Author Topic: Bandit gets assaulted  (Read 7672 times)

bogstandard

Bandit gets assaulted
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
Not feeling too bad today, I decided to take bandit for a short walk on his lead to a local playing fields, so he could have a good run around and a lot of sniffs.

All of a sudden he was attacked from behind by a large German Shepherd. Supposedly it had watched us walk past the house, then squeezed itself thru the iron railings surrounding it's pen. I managed to get a good shot in and it freed him, but not before it had done the damage.

A quick call to the police and the dog warden had the owner and dog sorted.

Bandit took a little longer. A drive to the vets and a staple job on the very deep gash. The bill will be sent to the owner.

What would have happened if it had been a young child?

I am still in two minds whether to request the dog be put down.

BTW, Bandit is now playing on it, and the wife has been hand feeding him while he was laying down. As soon as we had a visitor, he was up like a shot, just like normal, licking their knees to death.

John

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Bandit gets assaulted
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
That just stinks.  There is absolutely no reason to have an agressive dog; blame it on the owners.  I have seen dogs of all shapes and sizes, and they can be as gentle as a lamb or a snarling menace.  It has no bearing on the breed, or size, just the training (or lack thereof) and treatment of the dog.

Feel no guilt if you have the attacker put down, and I hope Bandit feels okay in short order.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »
Sorry to hear Bandit got bit. Hope he has full recovery and is his old self soon.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »
Damn! I feel bad for Bandit. There is no excuse for the owner. If he has a dog that is aggressive, then it is the owner's responsibility for that dog to not get out and hurt someone or another pet. I can understand a little if the dog escaped by accident. But with the way you described it, the dog got lose very easily.

I have a German Shepherd. I love that dog to death. She is very gentle and kind, that is until you try to harm any of the family members.

How was the owner to you? Apologetic and remorseful or who gives a damn attitude?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
Bloody hell John... That's a mean gash... Glad the little fella's ok... Knee licking... Sounds familliar!     :)

I'll have to bring him a treat on the weekend.... What's his favourite?

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »
Hi John

Sorry that Bandit got injured he's a real nice dog a bit of a softy, a lot of the agresion in dogs I feel comes from their owners, I've had a few dogs in my time and all of them were gentle non agresive animals.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:27:15 AM »
I'll have to bring him a treat on the weekend.... What's his favourite?

Postmen, especially in the summer when they wear shorts, he can lick their knees quicker.

But on a more sombre note.

The owner is one of those macho types that thinks his dogs are an extension of his personality.

But in all fairness, his dogs are very well trained when out and about, and are perfect when out with his wife on a lead, they don't pull and obey their commands religiously. I occasionally see them when I take Bandit for a walk, and there has never been any sort of aggression before.

It just seems that the younger male one has a liking for eating small dogs when the owners aren't about.

He was very apologetic, and everyone has been reassured that it will not happen again, as he is redesigning his garden railing area where the dogs are kept.

The dog warden has promised that strict controls will be put on his installation.

In the light of the situation, I have decided to take no further action against the offending animal, on the understanding that if anything like this ever happens again, it will be for the chop.

Bogs

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:01:42 AM »
Glad to here that everything is going to be ok. Dogs do what the owner lets them get away with. It is to bad that the dogs are sometimes punished for what they do rather than the owners being put down. We have a couple in the neighborhood, that need to be neutered and or put down (owners that is)  :wack:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about Bandit John, hope he solders on to a full recovery.

I personally feel that many dogs are not suitable as pets. I'm not talking breeds here, more the individual dogs themselves.

It's interesting that a farmer may shoot several sheep dogs before he finds one to keep. This of course is not something pet owners tend to do and as a result we are left with some problems. I could go on, I love dogs but it's hard to find a good one.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:50:53 AM »
I am sure he will make a full recovery, this sort of breed are hard as nails.

It is funny people should mention about how a dog is brought up and trained.

When we first had him, the vet told us to beat him with a newspaper if any bad tendancies showed. I only had to tap him the once, then after that, just showing him a rolled up newspaper did the job. And as anyone who has ever met Bandit will testify to, he has none of the aggressive traits that are associated with Jack Russells, unless I tell him he can play at it, but then he stops as soon as I say enough. But some of his inbuilt traits do show at times, like when the cat brings home a live mouse, five seconds later, goodbye mouse.

Good training is the secret in keeping good dogs.

