Author Topic: Locks  (Read 3935 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Locks
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:33 PM »
I was just curious if anyone on these boards has an interest in mechanical locks, the mechanism, picking etc.. or perhaps we have some locksmiths in house?

There was a lad at Uni that always had a lock in his hand and after a few weeks of watching and talking to him with interest, I purchased a set of Southord MPXS-20 picks. I played around with them for a good few months and opened a good number of locks with them but mostly by raking so no real skill. I opened only a hand full by actually feeling the pins one by one. I did also purchase a strange contraption to open mortice lever locks which was cracking little idea but I think it snapped or damaged in some way.

I dug them out of a box I had in the loft while having a bit of a clear out yesterday and this morning purchased a cheap padlock to play around with.

So being metal and mechanical, I was wondering if there was any others interested on here. I`ve been googling around and was hoping to find a metal worker that had made a lock of some kind but no luck so far! 

I shouldn`t have to say this as I would hope it would be obvious, but I`m purely interested in the mechanics of locks and the skill behind hand picking them. All the locks I have picked are my own and I would never try and pick a lock for any purposes other than the fun of it!!  :med:  I use to have a box full of old locks I`d picked up over the months but I seriously have no idea where they have gone. I`m almost certain I didn`t bin or sell them!!

So any others interested....or am I alone on this one?

Chris

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Locks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
Was into picking for the magic and props that I built. Was into rekeying, and repair for 30 years as a facility manger. Mostly small format interchangeable core type. Here is a pin kit for the SFIC locks.

Picking in general is for hobbyists, and really low dollar(cheap door locks). Mostly it is to time consuming for a working locksmith. When a universal key is so much easier Drill motor and a 3/8"bit. Drilling the core out is a lot faster and cheaper. Since when a lock gets old anmd worn they can get real hard to pick open.
For padlocks these little suckers work well.

Here are some of my picking tools, which are illegal to be carried in the US with out a locksmithing ID/card or bond card.

Key gauges or readers are a quick way to get the info to make another key.

With the advent of the electronic/chip id keys. The machines can cost upwards of $7,000 US, then the cloning boxes and an assortment of chips/tabs and key blanks It is tending to leave the small time operator out of it.
I have a masterkeying certification and a master locksmith bond card.  The tools sold as locksmithing tools in this country, are generally way over the top in price. I just got an email offering Swiss made 6" warding, pippen and round files for $36.00 each. A lot more then the same files sold at the jewelry supply.

So picking can be fun and challenging, you might win some bar bets. It does take practice,practice,practice,and more practice. Just like bumping does, it takes a lot more practice then the u tube vid's would lead you to believe, again with some older locks it is easier. The little kid in the one vid and the one from Germany with the group of people. What they didn't say is that they get together once a week for 4 to 6 hours and practice.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:00:00 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Pete49

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
What he said......
I'm a retired locky and only picked locks when absolutly necessary, usually to get some body locked out in. Its amazing how many times I went through an unlocked back or side door or a window that was left open. :)
Lock picking tools, even home-made and just for practice, can get u in trouble if found by the local plod as you can be charged with intent or carrying tools for burglary especially if Mr Plod is having a bad hair day.
 :hammer:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
If you like locks as nice bits of engineering the the Victoria and Albert Museum has some cracking exhibits. Have a look next time you are in the Smoke.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:19:28 AM »
Hi Chris,
Yes I am a locksmith, It is the most fantastic and varied occupation that I have ever encountered.
I opened 2 Safes today........................One drilled with a one hole shot and wired open with tools, and the other the store had a lockout problem that was a bit more difficult.
Tomorrows job sound more interesting a Police Station has a problem with there own safe :ddb:.

Just love my job...................................... :beer:

Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »
Hi Beagles,
That will be a stick of tnt and a bit of fiss then  :bugeye:
Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute