piece of paper. I cut off the hand guard and started a new one. Here is the template and the new handguard.

I've reshaped the blade a little and the trigger guard. The way the original grip mounted, was really cheesy. I'm going to make a tang that will screw on and then the handle will mount to it and the hand guard. I'll be using walnut for the grip. I'll cut out my template and use it for a guide to cut out the new grip.

Stay tuned.

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Pirate Cutlass
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
I hadn't even thought about adding wood to the cutouts. But that would look great and cover up those ugly pins in the side of the brass. I think I'll do it. The grip might get a pewter inlay of some sort. I'll have to think of a neat design to pore into the handle. It will have to be something simple though. I'm cutting out the grip soon. I found a nice piece of wood to use\o/

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »
I have that same kit, minus the blade.  .32 caliber, I believe.  Mine is semi-finished, and has been that way for years.  I once used it with a pirate costume for haloween, and took some caps with me to scare people.  Think "extra loud cap gun".
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Semi finished is an understatement!!! Mine will probably just be a cap gun too? I might shoot it a little though. I'm getting ready to take some more pictures.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
I managed to get the grip cut out and started to inlet it a little. I have quite a bit to file off! Bit I have a good rasp(o:

I am going to try and get a tang made soon. It will have to be inleted a little more for that.
Wesley P

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Major improvement on the shape of the blade.  Have fun carving out the hand grip.  Try using a drill with one of those rotary rasps, they seem to work well.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
I kind of stalled the last couple of weeks. My wife was sick and had to spend a couple days in a hospital out of town. So That kind of "throws a wrench in the works". But, She is out and doing great now, so no worries\o/

I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days. I think I'm going to silver solder a tang onto the back of the receiver. there just isn't enough room to have one that bolts on. So that is what I have planned for tomorrow.

Stay tuned,,,

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
I managed to get a tang roughed out. I need to thin it up a little. I decided to just thread it then use some lock-tight to hold the pieces together. I'll try and get that done tomorrow. I left it a little proud so I can file it down flush.

As soon as I get these together I can finish in-letting the grips.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
I managed to get some play time in. I finished in-letting the grip near the frame. I still have the hand guard to do. But It is turning out really great.

I am really excited about how good the fit is that I got. I did most of it in the mill and had had to do a little touch up with the chisels. I was going to drill the screw hole near the end of the tang, but, I think it will be more towards the middle. I think the end will be filed down a little when I start to profile the handle.

It's starting to look like something now. I'll probably start shaping the grips now.

Wesley P

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:17:48 AM »
Very nice Wes.  I love the look of old pistols.

Of course you know you'll have to get a parrot now...   ::)

Cheers

Jeff

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
And a pirate keyboard for my computer. They have one A and a whole bunch of rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wesley P

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
And a pirate keyboard for my computer. They have one A and a whole bunch of rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And instead of pushing the keys down you lift them with a hook!!!!  :clap: :clap:  :clap:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
I've spent some time with a wood rasp on the grips.

I am going to inlet the hand guard before I go any farther. I need to shape it some more. I shortened the grip about a half inch also. It feels and looks better I think.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:35:51 AM »
I would have headed it up and inletted before any shaping.
Square edges easier to hold in block format and you can hack way with little fear of the American Black breaking.
The inside of the grip and shape is determined where the inletted guard lies!

Not much to file off there used to have to do it in tool and spring steels to microns. :coffee:

Finished job, the wood should be slightly proud of the action.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
I have managed to get the hand guard inleted. I used hand tools for the hole thing. Mainly an old pocket knife.

Here it all is propped up and ready for welding. I tacked it into place, removed the wood, then TIG welded the hand guard into place.

All welded up\o/

Now I can file the frame to shape.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
Coming along nicely Wes. :thumbup:

I wish my welding looked that good :doh:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
Thanks Dave. My welds used to look pretty bad. Last winter I took a welding class at the local college and my welding was very much improved. I am using an arc welder with a TIG torch on it. I'd really like to get a high frequency box so I can weld aluminum. But for now I'll have to stick with steel and stainless.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
Wes:

Looks good.  Not sure which is scarier - the blade or the barrel.

John.

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
Hi Wes

That's a fantastic job :clap:

My two favourite 'collectables', knives and guns  :thumbup:

I attempted to make a cutlass over twenty years ago, it started life as a piece of packing at work so I used Oxy Acetylene to heat it up and drew it out then shaped it on an anvil with a hammer!!

It was finished by hand with files and the, emery cloth wrapped around the files (had no power tooles back then   :bang: )

The wooden scales were made of an old hardwood pallet and rivets were of 1/8" barzing rod!!!

I also made a double edged sword out of a sharpening steel, I made a pattern for the hilt and knuckle guard then a mould and poured in molten brass..

Both together..

Cheers, John :beer:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Great job on the cutlass John!!! I really like that. My vise is about done so I'll be back on my gun project in a day or so.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
I've been filing the welds down and contouring the frame. I want the pieces to look like a used bar of soap. All round and smooth. I'm not entirely happy with the way the hammer looks. I haven't decided if I want to cut off the horn and make a new, more elegant looking one. Or try and reshape the one it has? I think it's too far back or something? There is quite a bit of arch ahead of the horn. I'll have to think it over some more....

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »
The filing is almost done. It looks like Termites have got to the frame? I was thinking I should have champhered the joint a little more.

No worries. I just filed it out and filled it back in with the TIG.

Here is a bottom view of the hand guard. I have a little more shaping to do. But not much.

I was missing a screw and bought a replacement today. As soon as I get the metal work done, I'll finish up the wood work and I'll have a shooter\o/

~Wes~

:wave:
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
Hi Wes

You sure come up with Dam interesting projects  :med:  ,,,,,,,,,  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
Thanks Rob!!! I have some pretty cool stuff planned but never have the time. I'm trying to finish some stuff up this winter.

If I can get my projects to cooperate. I found another bug hole. This time in the casting for the trigger guard. Good thing I have a TIG welder:o) I'll get a picture before I plug it up.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
Well I'm still plugging away at this. I'm even threatening to finish it:o) While shaping the trigger guard area I found another bug hole. This time it was in the casting and not in my welds :D

Here it is plugged up. It was pretty cold in my shop and my welding helmet fogged up right when I struck the arc. so I couldn't see real good. I boogered it on a little thick but I can file it back down pretty easily.

Won't be long now\o/

~Wes~   :wave:
Wesley P