Author Topic: Fine Example of a Tool Chest.  (Read 15269 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Fine Example of a Tool Chest.
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Ok, any Madmodder have a tool chest better than this?  :drool:  Tool Chest

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Swift

Re: Fine Example of a Tool Chest.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »

I don't have the tools ,  the tool chest or skills required to match that  :jaw:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
Being a piano maker I thought it should play a tune when opened. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice, looks like it was made with a lot of TLC :bow:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
No good to me...I would get irritated at the hassle of trying to get out the tool I want...and do you think I would put it back in the right slot? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
No good to me...I would get irritated at the hassle of trying to get out the tool I want...and do you think I would put it back in the right slot? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously. I've tried organizing tools in clever and efficient ways in the past, but it always just devolves into a pile.

The nice thing about a pile is that the tools you use most are always near the top!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
The nice thing about a pile is that the tools you use most are always near the top!

Not me. The tool I'd be looking for would be at the bottom of the pile. I won't find it until I've bought another one. Then I would loose both of them.    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd

Offline nearnexus

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »

Very nice craftsmanship.  Bit slow to use I would expect.

I hate the cantilever style tool boxes.  Can't get at anything.

The best ones IMHO are the type with the slide out drawers and an area at the top for the big stuff.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »
Really nice quality but agree would have taken him ages to retrieve and put a particular tool back.
Bet he dint buy any new tools either, they wouldnt fit :clap:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
I could see myself with a tool chest like that.  It would be hanging on the wall with the doors open and all the tools in a pile on the bench. :med:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »
A very clever/ complicated, 3D puzzle box.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:18:27 AM »
Lol, David I agree, more like a puzzle than a tool box. No way would I be able to find the right place to put it back. Imagine taking 10 tools out and trying to fit them back in again...!!

Chris

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
And what happens when you go to a show and see a new tool you don't have ?

We all have hobbies, looks like this guys hobby was building a tool chest.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »
And what happens when you go to a show and see a new tool you don't have ?

Ah, then you expand your hobby of tool chest building and build another tool chest. :lol:
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline dickda1

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
Saw a picture of this tool chest in Fine Woodworking at least 20 years ago.  People have been talking about it ever since.  I wonder if Edgar Westbury or George Thomas ever tried their hand at this.

-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
Saw a picture of this tool chest in Fine Woodworking at least 20 years ago.  People have been talking about it ever since.  I wonder if Edgar Westbury or George Thomas ever tried their hand at this.

-Dick

I've got the three books published by The Taunton Press, The Toolbox Book, The Workshop Book, & The Workbench Book.  Very nice books if you're into the brown stuff. There are some beautiful toolbox's,workshops, & workbenches in these books. I thought I had a large area for my hobby but one guy in the workshop book has 24' X 40' shop that would even make a wood hating metal worker envious. If I were as organized as these guys in these books I probably get something done once in a while instead of looking for the tool I need.  :lol:

I think I could learn a lesson or two about tool storage and organization from these books.

Bernd

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I could see myself with a tool chest like that.  It would be hanging on the wall with the doors open and all the tools in a pile on the bench. :med:

Ha Ha!!!

That made me lol!!!

I have a hand made toolbox from work, our pattern makers always make a toolbox as part of their appreniceship and after the floods in Sheffield a few years ago, they were all replaced with rubbish steel ones :loco:

An old mate asked me if I wanted his wooden one so I jumped at the chance!!, I don't have any decent pics of it though..

Dovetailed joints..

The sliding trays..

Obviously not a patch on the the special one in the link but I love mine and would never get rid of it  :thumbup:

It weighs a ton even when empty :bugeye:

John :)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 02:15:06 AM »
That's a great hobby chest!

Love the contents too......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 05:00:45 AM »
For 19 years I worked and later part owned a commercial vehicle repair shop.
We packed it in at the end of 1990 as lease hire was killing the game and the senior partner who owned the premises wanted to retire, in hind sight it was a very good move.

So I moved back into engineering first getting a job at a company that made piano actions building special purpose machines for them.

When we closed the garage down we had a month to clear up, all the capital equipment got sold off and it was down to sorting scrap and pulling racking down. One big set of dirty wooden racks got started to be smashed up to be burnt but I realised that this dirty racking was actually oak.

So I put it to one side and next day took my saw bench to work, plus a simple router table, belt sander and engraving machine like you see in cobblers for doing trophy's.

Over the next couple of days I made these tool boxes on the left.

The ones on the right I had made years earlier hence the added labels. I still have these plus a few more from other people who have died as i collect them as keepsakes.

I have 4 sets of boxes at present with 3 'on order '  :wave: I tell the people concerned up front.
"I want your toolbox when you die "  It always gets a laugh but they are willing to do this as they know it will be appreciated. I engrave a plate that says who owned it and the dates on it.

Dennis Jones was the guy who built the Jones racing bikes, I also have the toolbox of his twin brother Glynn who was development engineer at Myford's

Hopefully when i go these will them be passed on to other people who will appreciate them as well.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
That is a nice tale John
I also inherited some tools from my work mates who sadly are not hear anymore
My favorite is a 3 lb ball pain hammer every time i use it brings back memories of happy days
John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »
Yes,that's all it takes.
I was given a pair of crimping pliers by the manager at a local quarry we used to work at, nothing special but nice pliers, shortly after he died and they reminded me of him when I used them.

Unfortunately some scrote stole a toolbox out one of the trucks and I lost them, can't remember what else was in the boxes, probably a few hundred pounds worth, but all I remember were just these pliers.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Mike Cole

• Wallasey Wirral
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
A wooden and an steel toolbox were both part of my apprenticeship with Director General Ships. The steel box is now my spanner box so used most days. The larger wooden box holds some compleated parts for my model traction engine. It is nice to have stuff I made 30 years ago.

Mike

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »
Ok, any Madmodder have a tool chest better than this?  :drool:  Tool Chest

Bernd

did anybody see th qualifiying for the bikes at indianapolis and the close up of NORM.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
I made myself at tool chest and a storage cart for my small lathe and a bunch of tools. The tool chest is made from simple wooden shelving, you know the kind that is made up from strips. Some smaller and thinner bits were used for the drawers and the whole lot sanded and painted in my shop color at the end. They were displayed in my thread under the My Shop group earlier. Here is a closer look at the chest itself.

Front view, and on the inside of the lid there is a ring in which I intend to put useful charts etc.

If we look more closely into the top drawer:

we can see that there is place to just drop in tools, but also more orderly placed bits used for marking out.

If we slide the shallow marking out drawer a bit to the left we find the precision measurement things.

The drawers below contains taps and dies, reamers and broaches, pin punches etc.

...and finally the heaviwer tools like smaller V-blocks, bench anvils, files etc are stored in the larger drawers.

Not very complicated to make but provides order and makes it easy for me to find what I look for (even though several tools are on the benches at the moment). Works a treat really.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
If you stick you head into a carpet and flooring showroom in the UK [ don't know about other places ], the smaller the better you can usually scrounge or buy very cheaply packs of hardwood flooring that are damaged.

Try to get the solid flooring as against the laminated MDF crap and you are halfway to getting all the drawer material for the boxes.
The sides can be just decent ply with a small piece glued onto the front edge to preserve the looks. That's how mine are but from the angle it's hard to see the side joint.

John S.
John Stevenson