Author Topic: Casting Zinc into a disk shape?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline ibby7

Casting Zinc into a disk shape?
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »
Before you all go mental on me for the simplified title. Let me explain...

Id like to own a Zinc polishing disk for my watchmaking project, but for the life of me I cannot find a suitable supplier of them.

Iv posted on various forums so if you google it you will probably sooner or later find a thread started by me  :doh:

Here is a picture of the disk in use. approx 10-15mm thick. approx 150mm diameter?

you get the idea, If anyone could make one i would happily pay for the privilege.

Rob.Wilson

Re: Casting Zinc into a disk shape?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:28 AM »
Hi ibby

Try serching for. Flat zinc lap.

Rob

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Ibby,

Zinc was one of the easiest metals to cast there is.  Many components for cars are made from #2 (diecasting) zinc.  Older cars have rear-view mirrors, door handles, and the like made from zinc.  (As of a year-and-a-half ago, #2 zinc was selling for $1.15/lb for small quantities from home hobbyist supply houses here in the U.S.)  It can easily be melted on a stove (390°C melting point -- though you should have an exhaust fan running when you do so) and poured into a mold (which should be properly heated to 350°C or so) and cooled.  I have gotten good results using (well-finished) plaster of paris molds.

I often "suggest" to people who express an interest in casting to start with zinc.  It is easier to work with than aluminum and most of the equipment you need is already in your home.  The main thing is to get a good Corningware pot (often available from 2nd hand stores) to melt in -- though I have used old tin cans in a pinch.  It can still burn you badly (as can almost anything being melted), but the temperatures are more like "cooking" than "industrial."

???

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:15:53 PM »
I know this is a bit  :offtopic: but I'm interested in how you use one

Also if you do consider casting one yourself a lot of UK car wheel weights are now zinc as lead was banned a while ago ,befriend your local mechanic/tyre fitter for free old zinc wheel weights  :D
Jason

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
Any experience with HOT or LOW chamber die casting Lew?

All these manufacturing processes I've read about in good old books but not much hands on experience.