Author Topic: Where to find 4 x 6 bandsaw blade in Canada?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline sparky961

Where to find 4 x 6 bandsaw blade in Canada?
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
I'm pretty gentle on bandsaw blades, but the time has come again that I need to find one.  Last time I purchase one it was from Princess Auto off the shelf, and I believe it was a bi-metal blade but the information on the packaging was vague.

Does anyone know of a decent source, preferably within Canada to reduce shipping/duty expense?  Or maybe a source in the US that offers good blades  without gouging?  The Canadian dollar is looking pretty good for buying American as of my last check, so it might be worthwhile.

Thanks,
-Sparky

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Where to find 4 x 6 bandsaw blade in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
Sparky,

If you are looking in the US try Grizzly. I have two of their bands saws. Check in the yellow pages of places that offer saw blade sharpening. Check with any wood working stores in the area if they know of a place that sells saw blades made to order.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:37 PM »
Sparky:

I would try Princess Auto if it's handy - they seem to always have some in stock and that's what I use.  Otherwise you could try KMS tools or BusyBeeTools.  Both are in Canada but I've never ordered from KMS - they are local to me.  Some of the industrial fastening places might have them - you'd have to call around.

John.

Offline woodguy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
If you have a local dealer selling King tools, check them out for Bandsaw blades. I got my 5x6 saw from a King Dealer and bought a bi-metal blade at the same time. They had them on the shelf.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
Princess Auto or Busy Bee are my fallback options (I had forgotten about Busy Bee), but there's no store close to me and shipping costs can really add up.  I've sent out a few requests to local shops and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Sparky

Offline d_harnell

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »
Hi Sparky,

I buy my bands from Graham Sales in Hamilton.  Nice company to deal with.

Dave

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
Hi Sparky,

I buy my bands from Graham Sales in Hamilton.  Nice company to deal with.

Dave

I'm assuming its these guys you're talking about? http://www.grahammachinesales.com

Can you give me the specs of the blades you use, and price?  I'd need to look at having something shipped, as Hamilton is about 2-3 hours for me.

Thanks,
-Sparky

Offline d_harnell

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
Hi Sparky,

My small saw used a band that was  1/2" wide  x 0.025" thick and 66.5" long.  You would have to check your saw for the proper size. Graham Sales sells Arntz brand bands, a German company.

I used the M42-Sprint which is a bi-metal band with a variable pitch tooth.  I used to buy three different bands, a 6/10, 8/12, and 10/14 tooth pattern.  Worked for everything I did. I remember the bands were competitive in price with Princess Auto, but far better quality.

I have a larger saw now, and still use their bands.  I bought three bands almost 1.5 years ago and they are still going strong. 

Dave

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
Also check out Atlas tools and machinery in Toronto.

Andrew

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Sparky,

Let me second Grizzly.  They have an office in Bellingham, WA and ship to Canada without trouble according to several of my friends in the Vancouver/Victoria area.  I have not tried their bandsaw blades for my 65 inch long small bandsaw, but I have been using their 104 inch long blades on my larger bandsaw exclusively for five years now.  The quality of the longer blades is something to experience.