Author Topic: Fixing hub bearings on a Tricycle.  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Anzaniste

Fixing hub bearings on a Tricycle.
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
My grand sons have a natty tandem tricycle that is quite old. The rear axle has broken in the middle where the freewheel sprocket was pinned through.

The wheels with alloy hubs were attached in the most mickey mouse way imaginable. The 5/8 axle shaft had a sleeve welded on that was a rattling fit inside of the hub which was held on by a cross hole drilled with a sloppy fit bent nail through it. As it was the same on both sides there was no differential action. I reckon this is why the axle snapped in the middle.

I have made a new shaft out of 5/8 En24T. The hubs will have a needle roller clutch drive in them to give some sort of differential action. I have reamed the inside of the ally hubs and made a sleeve that is a nice sliding fit to tale the needle roller clutches.

My question is what is the best type of adhesive to use in this situation and how much clearance should I have to accommodate the glue?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Scuba1

Re: Fixing hub bearings on a Tricycle.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »
I use BOND LOCK bearing fit B641 and a gap of around 0.05mm to give it room to do its job.

ATB

Michael

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:57:09 AM »
I ended up using High Strength Loctite Epoxy. I did something very unusual - I read the instructions and followed them very carefully. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. As always I drank loads of tea. :coffee:
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:19:07 PM »
Well whatever you use, the tea drinking part is the most important bit right after a good dose of looking at stuff.

ATB

Michael