Author Topic: Segway information  (Read 10439 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Segway information
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:33:18 AM »
Has anybody got a  Segway I need some information about them for a project I would like to get involved with. any hels especialy about batteries and replacment battteries would be helpfull.

thanks

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline John Swift

Re: Segway information
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »

Hi Peter

I don't have any information  for the segway but Elektor magazine published the "Elektor Wheelie" project
in the July/August 2009 and September 2009 issues , with a update in October 2010

the dual 12v sealed lead acid  battery charger was in the september 2009 issue

www.elektor.com/projects/elektorwheelie.986808.lynkx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURJZAlaRFM

John

Offline picclock

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »
Can't offer any info on the segway but having looked at the elektor info I'm surprised they went with Lead Acid technology. May just be cos its cheap and adequate, but its heavy and slow to recharge. With a bit more design and thought, I suspect one of these could be turned into a collapsible vehicle that really could transform into a briefcase size piece of kit (ref car ad).

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline John Swift

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:59:16 AM »
Hi picclock

I expect its just because the lead acid battery is less expensive than the £700 lithium ion battery used by the segway, especially if like laptop batteries they need replacing every 2 to 3 years
(makes me think , what does it cost to replace the battery in an electric car ???)

I've no idea what a Segway costs so I don't know if the £1400 wheelie kit or £1000 ospv kit
is good value

https://www.elektor.com/projects/elektorwheelie.986808.lynkx
https://www.elektor.com/projects/elektor-ospv1.1810780.lynkx

but with combined lead acid and lithium ion battery charger projects (eg as  in Elektor july/ august 2009)
hopefully they will help Peter with his Segway project

I suppose it all depends on the money you have to spend and what you need the Segway for

just for fun the lead acid battery may be ok ,but for use in a warehouse for instance the lithium ion battery
 will make more sence

John

ps   I'd expect some one into robotics like Kenneth could point Peter in the right direction

lordedmond

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:44 AM »
don't know the name but on the box a couple of days ago I think m/c racing on euro sport some guy had a segway style wheel chair large wheels ,seat of course and low handle bars , I think it was Italian and began with p

Looks the bees knees and I for one are keeping a look out , but with a caveat  does it fall over when the batteries go flat  :(

Stuart

mobility challenged

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »
Thank you for the information what I am interested in is this 
&feature=related I am interested in if it is posable to alter one for this use there are several about that have been done,I would like to see if  lead acid batteries could be used as batteries for a segway are about £700 pounds and so lead acid may be ok as there is space for them on a wheel chair but could not be used in a wheel chair. the mod to conver is simple by the looks of thing what I realy need are some mesurments and charge information in actual use, and any problems they have encounted in the use of a standard segway.
the elector looks like something worth looking in to as it is going to be a lot cheaper.

Peter

Offline John Swift

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »

Hi Peter.

an interesting project

it looks like you must have an early warning of the battery end point, long before you end up in a heap on the floor !
battery voltage down to 10.5v  may be ???

found on the internet ,the data  for a 12v 9 Ah battery was as follows :-

20Hr @0.45A    9Ah
         5Hr @ 1.41A   7.2Ah
          1H @ 5.4 A    5.4 Ah
          1C @9A         4.5Ah

running two batteries in series  down to 21V , I guess thats 9.45w for 20 Hrs,  down to  189W for 30 mins

we just need to know the power required   1, stand still     and 2, travel 3 or 4 miles per hour

John

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
By a strange co-incidence I was looking at a Segway this afternoon  It also has dead batteries.

From where were you quoted the £700 replacements?

Bill
Bill

Offline John Swift

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »

Hi Bill,

after the first post from Peter
I just googled segway and followed the link

http://www.segway-uk.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=7

John

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »
I was just about to post the link, same as you there are some on Flea bay but I would never buy batteries of ebay again after getting some genuine nokia batteries that held there charge for about 20 min.

that is the reason I was wondering if they can be converted to wet cells

Peter

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 05:11:09 PM »
By a strange co-incidence I was looking at a Segway this afternoon  It also has dead batteries.

From where were you quoted the £700 replacements?

Bill

was it for sale and if so do you know how much ? so i can get an idea what people are asking.

Peter

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
was it for sale and if so do you know how much ? so i can get an idea what people are asking.

No, he's only just bought it (I might get the job of repairing it)
I'll ask what he paid for it.

Bill
Bill

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 12:18:14 PM »
was it for sale and if so do you know how much ? so i can get an idea what people are asking

I wasn't able to ask him directly but according to someone who should know, he paid about $2000 for it. Apparently, the owner felt somewhat ripped off, because of the batteries and broken handle bars, so I guess $2K would be about right for a working one :(

Bill
Bill

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
Bill sorry about being slow to getting  back to you, but thank you for the information, it gives me an idea what to expect

Peter