Author Topic: Help Please, I want to drive a 180 nm stepper manualley  (Read 9797 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Help Please, I want to drive a 180 nm stepper manualley
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
Hi I have a 180Ncm - Hybrid Stepper Motor from arc http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Stepper-Motors/Stepper-Motors and I want to be able to drive it forward and reverse, I want to use it as a Power feed and to lift the head of a mill up and down, the reason is I have trouble turning high item or even reaching them, so a stand alone board that I can duplicate I have a couple of driver boards but I need to input a signal to them to make them move, I think it will be an ideal mad modder program as there have been lots of projects by modders making power feeds andup to now I have not seen this method used,

Thanks

:ddb: :ddb:  Peter   :ddb: :ddb:                                           :nrocks:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:53:08 AM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Help Please, I want to drive a 180 nm stepper manualey
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:58 PM »
Hiya Peter

Somewhere, I am gonna have to search, I have a schematic for a simple driver. It was provided by Craynerd... perhaps there is a thread... I will look.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Re: Help Please, I want to drive a 180 nm stepper manualley
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
oops just spoted Craynerd post on the subject,              :doh:     but as it is 2 years old there may have been advances that may make it easeyer to do..

:ddb: :ddb:  Peter  :ddb: :ddb:                                                 :nrocks:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2417.0                                                
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:53:42 AM by HS93 »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
Hi Peter

Yes, I do exactly the same thing and it has worked really well and being busy with other projects, I`ve never really gone back to tidy it up as it works. That being said, it was my first true attempt at programming a PIC so I`m sure there are improvements that could be made to it. The only extra thing that I did to it was a limit setting function which is fantastic! You can set limits at either side of the work which means you can move from one side and back again, with the click of a button, just moving the travel as needed.

If you need any help let me know and I`ll do my best...

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »
Hi I have read all your post and most of it was on programing, have you any pictures info on the actual hardwear of the project Ie what it looks like inside what the boards are like and any circuits, i am ok building electronic items but hopless on the programming side so any help would be great.

PS also looked at your web site

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:53:57 AM by HS93 »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »
Pete

I can put the code to a PIC for you but it isn`t the best - good enough for me but was never really intended to share.

Basically the circuit is so simple. There are a number of pins on the PIC. One of which is +5V (so you need to make some sort of voltage reg.), the other ground, then their are a number of buttons. Finally one pin is connected to the step of the driver and the other is sent to direction of the driver and that is it! The PIC does all the work. I`m not really into electronics so the only thing I found a little tricky was the arrangement of a few resistors (pull up or pull down, I forget) on the buttons.

My daughter has now stopped crying so I`m going back to bed!!!!!  ::)   I`ll let you know more tomorrow and take some pictures after work.

Chris

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
thanks for that .   hope she goes to sleep for you,

Peter
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:54:21 AM by HS93 »

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:24:34 AM »
Peter, wouldnt it be better if you bought a kit to do this say from Quasar Electronics?

I bought one of these: http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3179-standalone-computer-controlled-unipolar-stepper-motor-driver.htm

to drive the same motor..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:27:48 AM »
Peter, wouldnt it be better if you bought a kit to do this say from Quasar Electronics?

I bought one of these: http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3179-standalone-computer-controlled-unipolar-stepper-motor-driver.htm

to drive the same motor..
so can that be used without a computer ?

Peter
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:54:48 AM by HS93 »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:56 AM »
They look good, I bought one off ebay, sime idea with a step and dir button. I`m 99% sure everything was wired correctly as it run for about 2 minutes and then suddenly the driver board starting smoking and it all went down hill from there. I was only testing it and I couldn`t see anything wrong so why it did it I don`t know. I then purchased the Arc Euro driver and it ran just fine on the same setup and then I made my stepper board....but they look much easier than trying to make one!

Chris

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:50:39 AM »
I would still like to Go with your idea Chris as the display and the way you can tell it to go so far and stop is ideal for the things I do when milling plasticks. if you have any pictures of the inside of your it would be handy,

thanks john I have read the manual now and it is a good back up, I have several driver boars with the corect rating for the steppers already.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
Pete

I can put the code to a PIC for you but it isn`t the best - good enough for me but was never really intended to share.

Basically the circuit is so simple. There are a number of pins on the PIC. One of which is +5V (so you need to make some sort of voltage reg.), the other ground, then their are a number of buttons. Finally one pin is connected to the step of the driver and the other is sent to direction of the driver and that is it! The PIC does all the work. I`m not really into electronics so the only thing I found a little tricky was the arrangement of a few resistors (pull up or pull down, I forget) on the buttons.

My daughter has now stopped crying so I`m going back to bed!!!!!  ::)   I`ll let you know more tomorrow and take some pictures after work.

Chris

did you find any info at all ?

Peter

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
Sorry Peter, missed this post totally, hadn`t seen any replies!!

I`m not going to lie to you, it has been a while since I`ve had out my EasyPIC  board so it`ll take me a couple of days to blow the code over to the chip. I`ll send a PIC out to you early to mid next week if you can get me an address via pm. I`ll post some pics on here when I find time over the next few days but other than the button/resistor arrangement, it really is easy. You`ll need a standard LCD screen if you haven`t got one. I`ll send you a photocopy of the info for that. Again, that is just a series of connections to to various pins on the pic all of which I can label.

Hope this is OK?

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »
pm sent your way.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »