Author Topic: novice modder  (Read 3348 times)

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
novice modder
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
Hi everybody, i'm a steam and stirling engine enthusiast who wants to make the step up to become a novice modder (ive got the mad bit sussed already). Ive got a myford ml7 coming to live with me soon but need loads of help,learning how to use it.Ilast used a lathe over 30 yrs ago at school and dont remember anything except that i loved it and have secretly wanted one ever since.With the help of a couple of great guys from here, ive now got that bit sorted.Now its learn learn learn time.I'd love to have a drawing for a stirling engine i could eventually learn to follow and make but first I need pointers on what i should be reading to familiarise myself with the lathe so i can go sit in a corner and read   it before i raise my thick head to trouble you guys for more advice..Ive been quietly reading posts for a few weeks now and doubt if i'll ever be anywhere near as good as some of the guys who post on here but maybe if i pay attention to posts by the likes of Mr Bogstandard and Mr Stilldrillin then one day i just might be able to make a stirling engine of my own.  But first i need to learn things like setting up , tooling, what metals to use and what not to use  and of course,, looking after your machine,   anyway enough about me,,i'll just fade back into the ether now and read something constructive... :wave:

....Mike...

Offline BiggerHammer

Re: novice modder
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
Welcome Mike,
    I think you will find after perusing the forums a good number of your questions will be answered. I had never used a lathe before and have been able to muddle through a wobbler build with information gained mostly from this site. A VERY helpful bunch here (hope you have a sense of humor). They will answer pretty much any question you pose no matter how simple or how complex. For example the answer to Life the Universe and Everything is indeed 42.

Welcome once again to the Collective.  :borg:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
Hiya Mike  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I am into steam and stirling myself. Have built a few steamers, but no stirlings... yet.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
Hello and welcome to the cube :borg:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Hi Mike.
Pleased to see you made it! Welcome to the Collective....  :borg:

Join in.... (Even if it's only, "well done")!   :clap:

Show us what you do.... Someone will always have a comment/ encouragement.  :thumbup:

Above all, enjoy!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
Hi and feel very welcom to us  :wave:

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »
thankyou all very much gents, for the nice friendly welcome..

OK heres my first question..does anybody else find that verification letter thingy really tricky when trying to send a pm ?? I sometimes have to listen to the letters. But it often wont let me do that.. then it makes me sign in again. :bang:

...Mike...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
thankyou all very much gents, for the nice friendly welcome..

OK heres my first question..does anybody else find that verification letter thingy really tricky when trying to send a pm ?? I sometimes have to listen to the letters. But it often wont let me do that.. then it makes me sign in again. :bang:

...Mike...

Wait... What? Shouldn't be a verification on sending PMs. Can you take a screen shot and send it to me?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.