Author Topic: Metal spinning, supplies and DVD's  (Read 7873 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Metal spinning, supplies and DVD's
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
The latest PennState industries (wood turning catalog)
metal spinning Pennstate industries
They have added metal spinning supplies to their catalog.

They currently have Aluminum 5 ½"dia to 10" dia .040" thick in packs of 10 and 5
Brass Disc's 3 ¾" to 7 ¾"dia .040" in packs of 3,6,9

Along with maple hardwood blanks for mandrels and follower blocks 4"x4"x2"to 8"x8"x2" and a 12"x12"x1" blocks along with other forms for raising metal work it you can't locate them locally.
They currently have a free instructional DVD.
Metal spinning DVD update, received it in the replacement order this morning. First thing is it is a quicktime DVD useable only on the computer, not a regular training type DVD.
The good news is it is well done 20 minute overview of the tools and simple metal spinning. Tynan does a great job as he does in his regular DVD on the subject.

Anybody with a lathe, wood or metal with a couple of things can start spinning.

Making up a tool rest shouldn't be to much of a problem nor the spinning tools.

The lube is a tallow mix, but the use of the wax/tallow cutting stick lube can be used.

The handles must be long enough to come out behind your back.

The spinning tool is cold rolled steel ground and polished, the beader tool wheel has the same profile as the sliding door track guides they sold at the box home store and could be made up. The cut off/trim tool is a small tool bit in a holder.

The lube dolly is mattress ticking or cut off jean leg rolled up to apply.

The lube is a wax tallow mix or you can use the cut all lube stick wax sold for bandsaws and hacksaws.

The backing tool well as he says a 1x2 x12" hardwood stick with a 45 ° bevel on one side.

Mandrels can be made up of glued up blocks, as can the follow blocks.

The only other items are a drill and tap to fit the size thread on the spindle along with a large washer to fit over the spindle so the mandrel can fit snug up against the washer and run true. If you try it with out the washer the mandrel can lock up against the shoulder on the spindle. It is a real PIA to get off.

And if you want further info check out Terry Tynan other videos rented on smart flix

Disclaimer I have been a long time customer of pennstate industries, though this may be of interest to some on this forum.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Metal spinning, supplies and DVD's
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
So, have you been doing any Spinning? I still haven't finished up my stuff. I'm about ready though. I have a couple parts I want to try this winter. Thanks for the info.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Metal spinning, supplies and DVD's
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
I haven't did any spinning in 30 years and then it was only a couple of aluminum dishes that ended up as ash trays back in the day. :doh:
Just collecting info and stuff for the basement projects winter season!  :clap: But I did rent the dvd's from Terry Tynan from smart flix and they are great. I have come to the conclusion  that I will be able to use the actel and derlin plastic blocks as followers from the vid's and the old E books, the big question that I had was what kind of device do you stick in the tail stock. I now see that it is a block that is slightly smaller than the bottom of the spinning mandrel. And has a center drilled hole in the other end, I plan on using the large dia center drill I have close to ½" and a live 60°center to keep the disk in the proper position.

And the tools used are nothing more than CRS ¾"dia shaped working end and the polished. The two most important things are the handles should be about 2" dia and long enough to come out past your back between your side and arm. With the hand grip area near were the tool end goes in a slightly smaller dia for a easy and comfortable grip, for long time use at the lathe. With a good heavy duty ferrule to prevent splitting of the handle wood. The large dia of the tooling is due to the amount of pressure that your body will  apply during the spinning. Since it is done with the body and not the arm hands like wood turning.

When you get the dvd  he explains the assorted profiles on the tip different sized radius of the edges are used for different turning tasks, basically you have 6 turning tools in one.
The trim tool is just a sharpened tool bit with rake/clearance on the front edge, and both side edges so it can be used disk edge,front and back disk edge a 3 in 1 tool. Another ¾"shaft with a hole drilled in the end of the shaft so the tool bit slides in. And it is secured with a set srcew.
The bead roller Is just a roller with a profile cut into it, width of the roller will dictate the size of the bead. Nothing more than, a ¾" shaft with the slot and pin for the roller to spin on.

As he says in his DVD sets most spinners make their own tools the cold rolled will do aluminum, copper, brass and pewter.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen