Author Topic: Building a shop  (Read 71801 times)

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
Re: Building a shop
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
I did read through some information leaflets from the manufacturer and didn't find any mentions of that issue Pete, so I am hoping it's different stuff. I've also spoken to a lot of people and nobody has mentioned it. I'm not about to take it all apart and do it again (at least not without some evidence using the same wood and screws) so I'll just have to see what happens. The majority of it is 6x100 Goldscrews, and additionally the wood is going to be nice and dry so I am hoping that will prolong the life. Maybe I'll be back here in 5 years with a rebuild thread, but I'm hoping for more like 25! :thumbup:

A plus point though - if the walls do fall down, at least I won't have to do the floor again!

Offline Miner

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
ChriX,
Maybe someone who has  experience with the U.K. type pressure treated wood can add to this? With luck you'll be fine. The new types of chemicals used on our pressure treated wood is a large problem over here though.

Pete

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »
most fixings in the uk have a coating as is req to meet building regs a lot are sheradised and have been for a long time all the nails used in nail guns are and have a hot glue coating to hold them as well as rings, you should not have problems with the tanalising used in the uk.

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
A quick update to keep things moving. Unfortunately the weather is holding us up a bit now, not too much yet though, still plenty of jobs that can be done indoors.

Got some lights - £75 for all of the below, which I'm pleased with!

We have also made it to roof level so have been making rafters this weekend (2x6).

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
A quick update, it's been a while what with Christmas, but we are still cracking on.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
Glad to see the process. It is going to be a nice shop!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
Good to see things are still advancing Chris!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 04:28:05 AM »
Somehow it's been 2 months since I updated this thread, if anyone is still following I've got a few more photos to share!

Here's the front gable end above the main garage door - that bit of wood was up there for the ridge to rest on when we slotted it in, and will disappear shortly.

This area took a long time - a lot of compound angles! I haven't done anything like this before so a lot of them took a few tries to get right, but it's only a case of recutting the angle and then when it's right cut to length on the other end so no real waste.

Couple of overview shots:

This bit was another first for me, never done any stone walling before. Granted this is a very small job but still found it quite time consuming to get going. We had to build the existing wall up to meet the future roof line of the building. Before:

And after!

Same goes for along the back wall. All the space between the rafters has been filled with stonework.

With just the rafters holding the ridge the roof was quite flexible. I was hoping to get away without having to add any joists but it just wasn't anywhere near solid enough. Here's what we added:

You can see here that because the rafters are not directly above the studs we had to add something to take the end. Dad cut up some RSJ offcuts and welded up the brackets. They are a snug fit, bolted up and down and then the joist is bolted to them. The block of wood underneath is to take the weight off the bolts as well as to receive the screws for the final wall covering joint.

Cutting the mortice in the joist (one of the machines currently awaiting a new home!):

Finally, the most recent work has been on preparing for the roof. I am still unsettled as to how the roof layers should go together, may post a diagram later. In the photo below we've just put all the fascia board on.

Cheers  :beer:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 06:11:48 AM »
Still following ChriX

wish i wasn't ,,,,,,mumble ,,,,,,,mumble ,,,,,, now i have shop envy  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it looks like you will have a grand view from your shop window  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »
Looks a top class job, Chris!

Like Rob, I'm envious of both the shop you're going to have and its location.

I'll be interested to see what you use for the roof, when you get to it; you must have something pretty rigid in mind to span the gaps between your rafters.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »
Chris,

Yep I'm still following it.  :)

It does look good  :thumbup: :clap:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
Still following Chris!  :thumbup:

Rather envious of the elbow room you have available. Inside, and out!  :drool:

David D
David.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments. If you guys have shop envy I definitely have machine envy - I won't be able to afford to put anything inside it at this rate! It has been a brilliant weekend to be outside working on it.

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
That is some serious progress Chris!!!
Looking very good from this side!

Keep it up!! :headbang:

Andrew

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
Very nice Chris. That is going to be a great shop.

