Author Topic: New guy doing the intro thing  (Read 5254 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
New guy doing the intro thing
« on: December 17, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »
Hi, to all.  My name is Roger, and I'm a mechanical designer in Rochester, NY.  I do mostly tooling and fixtures for an optical lens company.  I currently use Solidworks, but know almost all the major 3D CAD programs.  I'm also old enough to have done some of the old board drafting.  I used to do contract work, so have done a little bit of everything mechanical over the years.  I have done nuclear plumbing layouts, HVAC, designed subway cars, was an automotive designer, machine designer and worked on more consumer products than I can remember.  I don't have a clue about electronics, though.

I'm interested in anything mechanical, and a bit of a computer geek.  I am a somewhat reformed car nut.  I came upon this site from H.M.E.M., and it's good to see a lot of the same names here.  Last year I got a Homier 7x10, and recently aquired a HF micro mill (X1) with some accessories.  I've been working on a single acting vertical wobbler of my own design (i.e. ideas stolen from all over) which is nearing the final stages.  I know basic woodworking (grandad was a finish carpenter), but this whole metalworking world is pretty new to me.

I hope to learn a little while I'm here, and take ideas from all the stunning work I've seen here.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: New guy doing the intro thing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
Welcome aboard rleete  :thumbup:

Feel free to just join in whenever you fancy.

CC

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
Hi Roger!

Welcome to the club. No such thing as a reformed car nut... You always will be a car nut.

Please join in the conversations! You know much about Alibre CAD?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »
Hi Roger,

Good to know the man behind the posts  :wave:

I think you'll find that as well as learn and take a few ideas away you will be able to provide teachings and inspiration to others too.

Even little things just start others cogs turning in the right direction. The good part, you won't always have to point it out.... Our minds often just draw it off the screen!!! (well mine does!! Does that make me odd? .... Well odder than the rest of you?!?!?  :scratch:)

Take your time, no rush here, we all just show what we're upto and get a few little helpfull nudges and praises along the way..... That's why... Oh yes you guessed it........  :mmr:    :thumbup:

We'll all see you around, and look forward to seeing some of your own fun projects develop.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
You know much about Alibre CAD?

Oh, sure.  Pick one that I don't know, after I bragged about it.  :scratch:
To be honest, I've heard of it, and that's about it.  The ones I know are the larger parametric packages.  Inventor, ProE, Solidworks, etc.  I've learned everything that the various jobs have thrown at me; it's all just geometry.

As to the car thing, Rochester winters temporarily "cure" me every year.  I get the bug again just about the time the snow melts.  Next year I'm installing a new ECU (computer), supercharger and methanol injection onto my 1995 Mazda Miata.  I did suspension this past year, so now I need more power.

I got the basic shape for the crank turned tonight.  I need to take some pics.  I was happy to be able to hit the dimensions I wanted without too much trouble.  I'm starting to get the feel for the machine.  Tightening up the gibs made a huge difference.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:09:39 PM »
Well looks like everybody beat me to welcome you here.  :(

So I'll just say welcome. :wave:

And join in the fun of showing your projects.  :headbang:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
I have been dabbling with Alibre for about 2 years now. Impressive for the price. Trying to get a frame designed for my reverse trike. OFC, CAD is like auto brands... everyone has their favorite.

The Miata a track\autocross car?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
Doh! To many names to keep up with. You are the guy working on the scale tank! This is a good place for that.

Eric
Science is fun.