Author Topic: Fun with Acrylic  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Fun with Acrylic
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
I have a few pieces of shaft. About 1.75" dia. or so. I am going to try and make some interesting to look at doodads. I started out just messing around. Our Crock pot needed a new handle for the lid. So I thought I'd make me one. I was reading where you can "Fire polish" acrylic. I turned down my knob then sanded it with 220 grit paper then some 000 steel wool. Then I got out the torch :doh: It started out really good. It doesn't take much. I had it spinning in the lathe and the outside kind of flared up :zap: The surface had kind of bubbled up a little. I kind of liked the way it looked so I carefully set it on fire again so it would be more even. Here is the results.

The Miss' was pretty happy with it so I scored some points there\o/ I still need to get a bolt and mount it.

I'm trying to make a couple special cutters for my next doodad so stay tuned.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Fun with Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
Aww Wes...... I'm nearly bursting here! The innuendo involved  :lol: 

That's a very interesting looking piece you have there. I haven't toasted acrylic since I was a kid.... and that was more about the flames than anything else! :bugeye:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the doodad cutter dept  :borg: 

Ralph.

Oh I can't help it.... I'm just so damn childish!
I turned down my knob then sanded it with 220 grit paper then some 000 steel wool.
  Bloody hell! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:15 AM »
Wes, they would make some nice bottle stoppers/wine stopper tops!

Chris

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
I bet that hurt

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »
Wes,

I say this with tears in my eyes - very nice  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
I bet that hurt

Was it the turning down, the sanding, or setting it on fire?

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:21:46 AM »
 :doh: :lol: :Doh:

I'm going to try and update this tomorrow. I've had a darn man cold the last few days. Hopefully I can get out to the shop. The squirrels have some fun things they want to try out.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:36:07 AM »
:doh: :lol: :Doh:

I'm going to try and update this tomorrow. I've had a darn man cold the last few days. Hopefully I can get out to the shop. The squirrels have some fun things they want to try out.

~Wes~

Man, after what you did to your knob, you may as well give the nuts to the squirrels and be done with it. Hope the new year is easier on you.

Michael

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
I played around a little with one of the chunks I have. Sometimes reality isn't my friend..... The tool I made didn't work quite right. I think it got too hot. There are some little cracks that radiate from the bore. Pictures didn't turn out very good. The fix I came up with doesn't look quite right ether. I'll try and get a picture.

~Wes~
Wesley P