Author Topic: Clock project  (Read 10373 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Clock project
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
Now it may not look like it at the moment but the clock pictured is probably the luckiest clock in the world.
My grandad was making his way through Belgium towards Dunkirk and came upon this clock in the ruins of a bombed building. He said all that was left of this building was the fireplace and perched on the mantlepiece was this clock still ticking and keeping good time. Even though there was a policy against looting he could not bare to leave this for the germans who where hot on the heels of the retreating troops.
When my grandad died at the ripe old age of 89 my mother got posession of the clock which had ceased to working somewhere in that time. My mom died two weeks ago and today my sisters and I where clearing stuff out of her house and taking stuff down the tip. My sister where bickering the whole day and the younger one, out of temper was throwing stuff without checking. Anyway while on my final trip of the day to the tip I only wood and metal but decided to clear a few bits out of the car and walked up to the landfill skip and placed to one side was grandads clock. my sister must have chucked it and one of the council blokes must have spotted it and placed it to one side. I could not believe it, it had sustained some damage but there it was. I had forgotten all about it until then.
So there it is I have myself a project that I dont even know if I am capable of. Restoring this clock.
This will be a long drawn out project for me as I have never worked with clockworks so may be asking for lots of advice.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Clock project
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »
Before you do anything on it, I`d drop by the NAWCC forum and see if someone can tell you more about it. Being so old with such a great story to its name, I`d try and get more info on it. Are there any name stamps/markings anywhere?

Chris

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
there are marking but they are not English they are "BREVETE SGDG" marked twice so I think this may be important, "DOVEMENT" but that is around a key so it may just be what the key is for. "PEWEIL" same again, "SONIENIE" and again. There is other markings but they are hard to make out until i clean it.
what is NAWCC?
never mind got them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:19:43 PM by shipto »
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:27:22 PM »
A good catch!

The French use Brevete for Patent(ed). SGDG is a bit like "Pat. pending" (it actually stands for Sans Guarantie Du Gouvernement).

and in case it helps:

Sonienie - not sure, but Sonner is to ring, as in ring a bell - so that may be the winder for the chime
Dovement - again, not sure. Doucement is gently/softly, so may be its loudness?
Peweil -no idea!

Dave

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors which have an excellent forum with lots of very very knowledgeable people worldwide! I`m craynerd on nearly every forum I ever visit but I joined NAWCC nearly 10 years ago when I randomly picked horology101, so say hello if you see me although I`m not too active, I just tend to lurk and post my clock build log.

Good luck and watch your eye when you pop the mainspring open  :dremel: :clap:

EDIT: Dave posted while I was so looks like you have some good info there!

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
Thanks for the tip craynerd havent had anything definate yet but will keep an eye on it.
I took the back plate off last night and it looks like the clock was origionally decorated with gold leaf, you can see bits where it has been folded around the edge of the plate. Tried to get a picture but my camera is useless at close ups.
So that is going to be another first for me, learning to apply gold leaf  :coffee:

this pic shows where the leaf has been worn off (I think)

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
Ship,

Speak to John Senior at :-   old(remove this)watchparts@btinternet.com

Bry

Edited by mod to make the email address more secure from email spam harvesters. just remove what is in the brackets, including the brackets themselves to get the address.

Tim
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:06:49 AM by spuddevans »

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
I've been through my pretty hefty French Dictionary and there is no indication of an ordinary word 'Peweil'

'Weil' is a well known surname and disease so I am guessing that this is the maker's name.

A bright bit of inspiration suggests the town of Besancon in the Jura which is in Franche Compte and I know that the town has a Clockmaking Museum from its huge  watch and clockmaking in the past.

And if you think that I am having a senior moment, I went to see the birthplace of non other than Vernier in Ornans which is just around the corner.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Ok I have found out a bit more now I have stripped it down and from NAWWC (thanks craynerd).
The makers are DUVERDREY & BLOQUEL aparently fine french clock makers and the marks on this clock date it between 1902 and 1928.
The words I posted before are mostly wrong but it had so much grime on it I did my best. The picture I have included isnt from mine but is exactly the same. It isnt until you get into the workings that you find the makers name.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 03:10:33 AM »
Nice one, it is looking better all ready. Make sure you take lots of pictures before you start to strip anything then you can see how things were before they were all in  a pile infront of you!!  :headbang:

Many years ago when I first got into clocks, I purchased some Horolene. It is quite expensive but once you have stripped the clock, if you make up a solution and dunk all your brass parts in it, they come out looking like new: http://www.hswalsh.com/Clock-Concentrate-500ml-.aspx?i=HF6017&c=634
If you google "horolene" you`ll find more details but to be honest, I`ve used it a couple of times on non-brass parts so it is useful stuff to have in. Just a suggestion as I expect as you dig further into the clock and begin to strip it, you`ll find lots of things are "gunked up" and will need cleaning.

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 05:53:04 AM »
Hi Shipto

I hate to disagree with Craynerd but I would suggest you avoid using horolene to clean brass, While it will bring the brass up shiny to do this IMO it etches the brass and is not good, there is some evidence to suggest that it etches the zinc out of the brass  and leaves cavities.

I use products made by PIC Creator I have no connection with the company but have used their stuff for a while.

I would also suggest you avoid any product with Zylene in it there are commonly recommeneded to clean brass but it is nastystuff.

What ever you do do it very slowly and take lots of photos.

Best wishes

Mike

Best wishes

If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »
spent a few hours cleaning some of the bigger bits tonight with brasso, just love how polished brass looks  :D

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 04:11:32 AM »
Nice one Shipto - nothing like a bit of elbow grease and brasso!

Rick O Shea - Interesting stuff. I know quite a few people who use it on old brass clock parts and it has always worked very well but I do understand your comments. I do understand it must be harsh stuff chemically in how well it brings up and cuts the top brass surface. Thanks for the info, I may also try some of the products recommended.

By the way, just a correction in what I wrote above:  I said "I`ve used it a couple of times on non-brass parts so it is useful stuff to have in."  It should read... " a couple of times of non-clock brass parts""!!!!

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
Its alive  :headbang:
After much cursing the mainspring I got it mostly put back together today and after a tad of fiddling with the escapment it started ticking away merrily.

I have to admit I did not do much to the escapment itself as I didnt want to fiddle about with that tiny spring.

Also I entrusted the case to a friend and he not only squared up the orgional one he made a new one from oak.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:06:12 PM by shipto »