Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Er 32 or ER25

(1/3) > >>

Baldrocker:
Hi Guys.
Need some advice from the ML7 devotees.
What would suit a Myford ML7 best. Metric ER32 collets
and chuck with 2MT tail or ER25 collets with same
chuck. Some ER32 collets on Ebay are stamped with
metric sizes and imperial equivalants (or Vice Versa)
would ER25 metric take imperial eqiuvalnts
Thanks Fellas

bogstandard:
Unlike normal types, say 5C collets, ER collets are a 'one size fits all' because of the compression range of each collet. Each one has a full compression range from one collet to the next, so are able to accomodate both metric and imperial. A metric set will have a metric hole size for a start (say 16mm), the imperial set (never seen one in the UK) will have the same sort of thing, but both standards will accomodate each other.

I personally would go for the largest size that will fit your machine. In your case I would suggest ER32.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/CHRISTMAS_SPECIAL_S.html

The 10 pounds difference between these two is a no brainer really, the 32 set will hold much larger pieces.

John

Baldrocker:
Thank you John
BR

bogstandard:
BR,

I should have asked why you wanted to go for the MT fitting. For tailstock or headstock fitting.

The reason being, if you were fitting to the headstock, if fitted to an MT taper, I suspect you would be limited by the length of material you could hold, whereas with the set I showed, the material would have unlimited access to the spindle hole. Also if you went for one of those two, you can just buy the collet holder for fitting the tailstock as well.

Maybe a bit too much info, but it is there if you need it.

John

Baldrocker:
Never too much info John your input is valued and may stop me making a decision I regret later on.
My reasons are sad to say purely $$$$$,over AU$300 for the Myford thread v $180 for 2MT.
I have to say I like your reasoning. Would there be any advantage gripping wise between the two?
Regards
Paul aka BR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version