Author Topic: Hi from Berlin  (Read 2704 times)

Offline allanchrister

Hi from Berlin
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »
Hi guys (and any gals out there),

just to let you know I joined the group recently, and am really enjoying the projects and banter going on.  I am a civil engineer and have been carrying out consulting work in the project management field for the last 10 years or so, after a long time working for Engineers and Contractors.  I'm lucky in that I started working overseas about 30 off years ago, and have been fortunate enough to have worked in many places internationally.  My 'specialities' have been in hydropower, and in rail and airports, and i am currently working on a couple of coal rail projects in Indonesia.  I will be relocating there in August for a year, but keeping in touch.

I am lucky in that my wife works for the German Foreign office, we met in Nepal, and generally travel around the world following her assignments, as I can usually find consulting work in most 3rd/2nd world countries.

I have been interested in metal modelling and machining for about 12 years now, and still have the same minilathe I started with - same control box and everything.  Modded to include cam tailstock, longer throw cross slide, but needs bearings in cross and compound.  Also have a Grizzly minimill, and just modded the column stiffener.

I seem to spend more time making mods and tools, but I have started on a clock and a Stuart 10, both of which I will finish - one day.  Just that work keeps getting in the way.

Allan

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Hi from Berlin
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
Hello and welcome to us.  :clap:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »
HI and welcome Allan

Nice place Berlin  :headbang:

Rob

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »
Wellcome.

Can sympathise with your life. I worked about 14 countries before jumping off and I'm settled down - for now.

We are big on pictures! You are going to see a lot this of here :worthless: Get used to it!

Pekka

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
Hello and welcome to the club :wave:

I too would love to see what you're working on, feel free to start a thread to show us all.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME