Author Topic: Ex-Pat in Berlin  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
Ex-Pat in Berlin
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:27:45 AM »
I guess i'll take a moment to introduce myself, since I think I'll be sticking around for a while.

I'm an American Ex-Patriate living in Berlin.  In the States I was a tool maker working CNC grinders.  Over here I make stuff and take care of kids. 

I brought all of my hand tools and even a couple small electric tools with me.  I have picked up a couple of small machines.  A bench sander (Taiwanese and crappy), Drill press (Taiwanese and crappy), and a scrollsaw (fretsaw in the UK, German and awesome). 

We're moving into a new place and my shop is tripling in size.  I now have space for a lathe, milling machine, and other assorted awesomeness. 

I don't have much else to say now, but I do have some pictures to put up. 

Question to the moderators:  There is a gallery and there are specialized sections on the boards.  If I have a project with pictures, should i just post in one of these or should I post in the gallery and the specific section?
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Ex-Pat in Berlin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:44:07 AM »
Hi Russel. Welcome to the nut house...........Ah Madmodder.  :clap:

If you have an onging project with how you did it then putting it in the "Project" section would be proper. If you have something that is already built up and you have pictures put it in the "Gallery". If one of the mods thinks it should be else where then it can be moved and you'll be notifyed when it happens and why.

Hope this has helped.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:46 AM »
Hi there Russell  :wave: welcome to the site.

Don't stress yourself too much about posting in the best section, just post up in whatever section that seems to be right, if it needs to be moved then one of the mods can move it :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Russell Nash

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've been a mod before, so I just didn't want to step on any toes or be a pain in the ass. 
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
Hiya Russell  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Don't worry about being a pain in the ass... despite what others may say about me on other websites, we aren't that bad  :headbang:

On going project... project logs.
Gallery... stuff you did (without a project log)
Other sections... questions, talk etc

that Help?

Sounds like you have a good back ground. Would be interested in hearing more.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline allanchrister

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Hi Russell,

Welcome to Berlin.  I live there too, when I'm at home.  Currently I'm working in Indonesia but coming back for Xmas, as my German wife is temporarily located back to her head office at the Foreign Office.  Where do you live?  We live in the SW, in Wilmersdorf..perhaps we're close. I have my lathe and mill set up in a small room in our apartment....

Cheers for now,

Allan

Offline Russell Nash

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »
Hey Allan,

I've been moving steadily away from you.  I started in Tempelhof, moved to Lichtefelde Ost, and we are now in the middle of a move to Kleinmachnow.  I should be well into setting up my new workroom* by xmas.

*I just can't call it a shop.  I used to work second shift running up to 5 CNC Grinders alone.  After that, I can't call my tiny collection of machines and decent sized collection of hand tools a shop.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro