Author Topic: Updating my old PEDERSEN VPF-1 with a "new" swingable knee  (Read 12787 times)

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
Updating my old PEDERSEN VPF-1 with a "new" swingable knee
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
I just started this updating - let Google do the translation and look here: http://kelds.weebly.com/udskifte-knaelig-paring-vpf-1.html

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Updating my old PEDERSEN VPF-1 with a "new" swingable knee
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
Hi ksor. I have no problem reading danish but you are a winner if you translate to english at least as a project here.  :thumbup:

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
Very nice work this far!

How bad was the old knee? The spindle and the bearing looked to be in good enough shape?
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
>> saw
You can setup your Google to do the translation for the whole site - this way you can read ANY website you like in your native language.

>>Henning (hvor kommer du fra ?)
When I was moving the plane IN/OUT there was some cracking sounds - like broken teeth on some wheels somewhere.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:15:27 PM »
Hi ksor, I think your project looks very interesting, but I am not knowlegeable in making my computer translate.  Anyone want to do a short lesson for some of us? :scratch: :coffee:  Cheers, mad jack

Offline Henning

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »

>>Henning (hvor kommer du fra ?)
When I was moving the plane IN/OUT there was some cracking sounds - like broken teeth on some wheels somewhere.

Jeg kommer fra Norge :-)  (Translation for those of you who do not speak Nordic languages; Ksor asked me where i'm from, i replied i am from Norway)

Madjackghengis:

This link should give you Google translates version:

http://translate.google.no/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkelds.weebly.com%2Fudskifte-knaelig-paring-vpf-1.html&act=url

To do this yourself, open Google in a browser. Then you have some choices top left, one which says translate.
If you go to that and then in the box on top choose; recognise language and then copy and paste the url for the page you would like it to translate into the box it will give you a new link to the right which leads to googles translation of the page. It's become a lot better, but expect some strange words and sentences which sometime look like it's been patch togheter by a band of drunk monkeys.
Henning

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
....... It's become a lot better, but expect some strange words and sentences which sometime look like it's been patch togheter by a band of drunk monkeys.....

Well, one thing I'm fairly sure of - the monkeys won't have Bokmål as their first language as I don't think the price of drink has come down enough there to allow the the monkeys to be paid in booze!   

MVH / Dave  :beer:

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
Yeah - Google translation is not as good as it could be, but ... that's what we got until now.

I once translated a chineese madarin to danish - and beleave me, I COULD understand and get the meaning of the text - I think it's a great tool wee all got there.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline Miner

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
I have a Google translate button right on the tool bar. So far I've found Google works best for Italian. It does fail a bit with technical subjects. Mostly you can figure out what's meant though.

Pete

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 02:39:27 AM »
In a menu somewhere you can choose to ALLWAYS translate my website.

Hope you enjoy !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline Henning

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:45:46 AM »
....... It's become a lot better, but expect some strange words and sentences which sometime look like it's been patch togheter by a band of drunk monkeys.....

Well, one thing I'm fairly sure of - the monkeys won't have Bokmål as their first language as I don't think the price of drink has come down enough there to allow the the monkeys to be paid in booze!   

MVH / Dave  :beer:

Price of drink is steadily increasing, so you're right. Probably not Bokmål monkeys. They wouldn't afford to be drunk  :beer:
Henning

Offline Miner

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »
Ksor,
That's a really nice and fairly large, heavy duty mill you have. I'm not sure just what terminology is used in your country. Over here a mill that will allow the table to swing in a horizontal direction would be called a semi universal mill. That's a lot more work your doing than the average vertical mill would take. Well worth it I think for the extra capability you'll gain. Now you just need to find a universal dividing head to work with that new capability. I'd think your mill could easily turn my Atlas horizontal into chips.

Pete

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »
>>Minor
Oh, it's a very old one and I think that's why I have all this extra work ... right now I long for finishing the "update" and do some FUN stuff with it - I'm not sure I'm aware of all the new potential I got with the update - time will show it.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline Miner

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
Ksor,
If your not too familier with what your new capabilitys will add to your machine then try Googling "Universal Dividing Head".  I'd guess all that work is now done with CNC using a 4 axis machine. Long very low threads per inch for milling threads would be only one example, But it's a very handy addition that's quite rare for most manual mills built today. Machinery's Handbook has a large amount of pages devoted to the use of a universal dividing head used on a semi universal mill. Large drill bits were built on equipment like this too. Helical gears can be done also. In a simplified explanation, You install various gears on the end of the mills X axis leadscrew along with a banjo very much like a plain change gear lathe is set up for to do feeds and threading. This in turn drives the universal dividing head so you get both X axis travel and head rotation at the same time. Swinging the table horizontaly allows you to account for the helix angle.

I bought a universal dividing head even though my vertical mill isn't a semi universal as it's still useable, But not as much as if I did have a semi universal mill.

Your mill may be older, But I'd certainly love to have something like that.

Pete 

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:40:08 AM »
A BIG step further !

http://kelds.weebly.com/udskifte-knaelig-paring-vpf-1.html

Scroll down on the site !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline Henning

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
Congrats!

Then it's on to getting it on the mill! Looking forward to the next operations update  :thumbup:
Henning

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »
>> Henning

Yeah, and this morning I took the whole clump, turned it in the right position and cleaned it.

Then up again and fastened it to the main part - and it did go without problems at all.

Unfortunately I forgot a bolt and now the bolt is too long to enter the hole so I have to dismount it all again !  :doh: :doh:

Training, you know !

http://kelds.weebly.com/udskifte-knaelig-paring-vpf-1.html

Scroll down on the site !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
I came across this head: Wanderer-Werke Typ TK D2

http://kelds.weebly.com/diverse.html

IS that the one for me ?
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
IS that the one for me ?

Looks OK, but how big is it? 

It is a universal type, i.e it can be geared to the table lead-screw to cut spirals and helices (see http://haighton.webhop.net/page20.html) your table can swivel (rotate) to compensate for the helix angle.

Good to see the miller  progressing nicely :)

Bill
Bill

Offline Miner

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
Ksor,
Yes as Bill has already pointed out, That's a universal dividing head. Heads like that should come with about 12 different gears and a type of banjo much like a plain change gear lathes banjo. It's designed to be mounted on the end of your mills table and this allows you to set up various combinations of gear trains to allow the proper head rotation verses the amount of distance the table travels in the X axis. I know less than nothing about your exact mill type, But it's possible you'll see a area machined away on your mills X axis leadscrew bearing hanger to allow different gears to be fixed to the end of the leadscrew. The whole system works much like a gear train set up for cutting threads on a lathe. But very long leads, Or to use a thread cutting term, Very low thread counts per inch. You could for example have one complete thread revolution over 12", And even make it a multi start thread using the dividing head. If I was far more competent with computers I'd find and post some direct links for you about how these heads get set up and used.

Pete

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
Unfortunately another got it !  :doh:
Best regards
KSor, Denmark