Author Topic: Another newbie saying hello!  (Read 5923 times)

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
Another newbie saying hello!
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:29 PM »
Hi All,

Found this site a short while ago and what a wealth of knowledge and ideas!

I am a man in my best years (I like to think) normally working with IT and information matters. I have several areas of interest, the main one being model railroading. The reason for starting with engineering and adding metalworking equipment to my workshop was to be able to produce all those small round things and drives for MRR-vehicles.

But let's stick to the metal working side of my interests, at least here on this site.

I started off with a small bench-size drillpress and shortly afterwards a micro lathe, an MJ-189 (Unimat 4 clone). These are very versatile and well functioning small machines, but... After having purchased the two books by GH Thomas and started subscribing to Model Engineers Workshop to read up on metal working, this part of the hobby branched out to become its own. Having started off by trying the machine out, I made a few things from GHTs books using the micro machine as far as I could - and it could do a lot! My first and simple version of the Universal Pillar Tool built from a cheap power drill drill-press stand was the result.

Shortly after this there were ads from ARC about the C3 lathe at a very reasonable price - even with shipping to Sweden added to the price! A very good purchase now working at its best. Only a year later there was a sale at a local store that provided me with a small Super X1L mill. So now I have a typical messy Mini Workshop in which I try to produce the tooling that is either nice-to-have or too expensive buying. Furthermore these activities will give more hands-on experience and make me do less errors as time goes (because I do make errors   :doh: ).

Even though my three children now can take care of themselves, there is a the day job, my dear wife, and our house to take care of. All resulting in too little time in the hobby area. Therefore the pace of creating and producing items and describe them here will be a slow activity.

I noted that you do like pictures, and I will include such, but in other threads in other subgroups here like my shop, the gallery, etc. but to avoid an up rising I include a small picture of the harbor part of my MRR-layout.

BR

/Peter

Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Another newbie saying hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
Peter

Welcome to MadModder. It looks like you made a good job of the universal pillar tool. It will come in handy for many things. If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. We look forward to your participation in the forums.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
Peter, :wave:

Welcome.

Gets in your blood and empties your pockets :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
Hi Peter :wave: welcome to madmodder, we're glad to have you with us, and even happier that you brought pictures :D

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
Hi
Peter
Welcome to mad modders :D :D :D
As long as you post pictures you will do ok  :) :) :)
John

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »
Hi Peter.

Wellcome from other side of the gulf! Show the pictures of your workshop. Probably no-one has messier than I have!

Pekka

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Thanx for a warm welcome!

I will post some more about my work and my workshop, but under the respective subgroups.

Thanx again!

BR

/Peter

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
Welcome Peter,

From one model railroader to another, anything goes here, it doesn't have to be metal only. I started in HO and have now added O and On3. Not being stisfied with those scales I went straight for 1 1/2" live steam. That's one way to get in your model railroading and building a steam engine in one. I'm currently starting to build a four truck Shay in 1 1/2" scale.

Again welcome to the cube.  :borg:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
Hello PeterE welcome to Madmodder. I think you will like it here.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:53:10 AM »
Hi And Welcome Peter  :wave: :headbang:

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 10:30:38 AM »
Hiya Peter  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Glad you made it on. Like the model scene... very nice.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
Hi,

I really feel welcome here, thank you very much everyone, I really feel welcome to this group!  :D

A little more about the small harbor scene. The boat/ship is a scratch built attempt for a UK puffer. I found drawings at one of the sites that were good enough for the build. The crane behind is a part scratch built crane with origin from Gothenburg harbour - crane no 36 at "Masthuggskajen". The undercarriage is the built bit and the housing comes from a Kibri kit. The crane has lighting which is fed from the crane tracks so I can place the crane wherever I like.

I build in H0 scale with H0 and H0n3 track systems.

But enough of this, this is a metal working forum  :D

BR

/Peter

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »

But enough of this, this is a metal working forum  :D

BR
/Peter

Hi Pete ,,,,,,,,,,,, This is a just about anything goes forum  :med: ,,,,,,,,,, i hope we will see more of your layout  :thumbup: :)

Rob  

PS ,,,,,,,,,,You made a good job of scratch building the crane and boat  :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »

But enough of this, this is a metal working forum  :D

Hi Peter... We are an everything forum!  :headbang: If you can make it/build it/mod it, It belongs here. I brought this place about because on several other forums I am on, are kind of focused. Which is completely understandable for them. But I noticed that people who were building stuff in metal (such as engines) had other interests and hobbies (as I do). I wanted a place for the same people I knew on other forums to show off their stuff.

So feel free to post this stuff. Most of us want to see more  :med:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 11:38:48 AM »
Aha, good to know that there is room for a lot of model building regardless of which branch :headbang:

I'll be back with more pics later on.

BR

/Peter