Author Topic: Crack in the exhaust manifold '53 Morgan plus Four  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Topos

Crack in the exhaust manifold '53 Morgan plus Four
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:38:40 AM »
The ’53 Morgan Plus Four with a Standard Vanguard engine has a crack in the exhaust manifold.
USA welding shop says they can braze the cast iron BUT the concern is the two different
coefficients of expansion.

Are there any kind souls who might know where there is a complete manifold to keep
an old Morgan alive?

Many thanks.

If you tell me how to upload a photo  I can post a picture of the car.

Offline krv3000

Re: Crack in the exhaust manifold '53 Morgan plus Four
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:51 AM »
HI im in the uk you can get over her cast iron welding rods for ark welders do a serch on google and see if you can get them in the USA

Offline Topos

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
Thank you.

I found a supplier, Muggy Weld, that has developed what seems to be the perfect
material for my welder to repair the Morgan manifold. Its composition seems to overcome
the worry of mismatch in coefficients of expansion.

Best.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
hi no problem

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:51:33 PM »
The practice of brazing cast is older than I am, and believe me that is old. It will work out with no problem. If on the other hand you want to weld it yourself, you will probably fail the first time out unless you have had a lot of experience. A good welder can do it with several types of rod available in the USA, but most welders would opt for the brazing instead of welding. Many years ago I used a silicon bronze rod and TIGed a casting for a foreign Transmission because there was a several month waiting period to get a new casting. It was still working the last I knew. Good luck and let us know what you do.

God Bless
Frank

Offline Topos

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
Pappa Frank:  As an old Marine DI friend used to say: "My Momma did not raise no fool".   :D

Welder has been given the information and it is to be hoped that he finds it.

My fondest regards to the noble souls on this wonderful site.

Best.

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
Hi

Whichever way you do it make sure you heat the whole manifiold up to ensure that it doesn't 'pull' at the welding site and distort to uselessness! Cast metals have a lovely tendency to spring all those lovely internal tensions on you when you add a lot of heat to a small area! Brazing might be safest on an irreplaceable part.

Best of luck and practice joining some cast bar first...you will see what I mean.

Would love to see pictures of your car. The Four Four has been in constant production since 1935! The Plus Eight not quite so long.

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline Topos

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
Hi

Whichever way you do it make sure you heat the whole manifiold up to ensure that it doesn't 'pull' at the welding site and distort to uselessness! Cast metals have a lovely tendency to spring all those lovely internal tensions on you when you add a lot of heat to a small area! Brazing might be safest on an irreplaceable part.

Best of luck and practice joining some cast bar first...you will see what I mean.

Would love to see pictures of your car. The Four Four has been in constant production since 1935! The Plus Eight not quite so long.

Andy

Andy,

I have never been successful in posting an image here. I do not use Cloud-Poster-For-Doofuses. :)

Any direction you can offer will be appreciated.

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
Hi Topos,

Bernd gave me tips on how to get the pictures on

"You're going to need a place to store the photo's such as "photobucket", You'll need an account. I use my own web site to host the pictures. Also the pictures should be sized to about 600 X 800 pixels. These are then embedded into the text with the "img" comand located in the upper left of the reply area.

Also check the forum. I believe Ralph did a tutorial or write up on how to do all that. Can't remember exactly where that is located right now.

Bernd"

Does that help?
Doing it that way also means that you can post pictures at the appropriate place in your text which makes life a lot clearer.

Good luck

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border