Author Topic: Cast Iron Fixed Steady  (Read 4941 times)

Offline fluxcored

Cast Iron Fixed Steady
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:46:46 AM »
A month ago I saved a cast iron fixed steady in perfect condition from the scrappy. Unfortunately it's still slightly too large for my lathe and the base also does'nt fit onto my v ways.

My plan is to cut off the base and a little bit off the length off the steady - I'm still repairing/modifying my height gauge and as soon as I receive some parts will continue with the marking and the cutting of the steady.

What I'm unclear about is how to fit the shortened steady to a new base? Should I weld it, should I braze it or should I make the base L shape and bolt the steady to that (which to me is the ugliest repair possible) ?

I plan to make the base out of a piece of mild steel. The webs of the steady is about 5mm thick and my inclination is to braze it to the mild steel base.

Otherwise I can get some cast iron rods - which is hyper expensive around here - and weld it.

It is a great steady and I do'nt want to ruin it.

"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Cast Iron Fixed Steady
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:10:29 AM »
I would use bolt joint if possible. I'm from the farm and tried to weld a lot of cast iron. Some welded, many didn't. Many parts cracked eventually in use. If I remember right importat thing was to clean parts well, make good v:s and preheat the parts evenly, after the welding we covered the part and let them cool slowly. Never tried to weld any other metal to cast iron, it was usually a broken lug or a crack. We used stick welder of least 300A rating.

I have no idea about brazing or soft soldering of cast iron.

My first impression would be trying to swap this steady to something and build steady out of scartch, well I would use arms/shoes.

Pekka

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:46:56 AM »
Cast iron can be brazed but for what you are doing I too suggest bolts.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:51:04 AM »
I am another vote for bolting it together. Some cast iron can be a pain to weld even for the experts.

Dave

Offline mike os

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »
pin, bolt & glue ... weld/braze is a pita and not really nessary fot this application
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
..... or should I make the base L shape and bolt the steady to that (which to me is the ugliest repair possible) ?

If height permits, a new base with a slot across the top to take a corresponding tongue on the bottom of the rest proper, with hidden socket head screws passing up through the base into the tongue and their heads recessed in counterbores, might meet your aesthetic objections to bolting the thing together.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:39:34 AM »
Bolt's it is then.

Thx gents.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton