Author Topic: Can you convert/adapt a compressor to be a vacume pump  (Read 17225 times)

Offline timeone

Can you convert/adapt a compressor to be a vacume pump
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »
Can you convert/adapt a compressor to be a vacume pump
sounds like its possible as after all a compressor pumps the air so how can i make it suck.
any help appreciated

Offline TroyO

Re: Can you convert/adapt a compressor to be a vacume pump
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »
A lot depends on what you are expecting from it..... are you pulling a hard vacuum like for air conditiner service or are you doing something like making a vacuum forming machine?

Generally, the bigger the pump the harder it will be to convert. A small, electric tire pump is pretty easy to convert. (Mini-vac table?)

A compressor such as is used in refrigeration (IR, home refregerators/freezers) can be used with decent sucess but tend to spit a little oil. OK for a small vacuum forming machine or maybe a vacuum bagging veneeer press.

Haha, in short... like so many things "It depends". What compressor do you got and what are you trying to do with it?

Offline TroyO

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »
Timeone,

I've used a refrigirator compressor. Troy is right that it'll spit a little of the oil. I found it worked for me for de-airing rubber molds.

As Troy said what are you trying to do?

As far as turning a compressor into a vaccum pump again as TroyO said it can be done.

Link here to my website.

Bernd

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »
Heya,

I work with friends who design and build Formula cars. They also build a lot of composite parts for other clients as well as make bodywork and parts for thier own cars. THe vast majority of parts they make are all bagged.

The setup they have is shockingly simple, and inexpensive, yet very very effective. I will get pictures of it for the board.. but I will describe it.

They went and bought a refigerator pump from a scrap appliance place.
Then they made a matrix of 9 Freon/AC containers.. they look like slightly smaller propane tanks for gas grills. The tanks all have the lines internonnected to a manifold with a valve that goes to the pump.
THe other side of the manifold has like 6 or 9 connections running from it with small valves on each one, and hard plastic flexible line, like used for a icemaker. slip fit connections also.

THey fire up the compressor, and open the valve to the tanks, and it pulls them down till it gets to wehre they want.. it takes 10 or 15 minutes to pull it down where they want. In the mean time they have all the carbon cut how they want, and the peel ply etc all sorted and ready to go on.
Lay up the part, put all the peel ply and plastic over it, and they have a thin clay roll around the border that it all sticks to. Then they have the tubes connected under the plastic in strategic areas as needed, and if they use 2 tuibes.... or 3.. or all of them.. thats fine.
When ready they simply open the valves on the ones they need, and the compressor keeps pumping.. but the tanks have enough volume to suck in all the air and clear things down real nice.

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »
I used a refrigerator compressor for a number of years. To handle the spitting of oil I routed the discharge line through a container to catch it. When there was an ounce or so collected I would suck it back into the unit via the suction line. That is the way that oil that migrates through a refrigeration system gets back.

Joe

Offline TroyO

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
If what you are up to is vacuum bagging, take a look at this site. GREAT info.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

Look at the vacuum venturi systems too.... they use air pressure through a venturi system to suck out air and create vacuum.

My experience is more with vac forming machines. I got lucky when building my big machine and scored a 21 CFM (!?!) 2 stage vac pump off Ebay for peanuts so I have plenty O suck. LOL,

Harbor Freight also sells a cheap vac pump that is quite servicible that commonly goes on sale for under $100.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

Offline timeone

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »
Cheers guy
Yes that exactly what i wanted to do ive got my air line compressor sat there not doing much and would like to convert it to do vacume bagging im a bit of a bike fan and have built a nice 500 150mph jobbie all it lacks is so nice carbon bits nothing special brackets more than anything but id certainly like to be able to make stuff as i needed it
summers on its way so hope i can put in some hours learning

Offline Pete.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
Madmodding bikes? Lets see some details then!

Offline timeone

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »
The motor
Suzuki rg500 square 4 completly rebuilt at a cost of £2k

The frame is an Aprilia rs250 lots of modifying to get the engine to fit but the end result is pretty good

Just about to strip it down and prepare for painting this is the final scheme.   

Offline Pete.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
Now that's more like it! Quilfies for both modding and mad together :D

With a bit more cutting you might be able to get MY engine in :D

Offline Davet

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:52:11 AM »
Absolutely. !!!!!!! A collegue of mine builds aircraft and his vacuum system is a very small , very cheap , chinese compresser with the inlet side connected to the poly bag to compress the fibreglass.
Regards
Dave Tointon