Author Topic: Unplanned down time  (Read 19748 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Unplanned down time
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
I've been unable to connect at all for the last 20 hours or so; it's only just come back from the cybervoid. Seems to me that the current server likes to take Sunday and part of Monday off -most of these downtimes seem to occur late in the weekend.

Andy

Ha! Seems like they do.

I will post the ticket a little later... I am pissed. In the process of obtaining a new server now!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
It does crack me up. The support tries to talk to me like I am an idiot... Little do they know, this is what I do for a job. I am a virtual infrastructure architect. To hear them back peddling over stuff that they tell me when I call them out on it!
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
So this is what happens... the server starts to act funny and not respond. I go in and try restarting some services. If that doesn't work, a reboot is in order. Reboots on virtual servers should be quick. For some reason (I know what the reason is) they take forever here. I couldn't get the server to respond or reboot. So I opened a ticket with support. The server rebooted (took an hour) but the site still wouldn't come up. I call again. This is what I get for a response:

Dear Eric,

Greetings!

We have an issue with NetAPP storage cluster of our Hyper-V VPS node. We have contract with NetApp and now the NetApp techs are working delinquently on it with our performance techs. We hope that they can fix the issue very soon. We have also opened a severity 1 case with Microsoft. And we are trying to communicate with our higher level administrator regarding this, will update you once we get the necessary details/information from them. We are sorry for all the inconveniences caused to you.

So we don't recommend a reboot at this time. We are committed to provide you excellent services. This incident had been unfortunate for both of us, and we will take every corrective action to ensure that our customers are never affected badly, and are given the "Best care" and service."

We appreciate your understanding on this, and would request your co-operation until the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Anyone notice the spelling mistake? Well not really spelling but the misuse of a word??
Science is fun.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
 :lol: I guess it was meant to be diligently but delinquently seems much more appropriate to the circumstances!

You must be running short of hair to tear out, Eric. Thanks for your perseverance.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »
:lol: I guess it was meant to be diligently but delinquently seems much more appropriate to the circumstances!

You must be running short of hair to tear out, Eric. Thanks for your perseverance.

Andy

Yup. No haircut this month!

On the phone with the new hosting service right now.
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
Well... I got a new server. We are moving from Windows to Linux  :borg: . So sometime this week, we will make the move. I need to do some playing and testing first. I will keep everyone up to date.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
Good luck with the move Eric! I'm sure you'll find that smf + mysql + linux = super-stable.        :zap:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Good luck with the move Eric! I'm sure you'll find that smf + mysql + linux = super-stable.        :zap:

I hope so.

Science is fun.