Author Topic: 28 Cylinder Engine  (Read 6219 times)

Offline 75Plus

28 Cylinder Engine
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
Below, you will find a great test stand video of the Pratt & Whitney 4360 Wasp engine introduced in 1944. Basically, the engine was 28-cylinder four-row air cooled radial engine. Each row of pistons was slightly offset from the previous, forming a semi-helical arrangement to facilitate efficient airflow cooling of the successive rows of cylinders, with the spiraled cylinder setup inspiring the engine's "corncob" nickname. A mechanical supercharger geared at 6.374:1 ratio to engine speed provided forced induction, while the propeller was geared at 0.375:1 so that the tips did not reach inefficient supersonic speeds. Initially, it developed 3,000 horsepower, later models gave 3,500 horsepower.

The 4360 powered the B-50, successor to the B-29 and later the B-36, to name a few. And although reliable in flight, the Wasp Major was maintenance-intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs, which would require hours to clean or replace. As with most piston aircraft engines of the era, the time between overhauls of the Wasp Major was about 600 hours when used in commercial service.
           Just a test stand video of a newly restored engine. But turn the speakers all the way up. Bask in the roar of twenty-eight cylinders belching the sound of freedom. Also, the sound will most likely clear out the cat, your wife and any other extemporaneous people not accustomed to military sounds and the glorious roar of a Pratt & Whitney "round" engine. As the Warbird people say, "Jets are for kids."

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: 28 Cylinder Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »
I thought it was very quiet  :lol:

Now the video link has appeared   :wave:
John Stevenson

Offline srm_92000

• In NW Leicester
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
 :bugeye:

Amazing Vid.
Thanks for posting, I've never seen anything quite like it before, real shivers up the spine sort of stuff
imagine what it sounds like to be there :drool:.
 :lol:
How would you know if all 28 are firing on the way to the shops
'yeah I know it sounds rough dear I think number 4 & 23 are missing a bit!'

Cheers,
Steve.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:30:48 PM by srm_92000 »
Steve,
I put it back together using all the right parts,
just not necessarily in the right order.:scratch:
(Eric morecambe - ish)

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »
Just a side note for you Brits, these engines powered the Boeing Stratocruisers used by BOAC for key transatlantic routes from October 1949 until the mid 50's as this type could reliably fly non-stop eastbound from New York to London Airport. (Heathrow)

Joe

Offline metalmad

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:47:05 AM »
just awesome sound
I got to have a radial  :jaw:
pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit!