Author Topic: Pressure fitting 1/32" wire to make a pin wheel.  (Read 19612 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Pressure fitting 1/32" wire to make a pin wheel.
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
On question:
Are these diamond wheels diamond and not something else?

I hear often that diamond can't be used for steel:
http://www.krueckemeyer.de/english/products/abrasives/diamondcbn.htm

But then again one tool grinder said that he cut chip breaker (small grove) to HSS blanks "with diamond". Does cutting speed and cooling has a role here?

I use diamond lap to charppen w¤¤d working tools, but I'm pretty confident I don't overheat it.

So what is the story?

Pekka

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
Hi Chris

Could you not just buy some 1/32 x 1/4 dowel pins  :med:     http://www.teng.co.uk/imp-hardened-steel-dowel-pins_4186_pl.asp

Rob
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:37:51 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
 :poke: :bang: :poke: :bang: :poke: :bang: :poke: :bang: :poke:

Could have told me that earlier  :poke: :poke:

LOL  :lol:  Nice one mate! That 100% solves that issue!!     :bow: :bow: :bow:

Chris

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
 :)   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »
200 ordered  :)   Will they be square ended or being dowels I guess the ends will already be slightly tapered  :ddb:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Hi Chris

They will probably have a slight chamfer on the ends ,,,, :thumbup:

Any way what you making  :poke: :poke: :poke:   ,,,,,,,,,musical box ?

Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »
 :( :( :(

Money was refunded this morning with a phone call telling me that all lengths of the 1/32" are discontinued :(

Looks like I`m back onto cutting them from 1/32" silver steel. Hopefully my order from College Engineering Supplies will be here this weekend, I`ve been waiting nearly a week now.

Rob - I`m back onto my very first original project I ever picked in 2004 when I purchased a Unimat 3 at university. (stupidly with no experience back then) .  I`m building Dr Woodwards Gearless Clock - designed and build write up by Wilding:

I`ll start my project log soon with more details. I`m pretty crystal clear with how it all runs now, just need to figure out the maintaining works but I think that`ll become more obvious once the motion works/main train is together.

Anyway, back on topic. ...  :( :( about the dowel pins, what a cracking buy they would have been. Absolutely spot on!! I`m basically trying to make them from silver steel.
Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 07:01:58 AM »
Smallest I can find from other suppliers is 1/16   ... looks like that idea is now washed away, nay mind!

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:24 AM »
Chris,

Is this the escapement you are building?

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/horology/bpinwhl.html

Joe

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 07:08:28 AM »
Hi Joe, sorry, never replied. By now you have probably seen my Dr Woodwards Gearless clock thread, so no, your escapement shows a pin wheel escapement. Mine is an escapement using a pin wheel but using a gated detent, so no really as shown in the image.

Regarding digging this thread back up to the top, I`ve had a horrific weekend trying to cut these pins! You don`t appreciate how thin 1/32" until you see the steel wire. I setup my dremel which cut the steel OK, but I couldn`t get the disk to cut near enough to any sort of jig I was holding the wire in. The only method that worked involved me chucking the wire up to lightly file the taper and then chucking the wire back up, setting the jig to put the wire to the right length, cutting the pin with the dremel and then re-chucking the wire to file the sharp edge made by the dremel. It took me nearly 4-8 minutes a pin. Now I know I need more patience, but that was taking the biscuit to do all 60 pins!  I tried parting with a stop held in the tailstock for length and the cut was so messy that even right up to the chuck I was bending the wire a little. I could have used a split collet but it wasn`t worth wasting more time in another method I thought wasn`t going to work.

Anyway, I spent last night building a pin punch as suggested on the Gadget Builder website.... I hope that works OK !! I didn`t get chance to try it before bed!! 

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
You probably have up-hill all the way until you'll find the right process. This is seriously small dimenssion and all comes very critical with it. Chucks will not nip this small material very close to nose, you would need a very small parting off blade, very near to centre line and very sharp...I used loupe to cut few and you have way more than 60 pcs!

What material you settled with and how does it cuts? Does it machines easy, work hardening, soft, hard? How does that biscuit crumble?

With a little bit of luck you might have a material that could be soft enough to shear, but not like scissor or pliers. More like two hardened blades with minimal clearance and a close fitting, but not tight hole on right trough both of them. Idea being of shearing, but not flattening.

I'm sure you will crack it one way or another.

Pekka

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »
Disregard please.

Joe

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
...did I say something wrong?  disregard what?  :scratch:

For those interested, I completed this pin wheel here: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=5466.msg60623#new  page 4 (ish)

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
Disregard my reply. I made a comment then found that you had solved the problem and had completed the pin wheel. I tried to delete my comment but you can't do that so I just modified it to "Disregard" Sorry for the confusion. :bow: :bow:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
 :beer: I see!!  Thanks for taking interest.