Author Topic: DIY fixed steady for a lathe: CQ9325 10 x 18" (250x450mm)  (Read 23061 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: DIY fixed steady for a lathe: CQ9325 10 x 18" (250x450mm)
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
Thanks Andy :beer:

Could not have made without you guys, pretty much all the input came from here and that how it came out! I was afraid parts sliding I draw few jigs, but then tought of most simple solution and decided to chain them together with a bolt. Then I tought of making 5 mm spacers, but M8 nuts were close enough. The brass bar moved in the end, but lucily I was aware of it and had eneugh material to play with.

Next time I'll use less cap and maybe just a slightly more solder. I know from experience that people has tendency to put too much glue, solder, weld and starve the joint in the middle. Because I'm aware of this I'll make different faults :bang:

I like my beverage every now and then, but with my hobbies I might be closer to make my own foundry than distellery.....

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
Right...took daughter and wife to airport...bit lonely for a month, but probably I will have have some garage time...

Gave my camera away this old nikon makes really ugly pictures, this piece looks like turd. My apoligies.

Slot drilling was easy. Used just a tad over 5 mm two flute slot drill. 1,5 mm deep cut at a time. I used shop vack and no cutting fluid.

Boltted all parts together and dry tested, so far so good.

There is just one slight consideration left. See last picture.

I'm a little undesided:
* First plan was to drill trough whole contraption a hole for M8 cap head screw and insert the screw from the top. No problem there. Could even make special allen key....but I don't like it fiddly. I dummytested it and I dont't like anymore....
* Second plan was to cut a 8mm slot to the lower ali abutment to allow to insert normal bolt...I don't think it would weaken it unnecessarry.

Original design was such that the screw took a hold from foot and the upper body was just noched to allow use of key.

I take hints how to improve appearance. I'd like arms look better, but I don't like painting them - that would be unpractical. I don't have chemical blackening compound and I'm afraid it would make brass look clapped.

Thank you, if this contraption works, I might be back on track on spotting drill very soon.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
Back on track...

Now this thing is in working order. No way finished, but as far as I tested it's functional. I'm going to change screws to the arms. They look rally poxy, but are high tensile strengt, bit short (only 10 mm of thread engagement on M5, ok on ali, but thread durability would be better with longer) and really annoying small key size.

Arms are small, but this lathe is build such that tool overhang will be problem before and I build this for small parts, and for learning experience. I still have to work for accuracy - I have tendency to think long and then rush to finish the idea. Bugger.

Pekka

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
Nicely done Pekka  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks a good solid steady you have made there  :dremel: ,,,,,,,,your post  gave me a few good ideas  for when i come  to make one for my CUB lathe  :thumbup:

Rob