Author Topic: Flywheels..........  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
Flywheels..........
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
Hi Chaps and chapesses.

Mainly for UK readers. 

Happened to be in Tesco (other supermarkes are avalaible)  when I noticed that they were selling cast iron weight lifting weights seperately, at a very very reasonable sum. I bought a few  for the potential use as flywheels. I have no idea what the quality of the cast iron might be.................. but judging at the price they are possibly from China and might not be that wonderful, but I have not machined one yet so am only speculating.

In the USA I undersand that woolmart (asda in the UK)  sell  a weight lifting weights and  our cousins across the pond have used them with some success, as flywheels for model and small engines.

Might be of some interest to fellow  metal stranglers over here.

best wishes

If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
Re: Flywheels..........
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
Have you weighed the weights that will give you an idea of the quality?

Bry

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Flywheels..........
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »
I have used a few of these.  They are not too bad but the hole in the middle is probably bigger than you might be wanting.

One of the things I found it that it is much, much less stressful to use a cold chisel and take all the raised lettering off before putting it in the lathe.
From the den of The Artful Bodger