Author Topic: Headstock Handwheel.  (Read 10619 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Headstock Handwheel.
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:31 AM »
EVERY time I tapped a thread in the lathe, I remembered I intended to fit a handwheel, rather than rotating the chuck by hand....

But, cold metal handwheels in this recent weather do not go well with arthritic fingers.  ::)

I found a nice plastic & rubber, buggy / pushchair wheel in a local DIY.

Couldn`t machine the 1" steel expander plug, because the coolant was frozen!
I used delrin plastic instead.

At temps of -2 to + 3 it was too cold to work for more than 20mins or so at a time.
This was the outcome after 3 days, and 7 sessions.....

6mm roofing bolt with shallow head. Nothing should catch & get wound in, if I forget it`s in place & start up....

Action photo....

I realised afterwards, nothing is metal to metal solid drive. The delrin grips adequately, but will  slip under excess torque.

I`m a bit pleased.....  :D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

Re: Headstock Handwheel.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
David,

If I can make a suggestion. Go to Wilko's and get one of their oil filled 7 fin radiators. Last time I looked £23.

Pop it in the shop near to where you work most (mine is by the lathe), set the thermostat just below mid way. Freezing cold morning outside, about 9 deg C just inside the door. Warm as toast by the machines. Costs only pennies an hour to run. I will leave it on all the time until the cold weather passes.

Nice machine mod by the way, but a bit lost on me, I do everything under power down to about 2mm. I would need hell of a handle, and very long arms to turn mine over and reach the tap wrench as well. But an ideal solution for the smaller lathe.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
Very ingenious there David.

Were ever that pic was taken it must be warm or are those plants in the background fake?  :D I just had to ask. You can ignore me if you want but I won't go away.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »

Well, I hope you guys like pics.......

Bogs,
The workshop is at one end of a 2 car concrete & asbestos garage. I will tidy up, one day, maybe.....

I`ve found, over the years, it`s almost impossible to heat

Bernt,
How could I ignore you?

All 3 pics were taken around 11am today, at a balmy temp of 3dgrs..
The component pic was taken in the extra light of my winter storage facility / steamshed, (known as the greenhouse during the summer)....
The evergreen shrub is behind the trellis fence.....

These 2 pics were taken 2 days ago at the same time of day.....

Here`s a vid of me muttering, taken last winter, when in steamshed mode...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVdvJa_A3g

I guess that`s enough for now......

David.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
David, where's your chair/stool?

Can't live without somewhere to park me bum !!!

Thanks for sharing the pic's btw... :D
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
David, mine started off almost the same as yours, but insulated plasterboard soon sorted it.

It has changed a little since then

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
During the renovations of my house, room by room we are insulating.

One room, my audio room about 25m2 in the basement has been insulated wall and ceiling with 50mm thick Cleotex boards and then plasterboard, (two layers of soundblock)

It's a granite stone house so no cavities. Originally the room was almost unheatable and equally unbearable in the depth of winter.
Now it's great, only need the lights on and a couple of people and it heats up quite quickly. Add a small heater and it's real cossy.

The insulation is not exactly cheap, but in the long term it pays off with the added bonus of not having to be cold anymore.

We have another largish room upstairs which has been "dot and dabbed" (ordinary plasterboard stuck on the stone walls with blobs of adhesive) This leaves a sort of cavity about 10mm from the outside wall. Not a huge insulation value, but the difference is really noticeable compared to the other rooms.

Darren
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »
David

Very interested in your handwheel - looks like a useful mod. Just one thing I am not too clear on. Does the drawbar you have made compress the delrin to form a grip in the tailstock bore ?

