Author Topic: Kitchen Engineering - hot 'n hairy Burgers  (Read 6733 times)

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
Kitchen Engineering - hot 'n hairy Burgers
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
Over here, its the start of "Annoying the Neighbours by Burning Meat in the Garden" season.

On any sunny Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday afternoon - clouds of greasy, tainted smoke errupt from neighbours' gardens - time to take NBC protections and hermetically seal the house.

Here is a recipe to strike back, in Spades.

If these burgers are cooked on the bbq, not only will smoke reprisal result, but also the aroma of far eastern spices being grilled - which is a much classier smell.

Quantities given in metric - feel free to change to cups/ounces or whatever.
If you don't have all of the following (aromatic) spices - don't despair - ring the changes and experiment!

500g. lean minced steak. (?Ground steak?)
150g. ordinary mince (with plenty of fat)
2 medium onions
6 Jacobs Crackers - or similar (biscuits for cheese type crackers).
1teaspoon salt
1 Dessert spoon of Sesame seeds
2 or 3 green chillis (yours to adapt depending on type of chilli and your hotness limits)
2 or 3 cloves of Garlic - or a squeeze of Garlic paste.
2" knob of fresh root ginger - or squeeze of Ginger paste.
A good squeeze of tomato puree - or tomato ketchup.
1 Dessert spoon each of Coriander and Cumin seeds (or use ready ground)
2 Teaspoons of Turmeric powder. (This stuff gets everywhere - be warned!
1/2 teaspoon of black peppercorns (or ready ground)
1"  length of cinnamon stick (or use ready ground)
4 whole cloves (or a pinch of ready ground)
A bunch of fresh Coriander leaves (minus the stalks)
1 egg

Put all of the mince in a large bowl.
Sprinkle with the salt.
Blitz the crackers in a food processor, with the fresh chillis, garlic, ginger (or pastes), and fresh coriander.
Tip the contents into the bowl, with the mince.
Peel and roughly chop the onions, then blitz them in the processor - aim for very finely chopped onion - not a "mush".
Add to the big bowl.
Try and "borrow" an electric coffee grinder, or similar, and grind all of the whole spices and sesame seeds - if its a small grinder - do it in batches.
Add all of the ground spices, ready ground spices, Turmeric powder etc. to the bowl.
Beat the egg, and add to the bowl.

With clean hands, set to to knead the meat, onion, and spice mixture - very sensuous!

Shape into burgers (patties) of whatever size you like. Leave to rest in the fridge and at room temperature for an hour before cooking time.
This will make abot 6 "King Size" burgers.

ENGINEERING TIP
On cooking, the meat will contract somewhat, and get tougher - to negate this and keep the shape of your burger/patties - use the handle of a wooden spoon to make a hole (about 1/2" dia) in the centre of each.
As the burger cooks, the hole will close up, but the meat will remain more succulent.

Now you can get some payback on your neighbours - bbq the patties - or grill them - or fry gently in a bit of Olive oil - turning once.

Serve in toasted Baps (?buns) - with relish/pickle of choice and salad.

The flavour of the meat/spice mixture will improve if it is left for 24 hours in the fridge - all of the "elements" combine better.

Enjoy.

Peter

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
Re: Kitchen Engineering - hot 'n hairy Burgers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
Quantities given in metric...

1 Dessert spoon...
A good squeeze...
2 Teaspoons...
1"  length...
A bunch...

Looks like the switchover to metric isn't much farther along in the UK than it is in the States.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
Looks like the switchover to metric isn't much farther along in the UK than it is in the States.

I think it is called "Impetric"  :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »
I don't think cooking is exact sience. I follow cooks sometimes at their work (or boozing) and I believe traditional engineering vices are pretty fahr.

Do you know how americans are going to go metric?

Inch-by-inch.

Funny thing happens when "tranlating" gradually to merric. Like 11mm or 13 mm "metric" threaded studs....

