Author Topic: New to all this  (Read 3876 times)

Offline -steves-

New to all this
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »
Hello to all.

No idea what I am likely to contribute to this site, and think i will probably just ask loads and loads of dumb questions along the way.

I have recently purchased a small lathe (7x14) and a small milling machine in an appempt to produce my own parts when needed but initially to start making some small steam engines from castings, hopefully leading on to doing scratch builds at some point.

I have started reading a number of books and am finding this a very steep initial learning curve. I have joined the site after being told about it by someone on the Mamod forum and they thought it may be very useful to me, it certainly looks like it will be an extremly useful source of information.

At the moment I still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs, I will keep you all uupdated if this changes in the future  :bang:
very new to all this....

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: New to all this
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:59:25 AM »
Steves, :wave:

Hello and welcome to Madmodders.

Just join in the fun :D

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:04:23 AM »
Hello Steves and welcome.  :wave:
Remember there are no such thing as dumb questions but maybe dumb answer  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:53:37 AM by saw »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
Hi Steve.
Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

You've come to the right place. There's nowt on here, that somebody doesn't know something about.....  :smart:

As they say, the only dumb question, is the one you don't ask.  :D

Ask away. Enjoy your machining. Keep on counting your digits. Show us what you're doing, and you will be encouraged........  :thumbup:

Enjoy!

David Drillin

P.S.
What machines do you have? Any pics to show?
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline -steves-

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:37:29 AM »
Hi Steve.
Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

You've come to the right place. There's nowt on here, that somebody doesn't know something about.....  :smart:

As they say, the only dumb question, is the one you don't ask.  :D

Ask away. Enjoy your machining. Keep on counting your digits. Show us what you're doing, and you will be encouraged........  :thumbup:

Enjoy!

David Drillin

P.S.
What machines do you have? Any pics to show?

Thanks Dave, as you said, this seems to be a site that I can't afford to miss.

I will no doubt ask questions that have been asked many times before, that everyone thinks, surely he should know that bit before doing x and y, how has he managed to stay in one pieice, but what may seem obvious and logical to some, may be enlightenment to me  :D

I will post up some of the work that I initially take on as test bits, just to get some pointers and advice. I think my first job will be the first project in the "Lathework: A Complete Course (Workshop Practice)", which is some little device that i have no idea what its really for or if it will be of any use to me, but the book seems fairly clear so i will follow what it says. Hoping to start that this weekend if all goes well. just need to get some micrometers from somewhere now, lol.

If anyone wants to know how to fly a radio controlled aeroplane or how to put one together, or computers I can probably help, but when it comes to metal work machinery, I am totally at a loss, lol. :)
very new to all this....

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
Hi Steves :wave: welcome to madmodders :mmr:

As the others have said, there are no dumb questions here, so feel free to ask whatever intrigues you, someone here will be able to answer or at least point you in the right direction :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME