Author Topic: Chester 626 mill CNC Conversion  (Read 269499 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Chester 626 mill CNC Conversion
« Reply #600 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
Rob, you might consider doing stuff looking... well worse.. you will end up be the reason everyon here takes up knitting instead.. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #601 on: April 14, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
:DHI    Rob
Arbor is very beautiful !What material you use?  Need to do a heat treatment this?   thank you

Hi There ,,,,,,,,,too tell the truth I have no idea what grade of steel I used , Just some tough old steel I had lying around . No ,I will just leave them in the condition there in , for what I will be using them for they will be fine  :med:

Rob, you might consider doing stuff looking... well worse.. you will end up be the reason everyon here takes up knitting instead.. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: knitting !

Cheers Rob

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #602 on: April 14, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
I'm beginning to think Rob has a fly cutter fetish! 

Interesting looking collection of scrapers there.  The yellow one looks like one you would take with you for a night on the town in NCL.  I'm guessing that is for getting into dovetails and other tight spaces?  I too would like to see some of the home made ones.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #603 on: April 15, 2013, 05:24:25 AM »

Any chance of a photo of your shop made scrapers  :poke:

Rob

Sure - here they are. Obviously not as posh-looking as your stuff as I only have a cheap camera without all the special effects yours has got  :D

The one with the short tip and new handle I made by silver soldering a carbide slip gauge to a steel shank. The others I made after buying a bunch of different-shaped tips off eBay. The sqauare one i made for scraping rust off ways etc but at the moment it's doing serious duty stripping 70 years of paint of my Monarch lathe. The rounded one is a bit too small a radius for scraping but that also makes a great paint scraper for internal curves.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #604 on: April 16, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
Hi there, Rob,

I was looking at your photo of the cast iron slab being fly-cut and noticed the clamps holding the slab down to the table.

They look very much like the gizmos I've seen listed for sale on eBay and described as face-plate jaws (no names - no pack-drill!).

Thing is, the 'buy-it-now' price for those face-plate jaws seems awfully expensive!   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:

Do they have some hidden mechanism that's not visible in the seller's photos or are they hyper-strong or what?
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #605 on: April 16, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
Hi Pete ,,,,,,,,  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: those scrappers look very pro  :dremel:  dont forget to show us the results of your scrapping  :D

Hi there, Rob,

I was looking at your photo of the cast iron slab being fly-cut and noticed the clamps holding the slab down to the table.

They look very much like the gizmos I've seen listed for sale on eBay and described as face-plate jaws (no names - no pack-drill!).

Thing is, the 'buy-it-now' price for those face-plate jaws seems awfully expensive!   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:

Do they have some hidden mechanism that's not visible in the seller's photos or are they hyper-strong or what?

Hi Pete ,,,, Face plate jaws are normally sold in a set of four , with each jaw having its own adjustment, just like a four jaw chuck ,  , making a set for my CUB lathe is on my too do list  :dremel: . The ones I am using on the mill have one fixed jaw and one moving jaw , basically your mill table becomes one big vice .

The sets you looked at on Ebay were probably a VERY LARGE set .

Rob

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #606 on: April 16, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
Hi there, Rob,

Thank you for your explanation.

The jaws I saw on eBay were described as 8 inch and another as 6 inch - I thought that referred to the size of the faceplate but I guess it really refers to the size of the jaw!!!   :bugeye:   :bugeye:   :bugeye:   :bugeye:   :bugeye:   :bugeye:
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #607 on: April 19, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
Evening Lads

Came home today from work to fined a parcel sitting there for me  :)  Pete had very kindly made me two of his carbide scrapers .

Being the impatient git that I am I was straight into the shop to try them out ,they still need handles making .  :palm:

Result , they are far far superior to the HSS ones I have been using , they cut like a dream   :med:

Pete had lapped a 5 deg neg rake , my crappy camera skills dont do justice to the edge ,but  I can say is its a  lot better than my scraper sharpening .

One of the two has a thinner blade , just the job for getting into dovetails .

Thanks again Pete ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I really owe you one  :beer:

Rob

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #608 on: April 19, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
Rob,

Considering that the chinese probably melted down a DS&G, or a Weiler, etc for the iron to make that 626, I would only be fair if you took that saddle to your furnace, and cast a Wok :)

Your work is inspirational for us. Maybe the quality manager of the Chester 626 plant (someone had to sign the certificate right?) should be sent a link to this thread!

Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #609 on: April 19, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Mark  :thumbup: ,,,,,,,,,but i dont think there is a quality control manager , due to there is no actual quality to control  :scratch:

Pete's lap http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/56483-Adventures-in-scraping?p=839772#post839772   :smart:

Rob

Offline haoxiaoquan

« Reply #610 on: April 20, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
No one would have the craft in China,Chinese words to say "Fly scraping“ :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #611 on: April 20, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
Evening Lads

Came home today from work to fined a parcel sitting there for me  :)  Pete had very kindly made me two of his carbide scrapers .

Thanks again Pete ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I really owe you one  :beer:

Rob

Nooo problemo!

I would have cut file tangs on them but I was worried they might come out of the packaging in the post.

I hope the tips stay put - I had no idea it would be so hard silver soldering them on with butane gas. Had to cheat a bit to get enough heat from the canister but I won't say how coz it wasn't exactly a right and proper thing to do :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:17:49 AM by Pete. »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #612 on: April 21, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
Hi Pete , the tips look well fixed  :thumbup: I have bummed some mahogany from Mick to make handles  :med:

Hi Lads , I managed to finish off the arbors today , spent most of the weekend sorting out my shops and its still not done  :Doh:

All done . 

cutters the wrong  way round  :lol: :lol:

The arbors will hold up to a 1/2" wide  cutter .

Now back on with the mill  :dremel:

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #613 on: April 21, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
Very nice Mate
Clever how your camera can do matt and shinney on one setting
John

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #614 on: April 21, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
A flycutter is also on my list of tools to do, but I have not found a figure for the angle of the face/toolbit. It looks like more than 10 degrees but not so much as 20.

Rob, what angle did you choose for the smaller one just above?

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #615 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
Very nice Mate
Clever how your camera can do matt and shinney on one setting
John

He's got Photoshop off to a fine art.
John Stevenson

Offline krv3000

« Reply #616 on: April 21, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
no i have seen the big buff that he polishish them with ooo well thers still room in my workshop rob just lod the van up and drop it off well dun on them tools  :headbang:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #617 on: April 22, 2013, 02:38:23 AM »
 :bow:Rob, you've probably said this before but how do you mask parts of a component when plating?

Offline micktoon

« Reply #618 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:16 AM »
Top job Rob  :drool: :drool:, ...........one of the best jobs in the world would be quality control manager in your shop...............just sit drinking tea ( at home ) knowing there is no point even going into work , never mind looking at anything as you know everything is under control.......................the only quality being ..................Top Quality :lol:

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Mick

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #619 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »
Nice work Rob.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #620 on: April 22, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
Uhm, so you boys ever considered knitting.. it seems like a fairly acomplishble hobby.. 

Rob.. you must do a surface finishing tutorial.. now.. *point towards whatever forum section*
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #621 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
Cheers Lads  :beer:

A flycutter is also on my list of tools to do, but I have not found a figure for the angle of the face/toolbit. It looks like more than 10 degrees but not so much as 20.

Rob, what angle did you choose for the smaller one just above?

BR

/Peter

Hi Peter ,  I went for 20 degrees  :thumbup:

:bow:Rob, you've probably said this before but how do you mask parts of a component when plating?

Hi Nick ,,,,,,,, I used good old PVC tape  to mask these parts ,there are allot of other ways to mask parts for plating .

Cheers Rob

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #622 on: April 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
Thanks a lot Rob!  :thumbup:

Your nicely made tools are a real inspiration, and they do create tool envy  :bow:

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #623 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
Wow, Rob, what kind of plating is that?

Neotech, I'm with you, it would be great to learn how to achieve better finishes on what we make. I certainly could use help with that.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #624 on: May 19, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
Thanks Peter and Steve  :beer:

Steve the plating is my home brewed Nickle plate , just something I am messing with  :zap:

Well I managed to straighten up the Y way bearing surface  on the knee.

Now both surfaces are on the same plain , no bend , flat and square both ways with the Z . And the compound now has no rock to it .  :)

Just need to fit the dovetail and make some tapered gibs  :dremel:

Rob

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:22:41 PM by RobWilson »