Author Topic: Compliments  (Read 4631 times)

bogstandard

Compliments
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:52:27 AM »
On the welcome committee for John S, Bernd made a statement as to how I felt about someones work.

If Bogs is impressed with your work...............

I have always felt, and said it many times, and to explain it simply, if you try something, even though it doesn't turn out quite right, or isn't a great looker, at least you have tried your best.

That is all that is required in this game, millions out there won't even try it.

So no matter how meagre the results, there should always be praise, because someone is trying his/her damned hardest to make something with their hands, and what few skills and resources they have.

I am not saying that John's efforts are meagre, far from it, they are superb, but a total beginner who has just managed to drill a straight hole in the right place, should get the same amount of praise and encouragement.

Someone who has a week of experience can't be expected to turn out the same sort of results as someone who has many years under their belts, and we all need a bit of encouragement now and again. It is what pushes us to go that extra little bit.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Compliments
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »
Ah John, did I do something wrong? :zap:  :scratch:

I'm starting to think we don't understand each other even though we use, some what, the same language. I meant that as a compliment to both of you. You Bogs for teaching John. And John for doing such a great job as student. He did far better than I with over 30 years in the machining trade.

Ok, I'm going to crawl back in my cold dark hole now. :(

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
No Bernd, you haven't got the wrong end of the stick.

I was just using your text as an example. What I was trying to get over is that if you even attempt to do something, praise should be the reward, even if the end result was crap. It is the trying that matters, not the result.

Good results are just a bonus.

A few of us get more bonuses than others, but that doesn't mean we should get more praise, the newbie has most probably struggled more to achieve his goal than any of us experienced ones.

I think it is just me, I don't get the message across correctly sometimes, as I waffle on a lot.

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »
Bernd
Don't sweat John's opinion....(grin) He shares his compliments quite unselfishly. It does indeed feel good when an old timer acknowledges a hard won battle that a newbie has just waged and won. I know because his gracious encouragement got me past several tight spots too.

John...
What I think is being said here is a simple "thank you" for having not forgotten the struggles of the newly initiated.  The learning curve has been steep and the successes were often small and hard won, especially in the beginning. Without a bit of encouragement, it could have been somewhat more difficult to maintain the needed morale levels to keep going. I happen to know that you also reap some pretty strong personal rewards when you see the new guy begin to "get it". Thanks for your patience and advice.

Steve
Waffle Maven and Purveyor of Maple Syrup

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
Cedge, and bogstandard:

I agree.  My thread over on that other forum about making a successful single point thread is an example.  Link:  http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3591.msg35976#msg35976

It may not seem like a lot to more experienced guys, but being able to do something I hadn't tried before, and having some "old hands" recognize not only the effort, but also praise the results is a great motivator.  With wives and friends sometimes being ambivalent at best, having someone who shares the hobby keeping you focused is necessary.  It helps to see the wonderful finished engines, but the sometimes confusing steps to get there can be daunting to the novice.  Sharing and getting a simple 'thanks for posting' can make the difference between continuing on, and giving up in frustration.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »
Ok, coming back out of my deep dark hole. :)

I should know better than to interpid it the wrong way. When I was working I often had trainees from other countries with a large language barrier. All different nationalities, talk about not trying to insult any with some bit of light humor that could be taken wrong. I'll give you a good example, you Britts are going to like this one.

We had a "roadman" (goes to other factories to fix machines or train people) over from England that was brushing up on some of the new machines he had to demonstrate. There was a female secretery in the office for scheduling and such. He was doing some paper work with a pencil and had made a mistake, He had no eraser so he asked the secretery for a rubber not knowing what it meant in the US term. Needless to say she turn many shades of red and was quite upset at the fellow. He stood there wondering what he had said wrong until it was explained to her the a rubber is English for eraser. Talk about a language barrier.

Ok I'm getting  :offtopic: again as usual.

So you understand then that I complimented both of you? You as a good mentor and John as a fast learner.

rleete,

I must have missed that one. I'll have to say my first single point thread looked like standard, fine, metric, withworth and what have you all mixed together, plus you couldn't tell if it was left or right hand.

Very nice job by the way.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »
Right you load of slackers, no more of this b******t, get back to work. :poke: :whip: :wack: :poke: :whip: :wack:

In a couple of hours, it will be the start of a NEW YEAR

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Cedge, and bogstandard:

With wives and friends sometimes being ambivalent at best,

Ha. made me laugh,
I remember my first ever thread without using a die on the 7x12. It worked out almost perfect, better than using a die anyway. It was 6mm then I tried a 1mm pitch on a 20mm diameter bar. Again almost perfect. being my first go I was over the moon as I'd shyed away from cutting threads on the lathe for so long thinking it was too difficult for me.

I was so chuffed I ran to show her indoors.

"and, what's you going to use that for then"

"well, er nothing....that's not the point" I replied

She just didn't get it. They don't do they, bless em   :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:26:07 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)