Author Topic: Machinist Jewelery  (Read 21694 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Machinist Jewelery
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »
I've been thinking of making something for the miss'. Found these pictures on the net.

This one says "LOVE" in morse code

Pretty cool!!!

I'll probably make a set of these someday!

And one for the Steampunk.

Hope this inspires someone;o)

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Machinist Jewelery
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
Those are very cool. My mill needs to be CNC'd first!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
Pretty neat Wes  :thumbup:

CC

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:04:30 AM »
You know in the thrid image down, how is the hex formed on the bar/tube ?

Chris

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
Chris,

That piece is most probably assembled from two parts, but could be done from the solid with a bit of time and experience.

Making a hex is a standard thing to do on a mill, using either a rotary table or fixture.

John

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Um, the Morse code is a bit hard to read, the gap between 'O' and 'V' should be equal to the length of a dah.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
I found this one on the net. It looked pretty straight forward.

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Russel

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
Um, the Morse code is a bit hard to read, the gap between 'O' and 'V' should be equal to the length of a dah.

I thought that was an L and a O. Dit da di di and da da da  ...you are right, no spacing between letters makes it hard to tell.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:15:36 PM by Russel »

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »
John Hill: I thought that was an L and a O. Dit da di di and da da da  ...

Sounds likely - maybe there's a di di di dah and a dit for V E on the far side.

How sweet!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
I have looked at the ring several times and just can' see how how it spells LOVE with any kind of spacing. If you flip it over, and assume that the two dah's visible are the last two of the letter "O" then you have "V" and "E". That is using roughly half the ring for three letters and leaves almost half the ring for "L", dit dah dit dit .

Joe
(n0fnf)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 04:57:28 AM »
Well, when he started this thread, Wes said it spelled "love". Googling "morse ring love" threw up other examples, like these http://www.fatcowdesigns.com/Rings./Morse-Code-Titanium-Rings/c-1-99-137/ none of which seem to have the spaces. Without them, you could start reading anywhere, and perhaps get it to say something rude!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:21:01 AM »
Yes the spacing is all awry,  the space between character elements is equal to one 'dit' length so those three dits we can see are far too far apart.  The space between characters  is equal to three dit lengths which is the same as one 'dah' length.  The only place in the word 'love' where there are three consequtive dits is in the letter 'V' so that bit of the ring we can see is part of the 'O' on the right followed (reading leftwards) by the 'V' and the 'E' almost out of sight to the left.

What the rings reads is a whole bunch of 'E's and 'T's.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline geti

• GETi Titanium and Black Zirconium Wedding Rings
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »
We have done a few of the morse code rings with swear words and I agree with you about the spacing that the start of the letters should be more obvious so I'll adjust the spacing - thanks for pointing it out folks.  :thumbup:
GETi Titanium and Black Zirconium Wedding Rings www.geti.cc

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
Ha, we got caught out eh ....  :lol:

Nice rings btw  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
We have done a few of the morse code rings with swear words and I agree with you about the spacing that the start of the letters should be more obvious so I'll adjust the spacing - thanks for pointing it out folks.  :thumbup:

Hi geti

Welcome to the MadMoodder Forum. It is nice to meet the face behind the mystery rings. It would be nice if you could show us a bit more about the beautiful rings that you make (without giving away trade secrets) when you have a chance. As you may have noticed,  :worthless: . If you have any questions feel free to ask as there is always someone around to give an answer or at least an opinion.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline geti

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »
Hi Don, thanks for the welcome.

What can I say without boring you too much? After a sudden change in company direction, we started making Titanium and Black Zirconium rings about 10 years ago, which also led to an addiction for technology in engineering. You don't really need fancy CNC's and lasers to make them but it certainly makes it a lot more interesting when you've got 'em. We've been building up the laser carved Celtic designs for the past two years and taught ourselves diamond setting and polishing techniques to make us totally unreliant on outworkers - in fact the only operation that we need to outsource is diamond setting Princess cut (square) diamonds - but not for long now!

Black Zirconium rings (which is what the morse code one is above at the start of the thread) are becoming more popular in the UK now along with Zirconia and Black Tungsten so it's interesting times at the moment - I don't want to go home sometimes, it's a crazy whirlwind existance   :borg:

Offline David Morrow

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
Those are very cool. My mill needs to be CNC'd first!

Eric

I CNC'd my mill but I can't see how you would do any of these with CNC. Just basic manual projects so just jump right in.

Offline geti

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:40 AM »
You can make rings on conventional lathes easily, but on a production level where time is money, CNC is essential. A Celtic knot like this one pictured would be extremely difficult to achieve accurately without CNC capability.