Author Topic: D1-4 Adapter  (Read 15005 times)

Offline Swarfing

D1-4 Adapter
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:41:23 PM »
Guys

As some of you may know i have a lathe with an A1-4 nose. This has caused a big headache for me and it's time for change. i made an adapter plate for my three jaw and i have lived with just that for months now. The problem is chucks with the right clearance on the scroll for the mounting bolts restricts you lots. Genuine chucks cost more than the lathe itself and out of the question. The plan is to make a new nose to fit over the old one. I should be able to follow the d1-4 standard opening myself up for more options. the point is there is little information about the workings of the d1-4 nose. is there anybody that can help with dimensions so that i can make this adapter?

thanks

Paul
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: D1-4 Adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »
Hi Paul,

This guy here has made them - whether he will give you the dimensions I don't know.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1350.msg12096#msg12096

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
Have a chat to Dave H, he might help you out.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=5649.0

Dave

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
There is the man him self, we posted at the same time. :doh:

Dave

Offline DaveH

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »

Offline DaveH

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
G,day Dave, nice to "see" you
DaveH

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
Thanks guys this is information i have read about already, the information i am looking for is sizes of the locking screws, hole sizes, whats in the mechanism etc. The d1-4 follows the pattern of the a1-4 so hole pattern is not a problem. it is Dave's thread that gave me the inspiration, the adapter i use at the moment is made of fiberglass and with protrusion already i am confident this should work out fine as lone as i stick with dedicated chucks (no further adapter plates and add pins to my existing (should be enough meat)). I do not have access to another lathe with this type of chuck. There is not a lot on the market to even purchase a replacement for the existing nose. If anybody has a better idea or suggestion i would appreciate it? i am not even sure i could replace my nose without changing the whole spindle?

cheers

Offline DaveH

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
Paul,

John Stevenson, (he is a member) may be able to help you with some dimensions.

DaveH

Offline kvom

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
John Oder on Practical machinist website provided me with a drawing for the D1-3, so perhaps he could help with the D1-4 also.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
G,day Dave, nice to "see" you
DaveH

Hi Dave, thanks.
I have seen both your adapter and your collet chuck, both here and elsewhere and don't think I have commented on it since you finished, so I will say well done here.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
It came out great.

Paul
Deer guy who is a member here has plans with measurements that he will send you, I have them if you get stuck. He only asks that you not profit from them, which is fair enough as he put the work into them.
A good friend of mine Stuart from Australian wood work forum made an adapter recently and would probably share his measurements.
In his thread below I also posted a picture of the cam lock out of the spindle. The link should take you to the picture, if not it is in post 67. There is not much to them if you get the measurements.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/rotary-table-questons-133374/index5.html#post1298483

Dave

Offline DaveH

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for your kind words.
DaveH

Offline Davo J

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for your kind words.
DaveH

They are well deserve. :beer: I cut 3 slices off a 140mm round bar a while back, that are still waiting to be turned into D1-4 adapters. I have only had the bar for 3-4 years so they are progressing. LOL
I don't really need them as I have a sub plate to bolt my chuck to the rotary table, but it will make things quicker.

I see you posted on the HSM about having trouble contacting someone here, did you get it fixed?

Paul
The receiver will need holes around 40mm deep as the pins on the chuck are around 35mm, so just check the adapter is not going to hang out to far.
With the new info/links you have above, are there any measurements are you having trouble getting? Let me know and I will chase them up for you.

Dave

Offline DaveH

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
Dave,

I see you posted on the HSM about having trouble contacting someone here, did you get it fixed?
Dave

You may have me confused with someone else, I am not a member of HSM, so never posted.

Anyway 'tis best to let them slices mature a bit before use :lol:
DaveH

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »
Guys i just PM'd Bob to see if he can help with the details, in the mean time does anybody have a pic of the locking bolts in the nose itself? i see they themselves have a locking screw that comes in from the side. Just trying to get a mental picture now. What i shall do is build two one out of bright steel bar that have already that i can use later on a rotary table then build another out of harder stuff. Just ordered some pins for starters and see where we go from there if Bob comes back to me.

Thanks

Paul

Offline DaveH

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
Paul,

Davo J reply #9

The link shows them.

DaveH

Offline Davo J

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
As Dave H said follow my link above for the picture.
Grizzly have the nose cam locks for around $5 in their lathe spare parts, it's in one of the cheaper lathe parts manuals.
I would buy them from their, but they have a $200 minimum for us over here. :doh:

Dave

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »
Guys i just PM'd Bob to see if he can help with the details, in the mean time does anybody have a pic of the locking bolts in the nose itself? i see they themselves have a locking screw that comes in from the side. Just trying to get a mental picture now. What i shall do is build two one out of bright steel bar that have already that i can use later on a rotary table then build another out of harder stuff. Just ordered some pins for starters and see where we go from there if Bob comes back to me.

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,
Sorry I am very busy with work, family and other interests and probably won't be back into my shop untill the snow and cold hit us.  I can send you the plans that I am giving out to everyone that does not take the standard OEM camlock pin. If this will help you out then let me know.  I do NOT recommend using this for any high speed use.

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »
As Dave H said follow my link above for the picture.
Grizzly have the nose cam locks for around $5 in their lathe spare parts, it's in one of the cheaper lathe parts manuals.
I would buy them from their, but they have a $200 minimum for us over here. :doh:

Dave
Dave,
Are you saying that Grizzly has the cam lock pins for the spindle for $5.00?  I know the pins for the chuck plates could be had cheap but have never seen that price for the camlock pins that go in the spindle....the last price I seen at Grizzly for these were near $30.00 each.

Offline DaveH

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »
Bob,
Nice to see you are still around. :)
DaveH

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »
Here is Grizzly's Parts list. The items in question are numbers 175 thru 178. Current pricing would be $12.25 for all four parts times the number of assemblies needed.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4002/parts/6

Joe

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
Dave that will be great if you could send them to me, my emails on the PM i sent you. The camlock pins come today which gives me a better idea of how the back plate will fit against the nose and with the sizes the guys have given (40mm) means i should only be an extra 10mm (5/8") further out which is better than i expected. i will also be able to use both bolt circles to secure the nose as well. Dave is there any reason why you feel speed should be an issue?

thanks

Offline Davo J

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
Hi Bob,
Unless I am reading it wrong, part number 178 (ECCENTRIC SHAFT) is the cam lock in the listing below.
I remember going through all the part lists for the lathes and one of them had them for $5 something.
I tried looking now but the grizzly site is going slow for me.

175  P4002175  LOCK PIN  $1.75 
176  P4002176  SPRING 6 X 4 X 22  $1.75 
177  P4002177  SCREW M8 X 16  $1.75 
178  P4002178  ECCENTRIC SHAFT  $7.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4002/parts/6

Swarfing, I think you are getting Bob and I mixed up, as it was him that mentioned speed.

Dave

Offline Davo J

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »
Hi again Bob,
I re started the computer and it's working fine now so I had another look

This is from the gun smith lathe parts list
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0709/parts/10
108  P07090108  CAM LOCK  $7.00
111  PCAP02M  CAP SCREW M6-1 X 20  $1.00 
112  P07090112  COMPRESSION SPRING  $1.75

Then you get this from the 4016 parts
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9036/parts/14
 P4016045  SPRING .6 X 4 X 16  $4.25 
 P4016046  PIN 6MM  $7.00 
 P4016047  CAMLOCK  $41.50

I cant see why the other one is so expensive, because I thought all D1-4 components where made to the same specifications.

Dave

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »
LOL! Dave sorry dreaded typo and Bob if you could send me the drawings i would appreciate it.

Thanks