PekkaNF

Offline woodguy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
Please add to the instructions:

He said "BORROW" a coffee grinder. Do not use your personal coffee grinder. You have been warned.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »
I gotta ask, are these good? I like a lot of the ingredients...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »
BM - difficult to answer your question :-

As the Iron Chef here - I may be biased - but they tatse great to me - however, I experimented with the blend of ingredients for a while before arriving at this recipe.

In all fairness, the recipe is based on a traditional "generic" one for Kofta Kebabs - Indian/Persian origin.
The secret is in finding the right quantities/blend of spices.
Coriander/Cumin is always the base blend for Indian flavours. Persian tends to use just Cumin (great in Chilli Concarne).
Cinnamon, Clove, or try Cardamom - the aromatics.
Chilli, Black Pepper for heat - Chilli is "hot to the mouth", Peppercorns - "Hot to the throat/Gullet" !!! (From an old book on Indian cookery).
Turmeric acts as a kind of "skin", locking the flavours in (again from the old book).
Garlic and Ginger - base seasonings.

Proper Burgers would not have the inclusion of the crackers/sesame seeds - and a lot less of the aromatic spices.

The finished mixture should be quite firm, but malleable - can be molded onto skewers (kebabs) if you want a different shape!! If its sloppy, then either too much egg, or the onions have been "mushed".

Another useful flavour to consider adding is that from zest/juice of limes/lemons. But watch out for the "sloppy factor" - as too much liquid goes into the mix.

I always try to get whole spices (hence the need for a "borrowed" electric coffee grinder) - those sold in packets as ready ground/powdered tend to loose their flavour very rapidly once the packet is opened - but I don't know what the problems may be in sourceing whole spices over your side of the pond - "Indian" spices are now commonplace over here in most grocery shops.

Another tip - if serving "after dinner coffee" to friends after a good meal, add a few seeds from a green Cardomom pod or two to the coffee pot - you get a lovely aroma in the coffee - call it "Persian Coffee"! (Aids digestion following over - indulgence).

Best wishes

Peter

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
Since there is a connection between the shop and the kitchen. (machinery)
Here are a couple items that may come in handy.
Last year I was at Gordons food service looking for some cutting boards, I found a very nice ham burger press price was a bit step for what it was. I remember seeing it some where else. It is the same aluminum one that Harbor Freight sells for a more reasonable price. Same unit is sold by about everybody varies in price always more than the HF one.

Comes apart for cleaning and reassembles easily.

The only problem is after making the patty is removing it it the same general shape it was made in.

Problem solved with the deli paper sheets from GFS place on the press, and put meat on and then remove the paper and pattie. The second advantage is with the paper on them they are easier to remove from the packs in the freezer.

here is the beauty shot of the pattie :thumbup:

A close up

Here is what on BBQ cooking forums is refereed to as food pron, A take off on the adult photo's so it doesn't trigger the censors at workplaces.

Another item that I found at Harbor Freight, that is the exact same one, that is sold at a number of local stores and on line, but a lot cheaper is the meat grinder.

only difference is the name on the box and it is a whole lot cheaper than the other sources. It is the same one at the local Meijers stores, only a lot cheaper with the 20% coupon. I have used it a number of times and works well, for home quantities. I bought it to make up some Scrapple and home made sausage.

Sorry the link got buried under a photo.
The brethren one of the the better BBQ forums on the net.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:21:15 PM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »
That is some very nice kit - great photos!

One thing I was taught - if meat is processed (ground/minced) too much, it goes somewhat "stringy/tough" when cooked finally.

I suppose its akin to "Work Hardening"?

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
The grinder is used only if you want to start from chunky meat, to start with. Just thought I would add it here rather than another thread. For burgers since I make up around 6 pounds at a time and freeze the patties for use as needed. I use ground beef and bulk pork sausage and mix in the bowl with hands.
Now for the info on the burgers in the previous post.

Neither the spices used or any of the ingredients are a must have part it can be the burger.
The basics are: 3 parts  lean beef * 1 part bulk pork sausage * 1 package of pre cooked bacon or bacon crumbles* 1 pound package of sharp shredded cheddar and another 1 pound package of your favorite shredded cheese* enough dried or fresh chives to flavor* optional dried or finely chopped fresh onions to taste*

The seasoning again are to preference.
I have used Old Bay seasoning, with Ms. Dashes salt free onion and herb
I have also added a mix of Italian herbs instead of the Old Bay with the onion and herb
Chili powder to taste is good also
If you like it hot and spicy you can add peppers either died or fresh

As for salt I now longer add it to the cooking or pre cooking meals, since I generally take part to my parents who are on salt restricted diets, along with the wife and self. I salt at the table. If I do use salt in cooking it is a sea salt and kosher salt lightly.

You can use any of the new McCormicks blends of spices or any other brand that you have. The amounts will depend on the amount of meat you are seasoning and your tastes. I no longer do hot and spicy, as the time paying for it after ward is no longer worth the torture :bugeye:

Make sure the meat mix is chilled, when you mix in the other ingredients. it doesn't stick as bad to hands and bowl. I just mix with hands to get a good blend.
as you can see in the photos of the patties in the previous post.

After cooking, garnish  with a slice of Swiss cheese, slab of onion, and what ever you like. Goes great with the baked beans, coleslaw, and spud salad of your choice.

I use the lean beef because of the pork sausage and bacon this way the fat content is enough for flavor, yet not dripping to overwhelm one. If you prefer it that way then use regular beef.
Enjoy
:clap: :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
Over here, its the start of "Annoying the Neighbours by Burning Meat in the Garden" season.

On any sunny Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday afternoon - clouds of greasy, tainted smoke errupt from neighbours' gardens - time to take NBC protections and hermetically seal the house.

Here is a recipe to strike back, in Spades.

If these burgers are cooked on the bbq, not only will smoke reprisal result, but also the aroma of far eastern spices being grilled - which is a much classier smell...

Here I thought the purpose of this thread would be to convince the neighbors to cease and desist from their noxious emanations...  But perhaps your superior methods and aromas would indeed convince all but the most primitive troglodytes to give up in disgust.

THanks, you and PT Sideshow have given me some ideas and motivation to improve my own grilling habits.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »
Thank you PT Slideshow for a great tutorial!

I didn't realise - you cook the burgers with (sharp) Cheddar cheese in the mix? I have never tried that - does it make a difference?
I like the idea of adding some pork products too for extra flavour and moisture - so much better than the "normal" burger fare we get over here in eateries - quite often dried up, shrivelled and tough - looking like cow-pats!

Thanks Weston Bye - the problem is, my family gets it EVERY weekend, from neighbours on both sides - vulcanism all around!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
Sorry the link got buried under a photo.
The brethren one of the the better BBQ forums on the net.
After you join and so many posts you get access to the assorted wisdom of the recipes of the group.

I know it sounds like a cult but it is the cult of the backyard cooking, from veggies, seafood, to building brick pizza ovens to smokers and UDS Ugly drum smokers. I will say this up front, they have a forum with the lexicon of what all the terms mean such as fatties, pron, etc. Great bunch of people.

Yes I have been adding the shredded cheese to burgers for years along with assorted spice mixtures. The new perfect pinch by McCromicks are a nice touch instead of buying assorted herbs and spice you may never use again.
The Land O Lakes versions here in the states are not worth the money.

Back to the bacon and cheese along with the chives and onions. Depending on the  type of cheese's and the crispiness of the bacon, along with the loaf pork sausage comes in hot&spicy etc. gives a nice touch. Combine with a lean burger/chuck ground meat adds flavor, texture. I guess what the food critics call mouth appeal. Best way is to mix up small batches till you hit on what you or your family likes. Wife eats mostly turkey burgers with cheese I make up for her. I just got to mark the freezer bags.
glad it is something of a thought provoker! :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
I will be trying these in the next few weeks. They do sound good. I have a thing for the 'spice'...  :zap:

Many thanks...  :thumbup:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.