Author Topic: tool makers chest or cabnet  (Read 13195 times)

Offline krv3000

tool makers chest or cabnet
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
HI dus any one have plans to mack a tool makers cabnet

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
Re: tool makers chest or cabnet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
Hi,

A while ago (some years now) I picked up a PDF-file with specs and drawings of a toolmakers chest. I could not immediately find on the web, but google for "WPWinter_Freeplan_prf5.qxp" you might get a hit.

Otherwise this link to Plans Now http://www.plansnow.com/index.html will perhaps be useful. There are a huge amount of woodworking drawings, and some quite useful even for metalworking.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:48:18 AM »
Those plans are plentiful on the varius woodworking sites. Just google them up.

Many Years ago I took a look at several and went home and designed my own and built it out of wood. I love it and have never seen another one like it. I would suggest you do the same. You know what you want, just do it.

It would be easier today, you can see tons of pictures of them on the internet now, I had to drive and walk.

Good luck and God Bless
Pappy Frank

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:50:21 AM »
HI all thanks for the help

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »
It seems like there were plans in one of The Machinist Bedside Reader's.

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline wildman692

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
so how did you get on did you build one?

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
HI no not yet I'm slowly gathering the wood i need to mack one hard wood in the UK is rather expensive will let you all no when i start   o i need to be careful of what wood to use as sum hard woods will rust steel

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »
I guess I am somewhat confused as to the difference between a tool maker's chest and a regular machinist's chest.  The main thing is to plan out the tools you want to store in any chest and provide fitted, convenient, and safe storage for them.  Right?

I have five roll-away cabinet sets.  One is a stack of (1960's vintage) Kennedy roll-away, base chest, and tool chest.  One is a modified wooden (Gerstner and another brand) roll-away, stand-off, and tool chest stack (the "stand-off" allows me to store a small surface plate on the roll-away base).  Two are just "shelves on wheels" that allow me to store portable/hand power tools, but are set to height such that I can mount a workbench top on them when I need an extra bench.  And the last is a homemade wooden roll-away with a couple of full-width drawers over a set of shelves -- with shelving attached to the three "open" sides for storing screws, nuts, washers, dowel pins, and the like.

In my Kennedy roll-away, I have one of the (1-1/2 inch tall) full-width drawers dedicated to files.  I made dividers out of 3/32'nds inch thick model maker's plywood (what used to be used for R/C aircraft modeling) to separate the files.  This is lined with felt that regularly gets sprayed with mineral oil.  This was the hardest drawer to develop.  The other (1-1/2 inch tall) full-width drawer is similarly divided for scrapers and gravers.  Unfortunately, both these drawers have been overrun and I have several "trays" that live elsewhere.

The third (1-1/2 inch tall) full-width drawer is dedicated to scales, squares, protractors, and other general measuring tools.  One of the (1-1/2 inch tall) half-width drawers has been fitted to store (0-1, 1-2, 3-4, & 4-5 inch) micrometers, calipers, and the like.  The other half-width drawer started out as a screwdriver store, but has evolved to storage for (1/4 inch hex) bits and the like.

I honestly could not tell you how many different "customizations" I have performed for tool chest drawers over the years.  All the planning in the world ultimately fails (Merrick's First Law is: Stuff always grows to exceed space available!).  My current philosophy is to provide cases for any important tools and store them (generally) on cabinets near their most-used station.  I.E. I have a "bench" that lives near my mill.  It has (among other things): (1) A rack for (R8) collets, tool holders, and mounted tools (boring bar, tapping head, etc.).  It also has a test indicator and "indicol" that hangs in a niche to the side (as well as providing space for my t-slot cleaner).  There are shelves on this bench for my 6-inch vise, 4-inch vise, (boxed) tilting table, and (boxed) rotary table.  Etc.

Now, what of these are tool maker's chests?

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:24:07 AM »
HI yep I have that type of tool chest to and a larger one for big stuff i will post sum pics of  my other storage the reason to mack one of thees tool chest is for Small stuff to go in that i yous all the time and to sit on me work bench it will be 12" by 8" by 12" with 4 drawers any way  i got this tool chest from a boot sale for a £5 sum pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »
HI as promist sum pics of my storage cabnets and things