Author Topic: Hyperthrem/Sellstrom Multi purpose Plasma cutting face shield  (Read 7583 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Hypertherm multi-purpose Faceshield is a plasma cutting shield with a flip up feature that allows you to torch cut and then grind or re orientate yourself to continue cutting with out flipping it up.

The clear shield is an anti fog window, The flip up is a shade 8 IR flip up half window. From looking at the head gear it is high quality. It is Manufactured by the Sellstrom company. Here are some pictures:

It looks to be a Eruo design or at least that's the feel and look of it.

Addendum:Here is the Sellstrom Home page for DP4™ Multi-Purpose Faceshield Series
here you go they also have shields for glass work and aluminum and cast iron gas welding
This way you can cut out the middle man if you look for one
http://products.sellstrom.com/details_new.asp?seriesID=58

I want to add to this shield thread, Since I brought up the Hypertherm brand of the Sellstrom multi-purpose shield. Don't know if any one else has had the same problem?
Mine snapped at the mounting points of the flip up hinges on the shaded lens.
Since it is a rolled hollow rivet that holds the on, it could have been just to much pressure when rolling the rivets to hold them on. Or something else, I have tried to be careful with it. I always thought that the attachment points might be the weak link in the item.

About the 8th or 9th time I was using it.One snapped, I used a small spring clip to hold it in place. Then the other one went. Since there are no scratches or other damage to the shaded shield I didn't want to buy a new shaded shield in case it was a design flaw. So I came up with a repair improvement for mounting it to the hinges.
Now you can make two separate pieces, as it will be easier than the long u shaped strip I made.

were they broke off at

The hinge attachment points

The aluminum U channel

The aluminum channel on the top of the shield, getting ready to drill the new holes. I also used some of the E6000 adhesive ( the industrial version of the stuff called GooP) to bed the shield in the channel. Since the first time it fell off during cutting.

The finished job, I used some 6-32 screws and nuts to mount them as I didn't have any short pop rivets.
The repair has worked well and I'm still happy with the way shield is designed to do, just not with the thought that was put into designing the mounting hinge system.

It is clear the people that designed it have never used one for hours at a time other than sitting at their desks, patting themselves on the back for what a good job they done
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline jcs0001

Re: Hyperthrem/Sellstrom Multi purpose Plasma cutting face shield
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
Good fix - I have had similar problems with face shields (used for wood turning or whatever) - they aren't designed to last much longer than walking out of the store.

John.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
I have one of these for general grinding and use it when I wood turn
I bought mine from amazon, they are sold at woodcrafters stores too and everywhere on the net.

Sperian Protection S8500 Bionic Face Shield it is available from amazon currently Price:     $26.34                                         & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
The hard coat anti fog shield is $13.99
Uvex S8555 Bionic shield replacement lens clear polycarbonate

Uvex Bionic shield replacement lens clear polycarbonate Shade3.0 S5860 $27.92 $18.01 
The regular lens is $7.86
Since I don't do paypal I ordered one here.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »
Thought I would let the member and readership know that I have just received the replacement plasma cutting green face shield, that over lays the Hypertherm branded plasma cutting face shield.
Thanks to the customer service person Harry @ Hypertherm.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen