Author Topic: Shop Move - Part 2  (Read 12125 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Shop Move - Part 2
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
In true Douglas Adams style part 2 precedes part 1, largely because the pictures of uplifting the old shop are on a camera.....in the old shop....

So, here's a few snaps of the new shop in Layout 1.0. Which, in the traditions of Microsoft, means pretty much the machines are dumped wherever I could reach with the crane. The lathe in particular needs to move about 3ft left and 2-3ft back into its final position. I'm already on Layout 1.1, with the bench up against the wall and the hacksaw between lathe & mill; but that will also change.

It's looking, by some miracle, that I might actually be able to fit the stuff I wanted to fit in, in! It'll be a bit of a squeeze with the trailer, and the office still needs to move about 18" towards the back wall, but the basics are pretty much there now.... just a stack of sorting/tidying/organising & shelving to do...

Anyway, some pics to keep you happy....:

Bench w/ bandsaw is now where the orange/white wires are trailing

Quite a tidy bit of space here, once the tools and old computers are stashed away in their new homes. I suspect the hacksaw will end up here somewhere.

That bit's done  :lol:

I should have some photos of the actual lifting out (of the mill, at any rate, the lathe lift was far too scary to photograph). You'll have to wait for Part 1 for those...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Shop Move - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
Thought I'd missed something then... part 2 first! Taranteno (sp?) Me thinks!

Looks like quite a useful space Ade. I like the storage area up top  :thumbup:

You should have it ship shape in no time at all, as long as work and a bit of this  :coffee: doesn't get in the way  :)

Looking forward to seeing how you picked up the machines with the crane  :borg:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Great shop space Ade!  

I am pleased that you got all the heavy bits moved without breakage or blood loss. :beer:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »
Cheers chaps  :thumbup: I'm not sure how to use the height yet; unfortunately, there are no substantial beams going across on which to mount a hoist; on the other hand there's loads of room for a mezzanine floor, or something similar.

John - the move wasn't quite bloodless..... I managed to snag my finger on the parting tool I'd left on the lathe  :doh: Fortunately, the fluid loss was quite minor, and barely deserved the cup of tea I took immediately afterwards...

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
I knew this  :coffee: was involved in there somewhere  :lol:

Surely a car ramp would be just the ticket?  A 4 poster would provide not just one but two temporary variable height benches too!!  :smart: eh?!?    :)

I suppose a 2 poster with a good sheet of thick ply on it would make one such bench also?  Just working through what I'd do with such space  ::) 

Ralph.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
A ramp is definitely on the cards, probably a 2-poster as they are more flexible; but I'm not sure where to put it exactly... it will take a few months of using the place before I figure out the best location. Not sure it'd work as a bench though.... too big by half.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:24:46 AM »
Not sure it'd work as a bench though.... too big by half.

Fold all the legs in fully and place a thick board (8x4 sheet of 3/4" ply did me) on all the pads (levelled) then raise the ramp... I've done it before. Used it when engine building and needed a large clean area for cleaning and assembly of pistons, head etc.

I know there are a lot of different ramps out there and all have different geometry but it can be done quite easily.

Anywho, was just an idea  :loco:   :)

Where to be putting a 2 poster in?  right in the front where you can easily drive on if you're going to use it often, or in a back corner if it's going to hold a car for a long time and you don't need constant access... You probably need it for both of the above reasons  :doh:  If you put it at the back you could block it in with "stuff" and have a whole lot to move if you need to use it to repair your daily drive.
If you put it right in front it might get in the way of things like the Hiab?  Dilemma indeed!  :scratch:

Don't envy you all the thinking to be done :bang:

Ralph.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Shop Move - Part 1
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »
Ralph - I think I'll wait a while before adding a ramp.... partly due to costs, partly because I can't work out where to put it yet....

In the meanwhile.... here is the long awaited Part 1!

The following sequence of pics only cover moving the milling machine; the lathe was the first to move & by far the scariest; having over a ton of metal suspended 8ft in the air is enough to clench anyone's buttocks... at least, anyone who doesn't move this sort of stuff as a day job.

Initially, the mill was too far away to reach with the crane, but as it was on a steel floor, 'twas but a moment's work to whizz a strap around the bottom & use the crane to pull it along the floor, until it was within reach. Then; it's a simple case of wrap a lifting strop around the top ram, using a piece of wood & (of all things) a screwfix catalogue to protect the strop from the sharp dovetails, and it's time to manipulate levers:

Up, up & away.... I'm looking up to make sure I don't take out a ceiling light and, more importantly, that I don't electrocute myself in the process...

Up & over the bench, also trying to keep it as far away from me as possible, just in case the strop lets go. Of course, if the crane knuckle ram had quit, then I'd still have got squashed. That's another reason there's no lathe photos.... just in case any H&S are watching....

Nearly there now, just trying to adjust the position so the mill will go in front of the lathe & grinder:

It must be said, having your own crane lorry really can be bloody useful:

Everything was then firmly strapped down so it couldn't possibly go anywhere at all. Which didn't stop the mill moving 3ft to the left on the one & only roundabout on the route  :palm: Fortunately, it didn't topple, just slid, and the rest of the journey was completed uneventfully.

It still stinks of diesel fumes in my office...

If anyone needs machinery moved, I know a chap you can call. It shure ain't me!  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »
Oooh, and another thing....

If I step out of my new shop & look left, I can see this:

Moving a little closer...

I foresee some model boats in my future....  :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
Hi Ade

That looks one a hell of new shop space - I wish I had somewhere of decent size but I guess you make do with what you have. You have some cracking machines and with all the thought you`ve put in your layout, I`m sure it`ll a turn out great. More photos to follow I hope...!

Chris

Offline Trion

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
Congrats on a new shop! Nice moving pictures, you are lucky to have that lorry. I roll my stuff on tractors :poke:

Nice view from the shop. Do I see you making a high volume water pump (possibly bmw v8 driven) in the future, or is my crystal ball reading wrong? That is not unlikely, it is only a chinese copy :lol:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
Very nice Ade... Glad the loading went without issue  :thumbup:

Sliding mill eh?!  :bugeye:  Bet that got you twitching too?

Great view too.... Nice to be able to access the water so easily..... I'd have the kayak in there  :headbang:

Once you're settled and we're both not so busy I'll have to come over and see where you're hiding now  :thumbup:

I'm assuming it's not too far away?

Ralph.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
Chris, thanks! It's definitely a decent space - the machines are sat in a 24ft wide section, but I've got another 3ft available in front of the fire door (not right in front of the fire door obviously... how else is the fire supposed to get in?) - current thinking is that's where the saw will live. Or I may have a steel staircase made to make access to the storage space easier... not sure yet. Depth wise is more of a problem, with the amount of stuff I have coming.... but I think I can make it work.

Trion - Hmm, lucky isn't a word I'd use about that lorry.... constant financial drain might be a better description! That said, it's properly handy on occasion, just not sure it's cheaper than hiring someone on the odd occasion... Unfortunately, the BMW engine is already spoken for, so any water pumps will have to be powered by alternative means... Danger: :scratch: and  :proj: ahead :)

Ralph - Me too - and yes, the mill moving caused a major pucker event... The new place is only about 1/2 mile from the old place, so no major worries, and there's a cup of [beverage of your choice] with your name on it waiting for you here... Even if I have to make it with dock water  :lol:

I always fancied making a model of the submarine from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - mainly because it has windows, and there doesn't seem to be much point in an RC submarine that you can't see out of (with a camera)...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:17:32 PM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
Beware the man with a pallet truck! Because you can be sure that trouble lies ahead....

I've been wondering how best to lift the lathe so I could get some rollers under it, to put it in it's "final" position. Eventually, I settled on this setup:

Although the motor end was too heavy to lift, it did tilt enough to get a small roller in there; result: A bit of shoving and pushing, and now the lathe is just where I want it  :thumbup:.

Next job, re-assemble the "kitchen", so I can put a bunch of the tools away, to make room for other tools.... and so the cycle continues...  ::)
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Chazz

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
Looking good, if you don't have a beam for a hoist, how about a rolling gantry?  We have 2 and they are great for moving stuff around.

Cheers,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »

this could be a start

http://www.deboerhulls.com/Seaview.htm

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
If you had cleaned all that swarf off the lathe, it might have been easier to shift.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
If you had cleaned all that swarf off the lathe, it might have been easier to shift.

That swarf is the only proof I have that I've actually done any work! Besides, I was hoping it would help counterbalance the lathe... it must have worked, because it all arrived in its new home!  :ddb:

Either that bloke is tiny, or that model is HUGE!!  :lol:

Very tempted to do a Type VIIC U-boat...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

lordedmond

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 02:34:57 AM »
Ade

did you get that dry sump finished its seemed to dry up  :doh:

new Ws looks good its good to start in a new place makes you stand back and consider the positions of the equipment ,when the are connected and in use its a pain to move them around .

Good luck in the new shop nice view outside if you get bored  :D

Stuart

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:39:35 AM »
Thanks Stuart - you're right about the fresh view, although I've basically ended up with a very similar layout to what I had before, the main difference being I have some storage/bench space between the lathe & mill now. We shall see how well (or not...) that pans out.

The sump is on-going... but I've made no progress on it recently for a variety of reasons - mostly laziness related if I'm honest, but I will be getting back to it soon & there will be more updates to come...  :dremel:

Cheers!
Ade.
--