Author Topic: flame cutting  (Read 11583 times)

Offline slowcoach

flame cutting
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »
Here's a couple of interesting videos on flame cutting from mr pete :dremel:

&list=UL

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: flame cutting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:54:21 AM »
Darn you Rob, I just need to add this one to the need that tool list. :palm:

I have a South Bend lathe bed and a gear reduction box, dam  :proj: bit's again. :dremel:

I just got done trimming some of my proposed projects, the VW powered snow blower, the electric cab loco. Now I know why I was collecting thos other parts that have been sitting around for several years now.  :lol:

Thanks for that find and posting.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
Hehe... Mr Pete sounds like Elvis  :lol:     (well the BBC radio2 "ask Elvis" anywho)

Very cool madmodding style projects..... Has anyone given him a  :poke: in this direction?

I don't think I'll ever have such cutting tools in my workshop? But I still like the innovation  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

PatJ

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
I have used one of these pantograph shape cutters, and they work well, and will cut out any shape that you make for a pattern.
The pattern goes in the top, and a rubber belt allows the motor driven arm to follow any shape.

This is a great machine for making multiple parts of the same shape.  You can cut stars, ovals, or any other shape.

Some of these machines are quite complex, but the simple ones also work well, and you could easily make one of these.  The only motor you need is the one right above the torch, and is is a slow gear driven motor.  You need a rubber belt to go from the motor to the central axis of the pattern, to hold the knurled motor shaft against the pattern.

Pat J
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:08:53 AM by PatJ »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
I think they call these machines "Manual CNC".   :lol:

Very interesting. It should also work with a plasma cutter. This thread has given me some ideas. Thanks for posting guys.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »
Oops, sounds like I've started something here  :lol: :lol: Bernd I was thinking the same, use a plasma cutter instead of the flame cutter  :thumbup:  Like the man says in the video, it beats using an hacksaw  :dremel:

Offline bigmini

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
Oops, sounds like I've started something here  :lol: :lol: Bernd I was thinking the same, use a plasma cutter instead of the flame cutter  :thumbup:  Like the man says in the video, it beats using an hacksaw  :dremel:

It does, but at least you don't have to pay monthly rental on a hacksaw whether you use it or not.

In Australia you can't buy the gas bottles (for oxy and acetylene) only rent them. That's OK for a tradesman who uses it every day, but as a hobbyist I can't justify the regular cost. So I use a hacksaw. :(

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
Plasma cutter, and they are cheap now uses electricty and compressed air only, so no bottles to rent etc.
Plus is they will basically cut anything that's conductive up to a point.

Edge smoothness is better than flame cutting as well.

John S
John Stevenson

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:03 AM »
Cheers Rob  :)

I now no what i am going to use that right angled gear box i got off Dave BC for  :dremel:  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Rob

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »
Sounds like a plan Rob  :ddb: I found the video's when looking for a easy way to cut circles with my plasma cutter. I have tried to do it freehand and ended up with a couple of jagged oval pieces of steel, I struggle to draw them with a pencil on paper  :lol:. :lol: plus, i'm a lazy git :ddb:

Rob (slowcoach)  :thumbup:

Hacksaws are sooo last century  :poke:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:46:50 AM by slowcoach »

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:52 AM »
Cheers Rob  :)

I now no what i am going to use that right angled gear box i got off Dave BC for  :dremel:  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Rob

Gearbox ??? Gearbox ?????? :scratch:  :scratch:  :scratch: What Gearbox ???

It's a flamin' DOORSTOP !!!!!

I would advise great caution when using things in a manner for which they were not designed ...

Upon your own head so be it ...

Signed 'concerned of Belper'    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:35:53 AM »
Rob  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i no what you mean  :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh:   would they be large ring shaped things for traction engine wheels by any chance ?

Dave  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that door stop will do the job nicely  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Rob

Offline bigmini

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:11 AM »
Plasma cutter, and they are cheap now uses electricty and compressed air only, so no bottles to rent etc.
Plus is they will basically cut anything that's conductive up to a point.

Edge smoothness is better than flame cutting as well.

John S

I should get me one of those. Hopefully a few months of away pay and overtime will convince the minister of finance. :bow: :bow:

THe only thing is - here in Oz our standard power points are 10A not 13A like UK ones, so a 40A plasma cutter will need a visit from an electrician to put in a 15A outlet for me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:25:15 AM by bigmini »

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 06:28:49 AM »
Yer bang on Rob.

I borrowed my bosses plasma circle jig thingy made for just the job. Its a basic bit of kit but it does the job with a bit of messing  :thumbup:

These are my 6" traction engine front wheel rings that will be welded inside the wheel, the spokes will be then riveted to the rings, thats when I  decide to pull my finger out and get the hubs machined  :dremel:,,

Using the plasma is really easy and the finish is very good even through 10mm plate. I have even been known to use it to cut through my wife's pork chops, funnily, It seems to struggle to get through them cleanly, It could be her thick lumpy gravey holding it up  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob (slowcoach) :thumbup:

Offline snoopdog

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »
Here is some jigs for plasma and torch for cutting circles. Once we had a contest who could cut a 1" hole in 1/2" plate the closest. I torched a 1.005" and a 1.007" holes.

Iv done lots of 1" plate and if you are a bit crazy you can ramp of the acetylene to 12-14 psi and run the oxygen up to 100 psi and blow away steel 10 inches thick.

I love flame cutting you can have the best welder weld for 1 hour and I can unweld it in 30 minutes. I do consider myself a pro at flame cutting, I spent many a hot summer day welding and flame cutting. Its funny how those jobs only come around when its 105F outside.

Anyway you can make the jigs for almost nothing and do some good work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:10:08 PM by snoopdog »