Author Topic: T-Nuts  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
T-Nuts
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere I'm in need of some T-nuts for all my machines as I have none at all.

One reason for this posting is to show how I did it, but more importantly, for me, is to see if I have it right and if anyone can suggest a better way before I go ahead and make any more.
The thread on these is 6mm, this seems on the small side to me? Maybe I'd be better off making these as studs instead of nuts. Then they could be beefed up to 8mm.

Anyways have a look at what I've done and see what you think....

For stock I used this old bolt, I cut the head off the other day testing my new "Rage" saw...

Stuck it in the lathe, it wasn't very stable as the collet was a little too large, So I carefully skimmed one end, turned it around and stuck it in another collet.

This material machines really nicely, prob the best steel I've turned to date..

You can see I've turned a shoulder, now attacking it with a 5mm drill bit. After using a center drill of course.

Then tapped it to a 6mm thread

It was then parted off and a second one made.

Off to the mill to create the flats....I took 10 thou with each pass. My miller didn't seem to complain about such light cuts...

All sides done now

And finally a pic with them fitted to the shaper machine...

Well that's it. about all I could manage tonight, spent half the day in bed with "man flu" so I was struggling a bit.
Still better to do this than mope around all day....

Darren

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:03:33 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: T-Nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
Darren,

I got out my 6mm tap out  :bugeye: which looks close to a 1/4"-20 imperial. It does look a bit small for holding the vise down on the shaper.

Here's my suggestion, if you feel that 6mm is to small, would be to take a piece of flat stock machine so if fits in the bottom of the T-slot. Then use a tap that will fit between the upper part of the T.

Here's a quick Crap-O-Cad of what I mean.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:03:13 PM »
Yes does seem a bit on the small side Bernd,

6mm is almost 1/4"-26,

8mm a tad over 5/16

Trouble is a bit of flat stock may be a bit thin, only have about 8mm to play with here, that would give about 5 and a half threads at most. Prob just 5 in reality.

But if it was made into a T-bolt instead of a T-Nut that would make it much stronger all round....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
But if it was made into a T-bolt instead of a T-Nut that would make it much stronger all round....

I guess I didn't read very good then. Your right a T-bolt would be stronger than a T-nut.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds