Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Thread Gauges

(1/3) > >>

Darren:
Hi Chaps, some adive if you would be so kind.. :wave:

I need to order some thread gauges. I see there are UNF/UNC and Whitworth/Metric types.

Do you really need both or will one suffice, if so which one would be best?

PS, at present I have none.

sbwhart:
Hi Darren

Depends on what you intend to do:- if your going to repaire renovate old machinery then I'd go for Whitworth, if your going to make new bits and bobs than Metric...To be quite honest I very rarely use them when confronted with a thread I don't recognise, I just try my taps or dies on them until I get one that fits, but I'm quite lucky in having inhertited a good selection from my father and uncles.

Have Fun

Stew

:wave:

Darren:
Hi Stew,

I'm pretty ok with just looking at metric threads and recognise them right off usually. If not I too use a tap.

Whitworth I can usually use a rule and count. But with finer threads it can be difficult, esp for internal threads. Almost all of my taps are metric so they don't always help  :scratch:

Being a scrap collector  :lol: I was thinking something better was in order  :dremel:

bogstandard:
Darren,

Just to elaborate on what Stew has said.

UNF/UNC (Unified fine & course) use a 60 degree angle for the threads, and is mainly found on American products, but can sometimes be found on other countries products. Britain used it as one of it's standards for a short time.

Whitworth/BSF(British standard fine) use a 55 degree angle, and are found on all sorts of older machinery and products, from all over the world.

Both of the above work on the TPI (threads per inch) principle.

Metric works on a 60 degree angle and is measured by pitch (distance from one crest to the next), and as you know is becoming the standard from everywhere.

So if they are cheap enough, get the lot, but you will definitely require metric. You can use either one of the others for rough gauging the missing one (they don't fit correctly because of the different angles), but you can compare the pitches easily enough.

Hope this has helped.

John

Darren:
Thanks Guys, answered my question perfectly.

As they are low priced I'll go for both types and be done with it.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version