JohnS
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
I thought that wheel was huge at first... Then I saw your hand on it  :lol:

Looks like it will do the job quite nicely David  :thumbup:

Your garage isn't that far out of the norm for most Brit' workshops (shops for the colonies :) ) It would certainly benefit from a few things... insulation is the main one, specially the holes left by the corigated roof sheets..expandable foam for them and the hard insulation sheets with reflective backing sort the roof out a treat, you can glue them on. The side walls can be done in the same and covered in ply wood or plaster board... again cost always comes into it.... Either that or befriend a builder!!  :)

You could put another set of doors in half way down instead of the curtains too... I can certainly tell you how much new ones should cost... but a false wall with a hand made door is nearly as easy and would certainly cost less. It wouldn't half make a difference!

Just a thought :)

My shop is block built onto the back of the garage... but it was knocked through into the garage a long time ago and hasn't been re-sealed up... so is unheatable too as the garage door is not insulated! ... Plans  are afoot to seal the offending hole in the wall with a board of ply' them a heater will be draughted in  :thumbup:
 (was that a pun?!)

John... Found a pic' from the archives ehh!? that brings back memories! you can really see the difference between then and now  :D

Just thought I'd chime in  :D

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »
Yes Ralph.

In fact the old shop fitted me like a pair of well worn slippers, the new one feels like wooden clogs at the moment. Give it another year to mellow down, and I think it will get there.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »
Great pics David. I really liked that steam engine running on steam. Nice.  :thumbup:

I'm still amazed with those small workshops you have over there. I know I'm going to get a  :wack: from Bogs for even mentioning size. See, my workshop is 2300 square foot basement. Just go to my website and take a browse around in the Station section. You'll find that in the Misc. area.

I'll now be quite again about the size of my shop.  :D

Bernd

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
Hmmm......
Thanks for all your replies. I really need insulation.  ::)

The shower curtains are to shield the workshop area from prying eyes, while the garage doors are opened.

JohnS,
The drawbar & tapered nut expand the plug, gripping the bore.
The plug now has 4 sawcuts..... The delrin was much more rigid than I expected, at design stage.....

David.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »
Very nice tool!

I was tapping something the other day and MAN that sucked doing it by hand. I think that wheel is a great Idea.

I think I may have to make the same thing.. but I might just go a bit bigger on the wheel. :D

And my garage has such incredibly poor use of space.. Omg. You guys are gonna get my off my ass, and start correcting the space arrangement of the clutter.

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
Right then Scott..... Pictures of your messy shop in the Shop section and we will see what we can do!!  :D

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
HA HA HA HA
OK Im going out after I finish eating..

Pics in a hour or so.

LOL
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »
HA HA HA HA
OK Im going out after I finish eating..

Pics in a hour or so.

LOL

Well it's almost 11:00PM and no pictures. You posted at 8:06PM. That's more than a couple of hours.  :poke:  :poke:  :poke:  :lol:

Bernd

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
Wellll. Its Monday and Im at work (I work Mon-Wed, 1:30PM till 3AM)

I ended up taking pics after dinner, and then getting wrapped up in things, and never made it back to my computer. :(

If I get a chance after work I will try to re-size the pics and get em uploaded. Not asure if I will have a chance.

I also got a call, and a friend wants me to work as car chief for a race team this weekend.. Thursday AM through Saturday night. I cant find the specific sanctioning body though. But it is supposed to be an event at Sebring. In any case.. be it Pro Miata Cup races, or Porsche GT3 Cup.. Im good to go with either. Can do an "at the track" clutch change in either in a hour or so. Granted.. its gonna make for a long weekend. But hey... when they call I get paid to play with other people's cars. Not as fun as when I get called to DRIVE the cars. But that doesnt pay. Working on them does :)

I will see about getting the pics up tonight after work... Mid AM for the across the pond crew. :P

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
You must be going some where warm then?

Have fun. I can wait for the pictures. Fun is more inportant.  :headbang:

Bernd

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
He said the event is at Sebring.
Couple enduros.. Like.. One is Thursday night for 6 hours.. and one is Saturday afternoon??

Ya know I think he gave me the wrong weekend.
Im going to have to call him tomorrow afternoon.
SPiN Racing