Author Topic: old lamps to be re-newed!  (Read 17271 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
old lamps to be re-newed!
« on: January 10, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
So, I was doing a foreigner for an old guy (for those who don't know that's a job performed by a tallented operative and swapped for expensive paper in your own time.... I think that's worse!!? Well it was fitting UPVC facia's up on his garage  :thumbup:

He asked me if I'd like the old box full of bits in his garage... Well being me... always interested in what's in the box, I said yes  :)

Well there were all manor of washing machine motors and some old 'baccy tins but there were also some quite interesting bits....

There are two of these big relay things like in one of Darrens posts, ans a really rather spectacular huge 4 coil relay thingy in a glass dome

Sorry about the crap piccy's!!

Then what I think might interest some of you.... 2 old railroad lamps.

1 signal lamp (rhs) a bit tatty and missing the green lens but still the real thing.

2 another type of lamp, probably parafin, has the wick and everything! it's a bit old and dirty (no jokes please!) but I'm sure it will scrub up?

Do any of you remember seeing these types of lamps in use or in museums etc? I've no idea what the names of them are etc... All I know is that they came from the Llangollen railroad.

I'm thinking of trying to restore the parafin lamp.... never attempted before, but worth a go I think!

All comments etc welcome :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: old lamps to be re-newed!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
Wow! I really like those lamps...

Start a new project thread for restoration on BOTH lamps... :dremel:

Resistance is futile... :borg:

doing a foreigner... sometimes called, 'on the side' or 'under the table' here. Clean your mind!   :wack: :lol: :lol:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »
My mind is heavily cleansed  :med: I am at one with the collective  :borg:     :lol:

BOTH!!!???  The signal lamp would be a huge challenge... The green lens for a start!

I'll see how I get on with the better one first... I think it will be a challenge, I've never tried anything like this before.... And I can't see colours properly!!!!

They will all be future projects!

Now just to find out if Darren wants some huge transformer relay thingies..... The glass one is however under threat of being converted into a table lamp!  :)

Well this is MAD modder    :mmr:

Ralph.  :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »
My mind is heavily cleansed  :med: I am at one with the collective  :borg:     :lol:

BOTH!!!???  The signal lamp would be a huge challenge... The green lens for a start!

Now just to find out if Darren wants some huge transformer relay thingies..... The glass one is however under threat of being converted into a table lamp!  :)

Well this is MAD modder    :mmr:

Yes, BOTH. You could always use green saran wrap for the lens   :lol: :lol:

That is a neat idea for a table lamp. Told ya, I dig the led (light) art!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
Ralph,

When I go to the Malpas Rally in September, there are usually a few guys displaying lamps like that, but not all polished up, just cleaned up, and sometimes a bit of a repaint.

Don't let them find out where you live, they will murder you in your sleep for those two. Especially if they came from a dedicated line like Llangollen. Welshmen are known to give up their pet sheep and wellingtons for one of those.

The guys on the stands are hardly ever there, they are busy scrabbling thru all the junk stands trying to find more of the things.

A real nice find.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »
Hi Ralph

Great Lamps:- but be carfull you don't over restore them these antique things can lose their value if you over do it, do a bit of research first  :smart:

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »

Don't you B*&^%&y dare Ralph or I will have to visit you a lot sooner than planned !!!

I spotted two black boxes that look like transformers, any info on them? Near to the glass relay in the picture.

BTW, thw lamps are very interesting, please take care of what you do with them. Quite collectible I should think?

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »
Looks like a good project for a small electrocleaning bath.  We electroclean nickel forms (tools to make lenses) at work.  All you need is a tub to submerse the part in, a source of DC current (we use expensive rectifiers, but you can substitute a car battery charger) connected to an anode, and the cleaning solution.  I can find out exactly what we use, but it's really just a commercially available cleaner.

Parts come out unbeliveably shiny and clean in just a short time.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 07:54:56 PM »
Hi Ralph

Great Lamps:- but be carfull you don't over restore them these antique things can lose their value if you over do it, do a bit of research first  :smart:

Cheers
Stew

Stew is quite correct in his statement!  I make that style of lamp on the rare occasion and the interior decorators that commission them often ask me to distress them (copy that as beat the hell out of them to make them look old).  My favorite purveyor of antiquities (she sells more of my stuff than the others) tells me that un-restored is in. 

Just brush the loose dust off and leave them be!  Don't even clean the soot off the glass.

Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »
mmm.... I see so if I'm correct... I'm not to go at em with a wire wheel on an die grinder then ehh?  :dremel:
I'm not that dim!! (John... stay silent!  :lol: )

Darren,
 you want more detail on the black boxes there are schematics on the sides... I will get info tomorrow.  and I'm not allowed to make a table lamp? why?   :(

John,

the old guy told me that his brother was given them by a guy who worked Llangollen rail line, he knew how they both worked etc... Was there for best part of an hour chatting about all sorts... He has boxes of old tooling for lathes etc but stopped machining over 15 years ago. he is going to give me a call when he knows what he is willing to let go.... I told him as long as he doesn't scrap anything... Like he was going to with all these!!!!!!!!!

Stew,

I will reserch the details first... Just got to know where to start.... I was thinking of cleaning for starters and then the parafin one looks ready to run... Very little damage  :thumbup:

Eric,

I may have a contact who works in the stained glass industry... I may have to try calling in a favour? I haven't seen him for about 8 years... I wil see?

Roger,
From the sound of the post just after yours I'm not allowed!!

Rog, I hear you loud and clear... I'm going to have to do my homework then ehh!!??

Got a new topic to write up now... I'll see where I get to on these during next week. Thank you all for your comments, they have not fallen on deaf ears.

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
Ralph,

The one on the right looks to be an inspectors lamp. This would be the guy that checks the railroad cars out after they are assembled into a train. At least that is what it would be used for over in the states. The one with the lens missing is probably a switch mans signal lantern. I don't know what other terms are used for the various personal on the railroad. The large relays looks like they are signal relays used to operate the railroad signals along the railroad.

To clean such items we here in the states us lye. Put some lye in water and place the whole lantern in. Let soak for a day or two, then use a very fine stainless steel or brass brush to clean off the surface rust.

That's about how much I know about lantern restoration 101.  :lol:  But it works, I know I've done it before.

I'll have to take some pics of my lanterns and post them.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »
Ralph,

Here's some pics of two distinct lanterns.

The first is an "inspectors lantern". This is the guy that would check out the under carriage of the cars to make sure everything is OK. Note it has a curved mirror in the back of the glass to amplifiy the light. I've had it lit and it looks neat at night.

This lantern is a "switchmans" lantern. He was the guy on the ground throwing the turnouts when shunting cars. It was mainly used at night to signal direction, speed and movememnt to the driver.

Here's my collection I anmassed over time. This is a hobby onto itself. So is collecting other RR memoribila (sp?).

And here's the stuff I soak them in for a few days. I'm sure you'll be able to find lye in the UK.

Unfortunatlry I don't have any brushes right now to show you. I haven't collected lanterns in quite a while. As a matter of fact I've been thinking of selling them and using the money for tool buying. But probably not.

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »
WOW Bernd  :bugeye:, you weren't kidding about the lamp collectoin!!

I like the look of those  :)

I'll investigate the origine and details of both the lamps before I do anything..... But the lye is worth me investigating too. What else can it do....? Besides unblocking drains!

Ralph.

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
Lye is a generic name for caustic soda. 

As rleete mentioned electrolytic rust removal in his post it is worth noting that while "washing soda" is specified in most of the online directions, lye can be substituted as it is just a more concentrated form.  The "soda" alters the PH level of the water used for electrolyte, therefore improving the electrical characteristics.

Also it should be noted that caustic soda dissolves aluminum, leaving a gelatinous mass where the part once was. 

Link to the British Horological Institute:
http://www.bhi.co.uk/aHints/rust.html

Link to Stove Bolt PDF on the process.  Note the safety warnings about using stainless steel as cathodes, it can be dangerous.
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolysis.pdf

Link to the Texas A&M University, Nautical Archeology Program "Iron Artifact Preservation Information Page":
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/anth605/File10a.htm

This method works!  It is simple and as long as certain simple safety protocols are observed, yields no toxic material which is hard to dispose of. 
Roger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »
Ralph,

Roger pretty much covered the lye issue. Forgot that is was caustic soda.

I use it for getting the rust off of lanterns and it's great for cleaning drains too.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »
Thanks Guys... I will certainly keep it in mind.

I used to use a 25G drum of strong caustic and water mix to clean off the old Landrover engine blocks when I worked in a re-manufacturers, took all the paint and gunk off a treat!  :)

Speaking of the Landrover thing.... As I was!!  I was tidying up this evening and found 2 magazines from 1999... I'm in both of them fitting stuff to Landys. A mere 24 years old!!!   :lol:  it's really funny seeing yourself the way you were..... Even when you've only changed a little... Well, expanded!!!  :bugeye:

Anyway, back to the point, I can see the caustic working well, I don't think there will be any Aluminium in the lamps?

I'll be 100% about whatever I do before I do it though!

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
I'm in both of them fitting stuff to Landys. A mere 24 years old!!!   :lol:  it's really funny seeing yourself the way you were..... Even when you've only changed a little... Well, expanded!!!  :bugeye:

Ralph.

You know Ralph  :worthless: of you working on the Landys.  :lol:

We want a good laugh too!  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »
Speaking of the Landrover thing.... As I was!!  I was tidying up this evening and found 2 magazines from 1999... I'm in both of them fitting stuff to Landys. A mere 24 years old!!!   :lol:  it's really funny seeing yourself the way you were..... Even when you've only changed a little... Well, expanded!!!  :bugeye:
Ralph.

People often ask why I have several magazines framed on my office wall.  They either have my helicopter on the cover or a cover article about my helicopters.  Yeah, it is kind of a kick to see yourself or some of your handiwork published in an international publication.  The first picture I saw of myself in Kitplanes drove home just HOW big my bald spot really was :(
Roger

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »
Bernd,

You know Ralph   :worthless:  of you working on the Landys. 

We want a good laugh too! 

Bernd

I don't think that would be a good idea Bernd.... It may scare of newbies and lurkers!!!  :bugeye: 

Rog,
I've never thought of framing them.... Just keeping them safe so I can prove I was famous once... Even if it was only to a load of landy lovers  :lol: 

Helicopters?? have we ever seen these? I would have thought I'd have remembered?

The first picture I saw of myself in Kitplanes drove home just HOW big my bald spot really was
  Now is that due to age or were you a little big headed at the time of the photo? :lol:.... Sorry, I just had to!!  :D

Your right though.... You have a bit of a buzz knowing your in there :headbang:

Ralph.

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »
Rog,
I've never thought of framing them.... Just keeping them safe so I can prove I was famous once... Even if it was only to a load of landy lovers  :lol: 

Helicopters?? have we ever seen these? I would have thought I'd have remembered?

The first picture I saw of myself in Kitplanes drove home just HOW big my bald spot really was
  Now is that due to age or were you a little big headed at the time of the photo? :lol:.... Sorry, I just had to!!  :D

Your right though.... You have a bit of a buzz knowing your in there :headbang:

Ralph.

All the photo disc are packed away right now.  I'll try to post some photos of the project when I get re-established online at the new place.  I was Lead Technician, parts scrounger, technical writer, technical trainer, and all around shop rat for Revolution Helicopter.  The Mini-500 (single place) was my baby.  I spent many years of my life helping develop the first practical personal helicopter kit.  I was working on the "Voyager" (2 place) project when the owner got divorced and his ex-wife forced the liquidation of the company.  Last time I spoke with the owner, he had sold to a Chinese interest and asked me to relocate to China to continue the project.  I declined as I really don't like that part of the world, however would have been first in line if he had chosen to go the Perth Australia.  :D

As for the bald spot, let's just call it an occupational hazard.  After spending my youth building and wheeling sprint cars,midgets and drag cars around the Midwest, the top pad in my Bell and Simpson helmets kind of wore a smooth patch.
Roger

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
As for the bald spot, let's just call it an occupational hazard. 

I just tell people that the massive brain power generates so much heat that it burns off the hair.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »
As for the bald spot, let's just call it an occupational hazard. 

I just tell people that the massive brain power generates so much heat that it burns off the hair.

When the punk kids start in about my bald spot I just remind them that "God gave me brains and gave you hair" and walk away.
Roger

bogstandard

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »
Rog,

Never let being folically challenged worry you.

I am lucky and mine has stopped half way back, but my father always used to say, "It isn't baldness, just an exceptionally high forehead, and that is a sure sign of a superior brain."

John

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
Rog,

Never let being folically challenged worry you.

I am lucky and mine has stopped half way back, but my father always used to say, "It isn't baldness, just an exceptionally high forehead, and that is a sure sign of a superior brain."

John

LOL Bog:  :lol:

I lost all of my hair the first time when I was 16.  I had a bout with cancer and they were adamant that I stood exactly ZERO chance of survival past a year, but decided to irradiate me anyway.  The radiation cause my hair to drop out for several months then it grew back in full and bushier than ever.

Being bald didn't really bother me too much but the radiation induced glow kept me awake at night!   :lol:
Roger

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 04:24:50 PM »
OK Ralph

No ones asked this up to know but I've been bursting to ask it:-- What were your three wishes ? ? ?.   :lol:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road