John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »

I personally feel that many dogs are not suitable as pets. I'm not talking breeds here, more the individual dogs themselves.

It's interesting that a farmer may shoot several sheep dogs before he finds one to keep. This of course is not something pet owners tend to do and as a result we are left with some problems. I could go on, I love dogs but it's hard to find a good one.

I have to agree with that, we have had 7 Old English Sheepdogs now and will the exception of the first pair they have all been rescue dogs. I don't believe in buying from breeders, they just compound the problem. If you can have a child for nothing then I'm damn well not prepared to pay £400 to £500 notes for a pedigree dog.
Why does it even need to be pedigree ? does it eat less ?

Of the rescue dogs all had problems but not enough to be overcome and make good dogs.
I have the public coming here every day and young children so I can't afford to have a fierce dog.

In the UK we have  big show called Crufts which is the highlight of the dog world here in the UK, this year the BBC have refused to show it on TV as the organisers, The Kennel Club have not done enough to stop breeders breeding for show and not for the dogs sake.
We have dogs with inborn hip problems because they want them to stand a certain way, we have King Charles spaniels bread with a brain too big for their skull because again it's all about looks.

Pity you can't put these wankers down instead.

JS.
John Stevenson

Circlip

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »
Hope the other half or the duo is soon recovered John, has the perpetraitors owner OFFERED to pay the vet's bill??  Hmmm, brought up and training, that one is always going to be a pile of worms, and I can speak as an owner of Ally's for over 40 years, and no, I don't think they give me enlarged Testes, I also drive a Fiat Punto.

Just to relate, and I'm not suggesting that you were in any way in error, one of the best dogs we had was one I bought for the Missis to try to replace one that had been stolen. Looks were enough to  stop her in her tracks, (the DOG, not the Missis) Ace round kids and the whole gamut, untill she was pregnant and the grandson managed to "Fall" on her. T'only thing she did was show her teeth, and that was fine untill the grandson was told to apologise to the dog by the daughter in law and she bared her teeth again. At this point I went apesh7t with the D.I.L cos last time the child got anywhere near her it hurt so was a natural reaction. We had a litter of 12 pups, Oh what fun, and everything was fine for months untill other son came with his two daughters who then proceeded to get too close for the dogs comfort and she showed this by baring her teeth again, no bites at ANY time. The following day, with an extremely heavy heart, my next best pal for six years was at the vets and killed, but that was our choice as resposible owners as if she'd actually bitten anyone elses kids, that would have been devastating.

It's surprising how large some dogs "Territories" are, and yes I know it was a public access area,but dogs don't understand this. In another life, I used to compete in toy RC thermal competitions and we used to load the gliders and our kids into the car with one of our Scotties (now THEY are tenacious little bu**ers). He would religeously "Guard" my gliders where they were parked well behind the flight lines and once let off after a kid on the other side of the field, he didn't bite him, but certainly improved his school sports day times and luckily his father found this rather amusing. "A dog that don't like kids can't be ALL bad".

Anyroad, best wishes to bandit and give him a bonio or a piece of Wenslydale from me.

Best regards  Ian.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:48:58 AM by Circlip »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
I am sure he will make a full recovery, this sort of breed are hard as nails.

But some of his inbuilt traits do show at times, like when the cat brings home a live mouse, five seconds later, goodbye mouse.

John

I think this will ammuse you all and lighten the day.  :lol:

We have some friends who emergrated to Squamish Canada about 50 miles north of Vancuvour, they had two dogs a Yorkshire terrior, that were origonaly bred for rat catching, called Scotty and a X Labradore. One day they were walking along the river and being greenhorn Brits, they didn't know there was  Salmon Run on, and where ther's Salmon ther's Bears. You can imagine the panic  :bugeye: when a Bear apeared out of the woods some way in front of them, they started to beat a hasty retreat, calling the dogs to heal, the Lab obeyed, but not Scotty, he made a bee line for the Bear, he was going to sort this big rat out that had crossed his path, our friends could do nothing but leave Scotty to his fate, but the Bear was either to full of Salmon our thought a 5 oz Yorky, full of agression, not worth the trouble, he jumped into the river and swam across leaving Scotty on the banking barking, who then swaggered back to his owners with a cocky ness that said that bl**dy big rat just had a narrow escape.

It just goes to show "You can take the Dog out of Yorkshire but you can't take the Yorkshire out of the Dog"

:lol:     :lol:     :lol:

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: