Author Topic: A set of tool holders for my QCTP  (Read 6613 times)

Offline David Kirtley

A set of tool holders for my QCTP
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
Well, a bit more practice. I have enough of the stock ones for my insert tooling but I have to swap them out when I want to use HSS tooling. Kind of defeats the purpose of a QCTP. 

I picked up a piece of scrap AL and cut the dovetail in one long strip. Then I cut them apart on the bandsaw and squared them up. I made them a little smaller than the stock ones from A2Z CNC.   I sized them to use the smaller 1/4 and 3/16 tools that Harbor Freight has as opposed to the 3/8 bits that the A2Z holders take.  The last one is not quite finished yet. I am going to drill it to fit the 1/4 round HSS bits to use for boring.

For now, I have the 8-32 SHCS because I am waiting on my order of set screws. The adjuster is a 10-32 brass screw with a knurled knob and lock nut. Just picked these up from the big box store today. I have not tried my knurling tool yet. I just wanted to get these finished so I can use them. I really like the insert tooling on steel but the HSS leaves a better finish on AL.

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
Re: A set of tool holders for my QCTP
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »
Nice work !

I still have mine to do ... http://kelds.weebly.com/vaeligrktoslashjsholdere-til-hurtigskifteren.html

but my milll is down for updating http://kelds.weebly.com/udskifte-knaelig-paring-vpf-1.html

Let Google do the translation for you - set it to ALWAYS translate my website.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline David Kirtley

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:35:19 AM »
That horizontal mill sure leaves a nice finish.  I think my entire tool holder would fit inside of yours :)

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:20:18 AM »
You can never have too many holders.  Great job.

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
Hello.
Nice work,but don't you think that AL is too soft in the long term?
Cheers,Ralph

Offline David Kirtley

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »
The swing up threading tool holder that I just did was in steel but I honestly can't tell any real difference in use.  My lathe only has about a 350-400 watt motor so I really can't push them that hard. The A2Z CNC QCTP comes with aluminum holders. If I had a big lathe, be a different story.  I also made them a bit beefier than the original ones, but that was to use the little 3/16 HSS tools. I can squeeze in a 1/4 bit as well but so far the 3/16 seems to do just fine and I really can't take really heavy cuts anyway.

The AL was my first time cutting dovetails and I was using scrap AL from work ( free- Yay! ) so if they don't hold up in the long run, there really is no loss.

The last update is that I finally bolted on the 4-jaw chuck for the first time and I bored out the last holder for a 1/4in round HSS bit that I am going to grind for boring. I am out of little 8-32 screws anyway so I can't make any more until I get the screws I have on order. I plan to make some more later.  It just feels rich to be to the point of making stuff instead of having to buy everything. That gets old really fast..... :)

They are a lot of fun and I am getting in lots of practice.