Author Topic: Another newbie checking in  (Read 7890 times)

Offline pabird

Another newbie checking in
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »
Hello group,
I’ve been soaking up as much as I can for a couple of months now and finally got up the courage to introduce myself. My name is Al but everyone calls me Smitty, I’m soon to be 55 yrs old. Up until about a year ago I hadn’t operated a lathe since high school.  I’ve worked for the last 33yrs in a coal fired power plant in the maintenance dept so I’ve always been close to things mechanical. Anyway about a year ago I bought a 9x20 and have been busy working the bugs out of it and making improvements. My shop is “my half” of our 2 car garage. No milling machine yet just the lathe and a tool grinder and a bunch of hand tools.
   I’m not on the same level as most here but I’m having a ball learning. I like the groups attitude, keeps me coming back. I’ll go back to “absorb” mode now and may even be able to contribute in the future. Smitty

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Another newbie checking in
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »
Hey Smitty!

I am not on the same level with people here, so never fear. I think we have a great core of people here who are willing to teach (& learn) to ask questions of. Feel free to ask questions when things pop up that you don't know... or even still, throw your suggestion or idea into the ring.

So quick question, the nick pabird... does that mean you are in Pennsylvania?

You can't go back into absorb mode just yet..

Welcome to the club!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »
Welcome, you'll not find a more helpful crew anywhere.

Brass, one thing I really like to see in the profile is a location  (Hint, hint).  Interesting to see where people are, and the diversity.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »
Welcome Smitty,

The only level here to attain is the fun level, that's it, thare are no other levels.

Hey, we all started somewhere.  Sounds like you got a good start on it anyway with a lathe and playing around. That's how you learn and by asking questions.

No dumb questions here, dumb answers maybe, but no dumb questions. :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
A big welcome Smitty,

I know a lot about machining, but naff all about coal fired power plants, so that puts us on an equal footing.

From now on you are the site expert on the subject.

Now doesn't that make you feel better already.

Just ask your questions, no matter how simple, and I am sure all the members on here will be fighting to give you an answer .

Bogs

Offline pabird

Re: Another newbie checking in (thanks)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome,

Yes Eric Pa it is, western Pa just north of Pittsburgh, (have updated my profile rleete). And i agree that the people here are very helpful, knowledgeable and patient. It is a lot of fun for me Bernd, no real deadlines, only the self imposed ones, unlike my real job. Bogs, I would be more than willing to trade what I know about power plants for what you know about machining!! :bow: Again guys, thanks for helping me break the ice.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
Hi Smitty,

Welcome aboard, I hope you find a slot here and hang around. Sounds like you should fit in nicely.

Like the others say, we are all newbies at most things. Plenty to learn every day.

Have fun.... :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Hi Smitty

welcome and Happy New year

:wave:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Another newbie checking in (thanks)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome,

Yes Eric Pa it is, western Pa just north of Pittsburgh, (have updated my profile rleete). And i agree that the people here are very helpful, knowledgeable and patient. It is a lot of fun for me Bernd, no real deadlines, only the self imposed ones, unlike my real job. Bogs, I would be more than willing to trade what I know about power plants for what you know about machining!! :bow: Again guys, thanks for helping me break the ice.

I was hoping you were a little closer. I am on the NJ/PA border by rt95. It still isn't too bad to get together for a cup of coffee sometime or a workshop day! I actually work in PA as well. In Malvern by rt 202/rt29. Lemme know, we could make it work sometime in the new year.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline pabird

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »
Sounds do-able Eric, I'd like to check out the Grizzly store in Muncy. That would be north of you? Might be all the excuse i need to drag home a bigger lathe! Or a mill! :D

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 09:04:09 PM »
I don't know you spend a couple of days sorting stuff out and all sorts of new people start joining in.... Great!!!  :)

I know I'm late to the party But.......... Hi Smitty  :thumbup:

Doesn't matter what you make, show and tell is the name of the game!

Your bound to have something odd that you can post.... Even if it's the cat with goggles on!!!  :lol:

See you around the posts.... Feel free to ask all the questions you want... I'll not be the one answering most of them...  but occasionally a good question can start all sorts of debates and ideas  :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline pabird

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
So i've noticed Ralph! Thanks for the welcome.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
Smitty,

You going to Cabin Fever this year?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline pabird

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »
Haven't given it any thought Eric. My son will be married this summer :clap: our focus has been on that.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »
Ahhh. Congratulations on your son. You should consider it... the Saturday after next, I know a lot of us will be there (from HMEM). Would be nice to put some faces to names.

Eric 
Science is fun.