Author Topic: Another experimental engineer  (Read 4700 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Another experimental engineer
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:05:06 AM »
Quite a few seems to have a venerable track record here - salute to them.

My background is electrical engineering (machine control, process control etc.) but I never worked as a design engineer. Then I was a "start-up-engineer" for a quite a few years but after seeing airports, hotels and mills on 14 different countries I started to grow out of it. I also met a woman of my life and you know how it goes from then. For beter of course.

I had few hobbies and my success has been very chekkered: I crached my share of electric planes and broke quite a few fly rodds (hence my nic: Pekka No Fish). Pekka is very common Finnish name and I seem to get least of the fish on everyone I know. Or maybe I just suck on telling stories. Anyway, I still have most of the fishing gear, but I haven't build more 2m electric planes.

I have accumulated some old junk to my threasure cave (garage at the house drawing it says, my wife calls it evil den).

My first machine tool was a "petite merde" Minilor lathe. Why anybody would make such a piece of junk is beyond me and why I bought it tells me where I started.
I bought a small semi useful pilar drill and off hand grinder - it was about to time muve out of apartment
Then I bought about 1.5 metric tone of an old german milling machine WANDERER that has MT4 horizontal spindle, but it has permanantly attached MT3 universal head. I really should change oil to it.
I got Myford 10 copy, which hasn't seen much use, I also got complete basket case of old swedish lindköping revolver lathe....maybe these will be modded to something
I also bought about 150 kg lathe, MT4 spindle taper, MT3 tail. This needs more work, but it has to do now.
Have a small metal cutting band saw that is absolutely necessary.
I just housed in somewhat incomplete about 500-600 kg another swedish Lindköping OR2 revolver lathe that has no tail stock or revolver mechanism. I Haven't even run it yet. I'll have a look to it when it finaly gets warmer here.

I avoid grinding and welding at all cost - I have a garage next to house (they share a wall) and aspect of fire does not play well. However, I this is something I have to work with.

I hope I fit in here,
PekkaNF

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Another experimental engineer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:12:41 AM »
Pekka

Welcome to MadModder Pekka. It sounds like you have some old equipment that may just need a bit of TLC (tender loving care) to make it usable like when it was new. Post up some pictures here when you have a chance and I am sure that there will be someone that can help you and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to your participation in the forums.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:02:32 AM »
Hello Pekka  :wave: welcome to the club :mmr:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »
Hello and welcome to us  :wave:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:31 AM »
Thank you all for a warm wellcome.

My small garage is now in pretty much disarray, but it's still better than last spring! Maybe I'll collect some courage and take pictures (and hope to improve from there).

My planes WERE traditional balsa/heat shrink build-up construction. Most of them were modified Gentle Lady or pretty much same scratch build. Astro cobal 05 and 015 with gearbox and 13" folding propeller on the nose and such. Very basic tehnology. I build them and then crashed them. I build some more ambitious models but I crashed them even faster. I never good very good on flying but I got pretty good on fixing them.
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/airplanes/gpma0960.html

Maybe I should post pictures of the machines, just to amuse you guys. I never know, someone might even regognice the junk I have and offer some advice.

Cheers,
PekkaNF

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
Hello  :wave:   .yes we like pictures :D

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Pekka,

Welcome to the forum, you will fit right in... :thumbup:

but.... :worthless:    :D
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
Hi And Welcome  :wave:  Pekka

I hope we get to see some of your projects  :poke: :)

Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
Hiya pekka  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Welcome Pekka  :beer:
Jason

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »
Pekka,

Welcome to the forum, you will fit right in... :thumbup:

but.... :worthless:    :D

Huh - that never wears off?

I have been following this site few month ocassionally amd more intensily about a week. I'll see that a lot - but I completely agree!

PekkaNF