The surrounding area looks pretty nice too!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
Righto here is my roof plan.

As I understand it the danger with the steel roof is that it is prone to condensation. For that reason I have opted for a breathable membrane with an air gap both above and below to try to reduce this risk. As I see it the first anti-condensation method is the vapour barrier to stop the warm air getting anywhere near the insulation - let alone the other side of it. Then there is a large breathable area open to the outside via soffit vents, but I think this should be vented at the ridge too, but not sure how to achieve this. Then I have got a breathable membrane (something like Protect VP400), with battens on top, after which the steel will go on.

I don't know if I need the breathable one, but am paranoid about condensation destroying the insulation, so that's why it's there. Otherwise the steel would sit right on top of the rafters/purlins which is much easier to do!

I'd value anyone's input on the above, I am still not committed to any part of it.

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
Chris, Have you thought about using insulated roof sheets. They will solve the problem of condensation.
There was an article in Model Engineers Workshop N0 116 page 17, where the guy builds a workshop and uses composite cladding. He located a firm in Shropshire that sells affcuts and seconds http:/www.slecladding.co.uk , may be worth looking into!!!
I have a friend that has used these seconds sheets and looking from ground level you cannot tell which are new or seconds.
Its going to be a great place to be, the workshop that is.  :nrocks:  :nrocks:  :nrocks:
Just a thought Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute

Offline mattinker

Insulation
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
Hi,

I have a friend who works for a fridge truck body build. He asked me if I wanted free insulation, as they have to replace entire panels for just a small amount of damage. They have to pay to dispose of it! The most common are trucks that were too tall for a bridge! These panels are 2.5metres high and up to fifteen metres long! A sawsall with a PVC blade works well, there are some Al reinforcing, and some trucks have stainless sheeting on the inside. The side panels are 5 cm thick and the roofs are 8 cm. As these bodies go down to -18°C the insulation level is very high, I think they use special gasses in the foam. The panels are covered with white polyester on both sides, and there's no condensation problem! Now my workshop is insulated with, well nearly finished!

Regards, Matthew

Offline GypsyTinker

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
That stone work really makes it!

Great work on the shop! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:14 AM »
Hmmm......  Yer've gone a bit quiet, recently....... :scratch:

Any further progress to show us Chris?   :poke:

David D
David.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2012, 05:21:24 AM »
Hi David, yep still here and still making progress. Not had much time to get on the computer and sort the photos out recently but will get an update done soon!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
Making progress....... That's good to hear Chris!  :thumbup:

We can wait for the pics. But, not too long........  :)

David D
David.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2012, 04:54:19 AM »
Here goes then:

Starting to wrap in breathable membrane. We have been doing this in small sections rather than the whole lot at once as with only being able to work on it during dry weekends we found the weather can end up destroying things in the meantime!

Some of the external cladding in place. We have gone for vertical boards as you can see, these are 6x1 for the bottom layer directly onto the battens, spaced at roughly 2" apart. The top layer is then 4x1 which covers the spacing and allows for airflow throughout the cladding. These are fastened using 90mm galvanised nails right through the batten and into the studwork behind.

Here's the first side with the top layer applied.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
After that I got a bit distracted from the walls with the arrival of the roof! About £1600s worth in the photo below:

Which then leads on to the underlay. I got this stuff cheap on eBay but mainly because it was supposed to have a good stretch resistance so it won't sag between the rafters, so far it has lived up to it's promise.

First side done. This stuff goes on really quickly once you get going. I ordered it all to length so no cutting to do apart from the angles into the valleys.

Membrane onto the other sides

And the roof sheeting

That's about as far as we have got at the moment, the back side is still do do. The wind has been busy destroying the membrane we put on but hopefully it is OK.

Note one wall is completely missing - waiting on a window. We still have the one for which the gap was designed but unfortunately that one doesn't open so I am trying to source a better one that does. It's not holding us up yet anyway.

Chris

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Things are looking great, bet you cannot wait.  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:
Wish I was at that stage
Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute