Author Topic: New spindle for a Delta/Rockwell Drill Press  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
New spindle for a Delta/Rockwell Drill Press
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
This sort of goes along with 75Plus's thread HERE since the spindles are alike.

My neighbor picked up a Delta/Rockwell drill press with a very wobbly spindle. Apperently somebody must of  :wack: with a big hammer because the spindle was running out about .050". He asked if I could make a new one. Sure why not, ain't got nothin' else to do.  :doh: So here is how I did it.

I didn't take any pictures of turing the taper on the end for the chuck. Easy to do though. I used the compound slide. I used a last word indicator to tram the old part. Once the indicator read zero for the full length of the travel I cut the taper on a new piece of cold rolled stock.

Since the bushing that has the two teeth that were pretty well worn I just used a small end mill the fit in the "V" groove of the old spindle. Next I set up the Spindex and trammed it in.

Found the center using a wiggler. Touch the back side then did the front and took half of the distance traveled to get to the center of the rod.

Next I put in the piece of cold rolled stock. Touched off the bottom of the mill and went up another .020" for the first cut. I noticed that I had a slight vibration will cutting so I used two "V" blocks stacked on top of each other and some shim stock to get a snug fit in the "V". Then I used a clamp to gently hold the part in the groove. A pain in the butt, but I didn't break the cutter. I kept increasing the depth by rasing the table .020" untill I reach a depth of .150".

I also found a clamp handy when I first started into the cut. It was swapped for the end clamp when I got close to this clamp.

Next came the hole for a spring pin. I got the distance by laying the old shaft next to the new and eye balling (eye's are calibrated to 10,000th of an inch  :lol: )

And there is the finished shaft. I'll see if it fit's tomorrow when I go see my neighbor before we go for cocktails.  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

And another bit of info. Memeber's are always asking about feeds and speeds. This cutter is an .125" dia. run at 1000rpm and 1" feed per minute. I didn't use any formula to compute this. I just picked it out of thin air.

Bernd
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:59:59 AM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: New spindle for a Delta/Rockwell Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Bernd

Nice one. Should fit like a glove. I guess that tomorrow will tell. Have a cool one for me and above all stay cool in this heat.  :wave: :wave:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:34 AM »
Very nicely done Bernd!  :clap: :clap:

You hot over there? Send us a few therms.......  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
Thanks Don. Staying in the basement today. Nice and cool. Back to the four truck Shay.  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Thanks David. Ok I'll bottle some of that heat and aend it to you.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
Great job Bernd  :ddb: Do you have the collar that is attached to the spindle with the spring pin? If so please get the dimensions for me. The collar was missing on mine. I made what I thought would have been the right size but would like to duplicate the original.

Joe

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »
Great job Bernd  :ddb: Do you have the collar that is attached to the spindle with the spring pin? If so please get the dimensions for me. The collar was missing on mine. I made what I thought would have been the right size but would like to duplicate the original.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I'll check the size. He had it all taken apart when I got involved so I'll have an answer for you tonight after I see him this afternoon.

Bernd

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
Nicely done
Good explination (especially the taper) :thumbup:
John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »

Joe

The spindle fit nicely. So he said that he'd have it back together by Monday. I'm hoping he dosen't. Why because I only got one dimension. There seem to be two collars on his. One has two ears on it and looks like it fit's into the larger bar with the bearings. The other could be the collar your talking about. Apperantly it covers the spring pin when assembled. I got the thickness but forgot to get the diameter of the part. The thickness is .350". It looks like the pin fit's inside the collar and the hole through the collar is a bit bigger than the spindle.

Is there a possibility that you can take a picture of the parts on that lower second so I can figure out what you don't have. I tried looking at the exploded views of your drill press, but they don't convey the details of the parts. Sorry, but I'll try to get the diameter next week. Can't do it the next couple of days because were going out of town for the weekend.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
Nicely done
Good explination (especially the taper) :thumbup:
John

Thanks John. Wish I had taken a couplr of pics on doing the taper. Picture would have made it a lot clearer. Next time. :palm:

Bernd