Author Topic: Where is the "modify" button?  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Chazz

Where is the "modify" button?
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »

I'm sure it's my er.....50+ year old eyes   :doh: but I  want to change a post title to add updated and see if I can correct my [img] file stuff, but I can't seem to see the 'modify' option?

TNX for the help,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: Where is the "modify" button?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Chazz,

It should be next to the "Quote" button, if not you are too late. :(  I think it gets "switched off" after a day or so.

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Chazz,

Maybe one of the Mods can help you.

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
Chazz

The "Modify" button was changed a while back so that it only lasts a short while. If you want to make some changes just make a new post or PM me and I will make the changes for you.  :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:38:51 AM »
I still really don`t see the advantage of this, it just serves to upset and annoy everyone. Surely we should be able to change any of our old posts, or delete if we wish!  Sorry, but I still get annoyed with this.

Imagine it's like you're writing for a magazine. You can change stuff before you send it (and, of course, unlike a magazine, for a little while afterwards), but once "printed" that's it, it's printed, forever amen.

The main reason for preventing edits & deletions of old posts is to try to preserve context. Some people are prone to flouncing off, deleting their posts behind them. There's rarely a sensible reason behind it, and all it does is leave a whole bunch of threads and posts which lack context, and - often - are rendered useless by the missing info.

Ultimately, boards like this are a resource for the members - I can go back to threads that are 1, 2 or more years old looking at techniques and ideas - which I can't if someone's flounced & taken the posts away...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »

The main reason for preventing edits & deletions of old posts is to try to preserve context. Some people are prone to flouncing off, deleting their posts behind them. There's rarely a sensible reason behind it, and all it does is leave a whole bunch of threads and posts which lack context, and - often - are rendered useless by the missing info.

Ultimately, boards like this are a resource for the members - I can go back to threads that are 1, 2 or more years old looking at techniques and ideas - which I can't if someone's flounced & taken the posts away...

AdeV

That exactly is the reason the change was made. Thanks for explaining it so nicely for the members.

If any of the members need a post changed they get hold of a Moderator and they will edit the post if desired.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »
I still really don`t see the advantage of this, it just serves to upset and annoy everyone. Surely we should be able to change any of our old posts, or delete if we wish!  Sorry, but I still get annoyed with this.

Imagine it's like you're writing for a magazine. You can change stuff before you send it (and, of course, unlike a magazine, for a little while afterwards), but once "printed" that's it, it's printed, forever amen.

So has craynerd removed his post from 7.54 am this morning ? if so this is a prime example why it should be only 15 min max if not you can get flaming by people making a remark about someone then removing it  befor the mods see it and all hell breaks loose,
but the main thing is what happens when someone has say 1000 posts and decided to spit his dummy out and delite all his posts, the site is then imposable to read older posts.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
If you are referring to his post that he posted this morning? One of the mod's deleted it as it. As a matter of fact  a total of 5 of his post this morning were deleted in this thread.
And as been stated so well it will to an extent keep the archives of this forum intact and the threads whole!
Plus the fact that this thread is now locked, and no more replies allowed.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen